Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 12-07-2006, 06:39 PM

muffler/exhaust question

im looking into getting a custom exhaust made...and i was wondering what is the best set up and pipe size..im looking for a real low rumble sound not much louder than stock.thanks
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 12-08-2006, 05:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Need more info. What are your future plans? NO2, boost, or just a little tweak here and there? Do you want just the sound or are you looking to improve flow, and which one is more important?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:52 PM

i just want to tweak it hear and there..im wanting a low deep rumble..im looking for mostly soud and a little hp gains if possible
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 12-08-2006, 11:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to subru92svx
I would go with a whole Magnaflow setup. I had my exhaust cut right after my 02 sensors, got rid of precats and started with the new system. I went from there with 2" pipe to a Magnaflow high-flow catalytic converter (part# 94007). From the converter I went to a Magnaflow muffler/resonator (part# 14416). Then From that I went back to a Magnaflow muffler (part# 14266). I used the stock exhaust tips when I had it done, but I'm plaining on doing new ones soon since stock ones are restrictive with their 1.5" inlet. I just haven't found ones I like as much as the stock ones with a 2.25"-2.50" inlet. After it was all done I was getting a nice low rumble, but a nasty resonating sound at 3000k from cutting out my precats. I solved it by purchasing two new Magnaflow precats (part# 50004) and had them installed where the old precats used to sit in the exhaust. Fixed the noise right up. I have heard of others fixing it by installing two small resonators or you could also just leave in the stock precats. I would look on ebay from these parts if you plan on doing your exhaust. You will find they are much cheaper on there then they are on the Magnaflow website. Hope this helped.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:44 PM

I have a 92 SVX and I want to put an exhaust on it. I am going to mod it lightly nothing major and would like to know what would be a good exhasut for a low budget. I want a low rumble, I hate the higher pitched exhaust's found on hondas and acuras.So any input would be appreciated. Thanks In Advance.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:53 PM

I redid the exhaust on my '92. I cut it just behind the cats and put straight pipe to a y then out to 2 glass packs. It keeps it low and not too loud. Right now I have the stock tips but i'm going to put different tips on when i get more money. Either way, it's a good exhaust for keeping it somewhat quiet while adding airflow and deep rumbles. I suggest it and maybe doing something with the cats, but that adds to the cost. Bending, Piping, Glasspacks and all cost me 180.

'92 LS-L, exhaust, intake, audio, ecu 1V4?, hyper ground kit.
Next changes ... PAINT, fix engine problems, 4.44. (GONE)

'97 Impreza Outback Sport, magnaflow muffler, cold air intake, Alpine Type S, MP3/iPod deck, NGK wires, etc.(GONE)
Old 12-10-2006, 08:44 PM

I'll send u a disc

If you want to hear your car "rumble" I could send you a CD that you could listen to in your car. Then the rest of us dont have to listen to it.
I'll even throw in some Honda badges to put on your car.