How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-04-2006, 12:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gravija
keyless entry not responding

My keyless entry system is starting to not respond to the remote (OEM) on the and used to not even respond unless it was like right next to it.
What are the alternatives to the stock remote and will they increase range?

I have read here that keylessride.com makes a transmitter for us, but I would like to know if it increased range or responsiveness at all. Can we also install viper alarms or other security systems like that instead to get better response for the keyless?

Also, what can i do if the door to the radio just flops down. I read there was a gear or something there that would let it down slowly, so i assume mine broke. How much and what kind of work will it require to repair this?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Have you checked the batteries in the original remote? Go to radio Shack and get the GP-27A batteries.They are keyless entry batteries and better than the stack of little button batteries that come stock.

The keyless ride remotes work great. They are smaller, cheaper and easier to use. I have a couple of them and the range seems better and they are much better constructed.

The range is dependent on both the transmitter and the receiving antenna.
The 92-94 receivers and antenna were hidden behind the glove box and that could hinder the range somewhat. The later models had the module under the rear package shelf and they seemed to perform better there.

My son's new 92 pearlie has a viper alarm, replacing the stock one. His range is very good, but not that much better than the stock unit. I am not sure where his antenna is located. The creative people who installed it in ran the red LED behind the SECURITY button. When the system is armed, the word "SECURITY" flashes.

As for the radio door, there is a wire spring that puts tension on the gears on the right side of the door. If you pull out the radio cage assembly, you should be able to see if it is slipped or broken.there are notches that each end of the spring rests in. The spring is part #18 here:

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...ategory=660-B2

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 03-05-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
As for the radio door, there is a wire spring that puts tension on the gears on the right side of the door. If you pull out the radio cage assembly, you should be able to see if it is slipped or broken. there are notches that the end of the spring rest in.
Pictures and removal instructions here: SVX Audio Installation Guide

SubaruParts.com shows item numbers for the individual components (as well as the entire cage assembly), so theoretically you can buy just what's broken.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Wolfeman

Send a message via Yahoo to dwolfe71
I found out that the lighting fuse in the engine block supplies power to the security system and the dash lights (brightening and dimming and the cigarette lighter light). Found this out while jumpering the wrong wires while tracking down my starter interrupt problem. If you have no dash lights and your security system is not responding then check this fuse. The things you learn through trail and error!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gravija
hm, well certain things around the dash don't seem to be lighting up, but i the actual place for tach/speedometer light up fine.

i replaced the battery like a month ago, is it supposed to drain this fast or is my remote just going on me?
if it isn't, ill look into getting one from keyless ride