Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-26-2006, 07:39 PM

Replace Timing Belt Myself?

Do you guys I could figure out and replace the timing belt myself with an uncle who's never worked on a subaru before? I'm 16 and have absolutely no mechanical credentials. The alternative is to let the Subaru Dealer do it for $450. What do you think I should do as this is general maitenance and not under the extended warranty? I'd like to learn how to do it. How long would it take and is it worth it do to yourself?
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 01-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxthc
Do you guys I could figure out and replace the timing belt myself with an uncle who's never worked on a subaru before? I'm 16 and have absolutely no mechanical credentials. The alternative is to let the Subaru Dealer do it for $450. What do you think I should do as this is general maitenance and not under the extended warranty? I'd like to learn how to do it. How long would it take and is it worth it do to yourself?

The T-belt is actually pretty easy on the SVX, if you have a manual (there is one on-line I believe) and you or your uncle has ANY mechanical apptitude, it won't be bad.

Should take about 2-3 hours for a beginer....I'm sure there are a few write-up on here for the process too..
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-26-2006, 07:57 PM
xturboexpress

Its actualy a little tuff... I think atleast. And I've done a couple NA to turbo supra 7M swaps =)

Only problem for me was the gears, I couldn't get them to line back up... while putting the new belt on one got off a tooth or 2 and I coulld never get it back. If it was straight the other was off and vice versa. There is some special tool that holds them both, I def wouldn't do it without that tool.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:58 PM

What tools will I need? Vise?
Old 01-27-2006, 05:25 AM

Quote:
What tools will I need? Vise?
Yes, you'll need a vise to compress the t-belt tensioner, other than that you'll just need basic tools.

Single Belt Subaru's are super easy as far as tiiming belts go, the belt comes with paint marks on it, that line up with dots on all the pulleys, so it's hard to mess up the timing on one.

The hardest thing is getting the crank bolt lose, but a breaker bar and a piece of pipe will fix that.

I can do one in under an hour.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 01-27-2006, 06:15 AM

I replaced a timing belt.

Once.

A bit of wisdom from one of the old Dirty Harry movies: "A man's gotta know his limitations." I know that my marginal technical aptitude greatly exceeds my dreadful mechanical skills, and that sometimes, paying a pro is money well spent.

That said, you can do it, and it will be a good exercise for you.

dcb
Old 01-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
you can do it - here is a great how-to that covers it. As long as you are in there it would be a good idea to change the crank seal.

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com/car/howto/belt/belt.html
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:55 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I agree with the others that its not that difficult. I've also got a how-to in my locker that also includes instructions for replacing the water pump and front engine seals.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...czko/31558.pdf

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:22 AM

What's more important when considering belt replacement, mileage or age?

I still have the original belt and just went over 45k but the belt is probably 10 years old.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybaris
What's more important when considering belt replacement, mileage or age?

I still have the original belt and just went over 45k but the belt is probably 10 years old.
If you want to make sure it's a reliable car, you might want to change it, as it's 10 years old....it won't hurt the motor if it breaks...but it will leave you stranded till it's replaced.....
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 01-27-2006, 11:40 AM

What are the prerequisites to changing the timing belt? Ie. (Water Pump, seals, crank seal,...?) How much is a water pump and everything else to do the major maitenance due at 75k. What tools total will I need to buy?
Old 01-27-2006, 01:12 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
What are the prerequisites to changing the timing belt? Ie. (Water Pump, seals, crank seal,...?) How much is a water pump and everything else to do the major maitenance due at 75k. What tools total will I need to buy?
You should change the water pump, cam, and crank seals while you're in there. It's not difficult at all, but when I did it I was unable to get the cam and crank spockets off to change the seals. It difficult to get the water pump out without removing the sprockets and the rear cover, but it can be done. Water pump was around $75 if I remember.

Breaker bar and a large socket are the only unusual tools you may need, as I understand, the seals can be inserted with some PVC piping.

Overal it wasn't hard, just time consuming

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I took a chance and didn't change the water pump when I changed the timing belt. I did change the cam seals as they were leaking.

Water pump is still fine.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I took a chance and didn't change the water pump when I changed the timing belt. I did change the cam seals as they were leaking.

Water pump is still fine.
At 75k, I wouldn't change the water pump, as it should be good till the next belt change.

The difficulty goes up some if you're doing the seals, as you have to remove the cam sprockets, but if you remember to loosen them while the old belt is still on it, it's not too bad.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 01-27-2006, 02:42 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I really like the way that svxfiles loosens up the crank pulley and cam bolts. He uses a 14-18" long breaker bar and whacks it with a 2-4 lb hammer. It does the same thing as an impact wrench. It worked great for me. Puts much less stress on the crank and cams compared to leaning on a long breaker bar.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.