Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 02:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gravija
Grinding sound from FR wheelwell

I parked my car next to a curb and shut it off for about 15 minutes and then started up again, but when i tried to turn the car, there was now a grinding sound from the front right wheelwell.
i pulled over into a nearby parking lot and saw smoke coming from around the wheel and it is really hard to turn more than about 60 deg. to either side.
the sound increases the faster i drive, but the brakes seem to engage fine and don't twist to one side. Huge resistance to turning, could it be the power steering?
anybody have any ideas what it could be?

Last edited by Gravija; 06-07-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:11 AM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravija
I parked my car on a curb and shut it off for about 15 minutes and then started up again, but when i tried to turn the car, there was now a grinding sound from the front right wheelwell.
i pulled over into a nearby parking lot and saw smoke coming from around the wheel and it is really hard to turn more than about 60 deg. to either side.
the sound increases the faster i drive, but the brakes seem to engage fine and don't twist to one side. Huge resistance to turning, could it be the power steering?
anybody have any ideas what it could be?
Was this on purpose or was it an accident that ended up with you up on the curb? Depending on how you got up onto the curb, you might have bent something.

The smoke from around the wheel well sounds strange. How far did you drive before you noticed the smoke?

Have you checked the power steering fluid level?

Good Luck,
Dan
Old 06-07-2006, 11:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gravija
oh, i didn't park ON the curb, i parked next to the curb. like it was parallel to the sidewalk and still on the street.

i drove about a mile before i noticed and im going to check the steering fluid now
Old 06-07-2006, 01:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
The smoke says to me that something that doesn't turn is rubbing against something that does. My first instinct is to say it's your brakes. Subaru brake calipers, in my experience, have a tendency to get sticky and drag - but that doesn't explain why you can't turn your wheels.

I would recommend not driving the car at all until you get this figured out. Without question, fix it where it is or tow it. I think it's likely that something broke or bent. My guess would be tie rod, strut mount or ball joint. I'd put my money on the ball joint, actually.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I would take the tire off and see if the rotor spins at all. Also check the inside of the tire for wearing.

You shouldn't need to do this if you can tell by the smell of the smoke whether it's burned rubber or cooked brake pads.