Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 12:36 PM

Koni & ground control installation guide...

Hi guys !!!!!

My name is Alex and I'm new on this board! I'm from Canada and the Subaru SVX is my fetish car since my dad bought one back in 1994...But now it's mine since 5 years and it's time to refresh the suspension!!!

I see alot of thread about the koni/GC setup using the search option...But nothing clear... I know I need to cut my strut but I dont know where! And what about the GC? Can I just slide it on my strut top like some other setup?

I have some experience with a race setup on my Toyota corolla AE86 but the koni shock seems to use another way to proceed!

By the way, feel free to tell me your comment about this setup!!

So thanks alot everybody and keep enjoy your SVX!!!!

Alex

Last edited by Gloomy; 06-19-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Welcome to the site!

After drilling the bottom of the strut to drain the fluid you cut the top of the strut as close to the top as you can. We used a pipe cutter to do this.

There are perches for the GC that you weld on. Try to be as accurate as possible when doing this so that your adjustments are equal on both sides.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:19 PM

!! I'M SOOO HAPPY !!

I just receive all my suspension component to install my coilovers!
There's some pictures and the installation guide provide by ground control and Koni (you were right Earthword)

So first, let's see the pics

And there's the instructions sheets provide by Ground control and Koni.

so you need to cut off all the stock spring perch and weld on the metal ring provided in the kit.

Now I'm waiting for my OBX camber bolts and Subaru OEM ball joint

Hope this setup will be great and make the car feel a little bit lighter and less understeerable!

Hope too that this write up could help some of you who want to built this setup!

Alexandre
Old 07-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Awesome of you to take pictures of the directions for anyone considering the job. I think youll be quite satisfied with the set up. Ive ridden in Tom's old 5 speed when he had them...and I can honestly say that A: Tom is a madman and B: The susension set up made the car glued to the road even with near bald tires
Enjoy
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 07-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
who'd you buy that set up from, Dayle?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Awesome of you to take pictures of the directions for anyone considering the job. I think youll be quite satisfied with the set up. Ive ridden in Tom's old 5 speed when he had them...and I can honestly say that A: Tom is a madman and B: The susension set up made the car glued to the road even with near bald tires
Enjoy

Thanks alot for the feetbacks!!
I'm really pleased to know that this thread is useful!!
Old 07-02-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly2k3
who'd you buy that set up from, Dayle?
I brought this kit on ebay last week. When I see the auction, I just jump on the ''buy it now'' button!
Old 07-02-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Enjoy

I have nothing but good things to say about the GC set up, i went with the 380F 315R and the car handles amazingly with grip that has made almost every one ive given a ride to scream, very neutral at all speeds, with a little bit of throttle lift over steer. It really made the SVX turn into a go kart.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:33 AM

Ok...I changed my mind.. I want em back now
I'm glad you got it all in one piece, and welcome to the site
Old 07-02-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph1902
Ok...I changed my mind.. I want em back now
I'm glad you got it all in one piece, and welcome to the site
WHA!!!!! I dont know how to thank you, I'm so happy!
Did you buy them directly from ground control? And is that the standar spring rate or a custom one?
Why did you sold them by the way? Planning to put something else?

Alex

Last edited by Gloomy; 07-02-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomy
WHA!!!!! I dont know how to thank you, I'm so happy!
Did you buy them directly from ground control? And is that the standar spring rate or a custom one?
Why did you sold them by the way? Planning to put something else?

Alex
My stock suspension was still descent and other repairs like these took priority for the time being.

I will probably be sourcing the Koni/GC setup again next spring some time when I have everything else dealt with. As for the spring rates I think we talked about that before...(There were alot of people asking about the auction not.. sure who said what ) I got the complete setup from a local SVX'er. The GC's you have are 450 front 300 rear. There is no real standart spring rate for the SVX I believe, although there seems to be a general consensus that about 400 for the front and 300 for the rear is a good balance of performance vs. comfort.

I'm also moding a Probe GT which is a much lighter car than the SVX. The standard TEIN coilover setups for that car are about 504 front and 336 rear. When you get everything put on give us some feedback. Depending on your experience I may get a bit higher spring rate especially in the front.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:53 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
My stock suspension was still descent and other repairs like these took priority for the time being.

I will probably be sourcing the Koni/GC setup again next spring some time when I have everything else dealt with. As for the spring rates I think we talked about that before...(There were alot of people asking about the auction not.. sure who said what ) I got the complete setup from a local SVX'er. The GC's you have are 450 front 300 rear. There is no real standart spring rate for the SVX I believe, although there seems to be a general consensus that about 400 for the front and 300 for the rear is a good balance of performance vs. comfort.

I'm also moding a Probe GT which is a much lighter car than the SVX. The standard TEIN coilover setups for that car are about 504 front and 336 rear. When you get everything put on give us some feedback. Depending on your experience I may get a bit higher spring rate especially in the front.

Unless people started using diffrent spring rates than the origional kits that were installed (Porter's was the firs that I know of... Mine was one of the next in line...)... The origional springrates were 380 (front) and 350 (rear)... However, when mine was built, Porter switched to 325 (rear) because the 350's were approaching the limit of the rear struts ability to control over time. That and his car was alittle "tail happy"... For mine the front springrate of 380 was ratianed while 325 was used for the rear. This has provided excellent handeling in every situation that I have been in (Autocross and weekend driving)... I do have to keep all of my struts on Full FIRM though. Well, not really "Have to", I just like the responsivness more like that... I believe that if you go up to 400 in the front, your struts won't last as long... Best to stick with 380... you really wouldn't need 400 anyway, unless you Autocross more than me and really are competative in "SM" with an SVX... SM is where you will go with the Koni/GC suspesion...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 07-02-2006, 02:06 PM

Hi Alex,

With the terrible condition of the roads in Quebec, especially Montreal, I am curious to see how you find the ride quality after the installation of your new spings etc?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Unless people started using diffrent spring rates than the origional kits that were installed (Porter's was the firs that I know of... Mine was one of the next in line...)... The origional springrates were 380 (front) and 350 (rear)... However, when mine was built, Porter switched to 325 (rear) because the 350's were approaching the limit of the rear struts ability to control over time. That and his car was alittle "tail happy"... For mine the front springrate of 380 was ratianed while 325 was used for the rear. This has provided excellent handeling in every situation that I have been in (Autocross and weekend driving)... I do have to keep all of my struts on Full FIRM though. Well, not really "Have to", I just like the responsivness more like that... I believe that if you go up to 400 in the front, your struts won't last as long... Best to stick with 380... you really wouldn't need 400 anyway, unless you Autocross more than me and really are competative in "SM" with an SVX... SM is where you will go with the Koni/GC suspesion...

I would be surprised if the koni sport shocks had trouble with anything below 500 on an svx. The 350z guys run 504 spring rate on their basic TEIN kit. Compared to other cars with similar curb weights as the SVX, 380 front seems a bit conservative to me.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I would be surprised if the koni sport shocks had trouble with anything below 500 on an svx. The 350z guys run 504 spring rate on their basic TEIN kit. Compared to other cars with similar curb weights as the SVX, 380 front seems a bit conservative to me.
The effective wheel rate may be quite different on a 350Z since it doesnt even use front struts. You just cant compare spring rates to each other you need to know the wheel rate too. You have to remember that 380F 315R (GC said R325 was not avaliable) for me are what close to being 3 times as stiff as stock which is quite a huge jump.