How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-18-2007, 03:11 AM

Registered SVX
ss lines

i put s/s lines on my svx from motorsport warehouse a bit pricy but the brake feel was improve ALOT and when i added the cross drilled/ slotted rotors and pure cermaic pads it stops alot quicker put xeon coopers on and its a match made in heaven ( for me anyway some people differ in views ) btw they are a quiet tire with nice all weather grip rain , snow , ice wasnt bad, snow kinda sucked after I high centered it, other than that good tyres
Old 10-18-2007, 06:40 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Yeppers they look JUST like Chike's. And it's all 4 corners.
Hey Chike, was this a red '96 LSi? LOL

I'll just get rid of them.

If the lines look questionable when I take them off, I'll replace them with new, stock lines. I drive aggressively, but not THAT aggressively. I've only ever had one brake line failure, and that was a progressive, "I know it's going" type of thing. Brakes only rarely give a suprise failure, unless modified in some way.
One difference between myself & a lot of y'all, I'm driving my car as a daily driver. I'm not out to explore the limits of it's performance every day, nor am I going to be modifying it to any real extent. Unless those mods are for longevity.

If I were racing it & superheating the brakes, I'd have the SS lines. On an otherwise stock DD, that's overkill.

I bought an SVX because I like them the way Fuji made them. Mr. Iga, who did the final ride/handling tuning, did a FANTASTIC job.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.

Last edited by crazyhorse; 10-18-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:50 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
If I recall (without following the link) the main reason Chike went this route is that SS lines knock you out of Stock class when autocrossing, zip ties have no effect on class.

If they do need replaced, get ready to pay at least twice as much for stock lines ($260 retail/$211 discounted) than what you can get a set of SS lines for.

Are you sure you don't want SS???
Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
If I recall (without following the link) the main reason Chike went this route is that SS lines knock you out of Stock class when autocrossing, zip ties have no effect on class.
Good point, Dave. I had forgotten about the classification issue ....

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 10-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
For $90 you can have the ss braided lines and not have to worry about it any more and have much better braking.
Where are you getting ripped of for lines? $50 at a hydroshop should do the trick! No they do nothing to change braking, then only change pedal feel Earl. Braking is done via the tires.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
hmm

My first SVX had them all over the lines. I thought they were stock, because they were so beautifully spaced....eh, doesn't matter now anyways...R.I.P.....
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:27 PM

Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Where are you getting ripped of for lines? $50 at a hydroshop should do the trick! No they do nothing to change braking, then only change pedal feel Earl. Braking is done via the tires.
If we are getting technical, I suppose we could say the final component is the road surface. I noticed a big difference after replacing my lines with stainless steel lines. There is expansion in the Subaru factory lines that affect the firmness of the petal when braking. Must make some kind of difference in the size 12 shoe contacting the brake petal?

Maybe it is just me. I replaced the rear view mirror the other day with the one with the compass and the automatic dimming feature, and I would have sworn that my car ran better!
Old 10-20-2007, 10:43 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Just to tie this thread up in a nice, pretty bow, I left the lines as-is. My fear being that since they've been restrained, if I let them go now, they've been compromised.
They show no signs of an adverse reaction, so hey, if it ain't broke....
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:37 PM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE=crazyhorse;502722]Just to tie this thread up in a nice, pretty bow, I left the lines as-is. My fear being that since they've been restrained, if I let them go now, they've been compromised.
They show no signs of an adverse reaction, so hey, if it ain't broke....[/
QUOTE]

Buried back in this thread is a statement, from an "automotive engineer", that flexibility will be lost. Not a chance, provided that there is a small space between ties.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-21-2007, 06:59 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
There is expansion in the Subaru factory lines that affect the firmness of the petal when braking.
Yes it affects firmness but firmness does nothing for braking ability. In fact if you replaced them with new OEM lines you would have noticed nearly the same improvement in feel.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Yes it affects firmness but firmness does nothing for braking ability. In fact if you replaced them with new OEM lines you would have noticed nearly the same improvement in feel.
Folks,
Ben is right. The zip ties - and SS lines - only serve to reduce/minimize the expansion of the lines when the brake pedal is pressed down. This reduction/minimization will result in a more immediate transferral of hydraulic pressure through the system to the wheel cylinders (i.e., reduction in the hydraulic "lag time" due to expansion of the lines). Ultimately, the contact area of the pads coming in contact with the rotors is still the same. And, ultimately, once the pads/rotors have achieved maximum "grip", it's the contact patch between the tires and road surface that determines how quickly you actually "stop" (coefficient of rolling friction and all its related physical attributes).
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker