How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-06-2002, 09:50 AM
Green1995SVX

Why does SOA deny us support?

I was thinking today about how SOA's stance has been regarding us SVX owners. It seems they really want nothing to do with us. We have a great club going on here. Has anyone made them aware? It seems like Subaru in Japan is always having events for the SVXers over there etc...

It seems unusual that a company like Subaru, which gets so much business based on brand-loyalty would not want to support us SVXers and work with us. GM, for example, goes out of their way to accomodate the cavalier club. They have an event every year at the plant where they make the cavaler, let us talk to the engineers, make suggestions, tour the plant, see, sit in, and even ride in new concept cars, and they even sponsor a car show and it goes on and on.

So, what's up with subaru? We have their nicest, must expensive "flagship" car. Why no support?

-Mike (Just Venting.)
Old 05-06-2002, 10:35 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Why does SOA deny us support?

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

So, what's up with subaru? We have their nicest, must expensive "flagship" car. Why no support?

-Mike (Just Venting.)

Flagship car is not the SVX. SVX was their bastard child. Their current flagship looks like the impreza or the outback.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-06-2002, 10:52 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: Re: Why does SOA deny us support?

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

Flagship car is not the SVX. SVX was their bastard child. Their current flagship looks like the impreza or the outback.

Lwin
The svx was Subarus "flagship" car of its time. I dont think it was the Justy?

-Mike
Old 05-06-2002, 12:14 PM
Lowered SVX

they must know something we.......

dont about the svx. maybe it is a ticking time bomb or has too many quality quirks. maybe it just doesnt fit into their current lineup so they would rather ignore it. who knows??
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 05-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Here's my take: The SVX is Subaru's "Viet Nam." Their "Bay of Pigs." Their . . . well, you get the point.

It was something that was entered into with the best of intentions only to fall flat on its face. Countless dollars, manpower, etc, poured into a great idea that failed.

It took us years before we were ready to acknowledge Viet Nam. We're still resisting recognizing the Bay of Pigs. They're things we'd just as soon put behind us, and go on.

If not for stipulations of support, levied by the US government for parts availability on imported cars, we might very well be SOL, as far as SOA is concerned, and, in the future (barring a full scale resurgence of love for the marque by someone "important") we shall be.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Green1995SVX

It really is a shame. I wonder if SOA watches this message board... I know GM people lurk on the cav board all the time... <shrugs> I really doubt it.

-Mike
Old 05-06-2002, 01:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
It really is a shame. I wonder if SOA watches this message board... I know GM people lurk on the cav board all the time... <shrugs> I really doubt it.

-Mike
I'm sure if they did, we'd have gotten "letters" by now.

We'd have certainly gotten some kind of stir out of the Yahoo posts, "way back when," if they were monitoring

I'm guessing it's "Out of sight, out of mind."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-06-2002, 01:38 PM
Boone

Mebbe a slew of grey haired or no haired veterans at Layfayette will get some reaction....
Old 05-06-2002, 01:43 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
Mebbe a slew of grey haired or no haired veterans at Layfayette will get some reaction....
With, or without, tater cannons?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-06-2002, 01:47 PM
Boone

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

With, or without, tater cannons?
Hmmm... taters.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
I love taking my svx to subaru, cause you always get looks. People can't believe its a subaru. don't get me wrong, I like the wrx, but next to the svx. Our cars have SO much more class, and character. We at least have to give subaru the credit of creating the car.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:11 PM
svxeno

I just e-mailed the link to this page to SOA. Probably nothing will come of it, however, I tried.

Randy (Wondering if SOA employees have full internet access) ii
Old 05-06-2002, 05:29 PM
sith

So wait Randy ... you're saying the SVX was all a plot to takeover Cuba? It makes so much more sense now...

or.. maybe you didn't mean quite so literally
Old 05-06-2002, 05:47 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Re: Re: Why does SOA deny us support?

Quote:

The svx was Subarus "flagship" car of its time. I dont think it was the Justy?

-Mike
The keys here are "was" and "its time." Sure it is the flag ship then but flag ships do get old and abandoned.

I would like SOA/FHI to do a little more about the state of SVX in the US but if we look from their point of view, we will see a different story. They are a small fish in the big pond and some accidents are better of left forgotten. When Subaru currently has a fair market in the US with the WRX, the last thing they want the consumers to know would be the SVX. They are different cars and in our opinion, SVXes are far better -- but from SOA point of view, imprezas sells better and they will give SOA/FHI more money. Why let consumers aware of trouble prone car they once produced and scare the market away? If people want it, they can do their own research on the SVX.

But I do think that SOA could have some documents that they can circulate with the cars that they created for the US market and their features -- a timeline if you will. Just so that we know they have not really forgotten about the SVX.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-06-2002, 06:25 PM

I know they monitor the i-Club website, but I don't know about here. At least they are trying to pay attention to their current models, and get feedback on them. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Unfortunately, like Randy said, the SVX fell flat on it's face. Beautiful car... bad timing... poor marketing. It was a dark moment in SOA's history, and I think most of the people involved had to fall on their swords. That's why hardly anybody that's left even knows what one is!

And yes, I am a Chicken$hit. Once I figured out the terrible dealer and corporate support for the car, I bailed. There... I said it.

'02 Toyota MR2 Spyder

(Previous '93 SVX Owner)