Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-03-2005, 12:49 PM

2-3 shift flare confusion...

OK...I've been searching the archives all weekend trying to figure out what to do about my tranny issues and I'm confused. It occasionally flares between the 2-3 shift, and sometimes doesn't find 3rd at all. It does not slip in gear once it finds it, though, and when I drop it into 3rd by moving the shifter, it's fine. I've seen several possible fixes here but I'm confused about which one to try. Do I:

a. Adjust the brake band (looser or tighter?)
b. disconnect the tranny resistor behind the battery
c. crush some other resistor somewhere (not sure at all about this one...)
d. get a new transmission.
e. none of the above

The fluid's just been changed with synthetic, and I've made the appropriate sacrifices and supplications to the 4EAT gods.

Thanks for any and all help-
Old 10-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Mine does the same thing. Look forward to an answer as long as it is not a new transmission.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 10-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Any fixes will be temporary. The likely one will be the band brake adjustment. The ultimate solution would be replacing the tranny and the cheapest way to do that would be to look for a 4.11 or 4.44 geared tranny/rear diff from another model Subaru.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:51 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
What about a bad Throttle position sensor? Does the symtom "can't find 3rd rule this out? Mine does the occasional 2-3 flare only on very light throttle. I ran through the trouble codes and sure enough I get a bad TPS and speed sensor.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
2nd/3rd flare.

The flare is caused by the brake band wearing, this is normal, and an adjuster is provided to bring the band clearance back to orignal settings. The adjustment is located on the left/top/front, of the transmission. The adjustment is made by unlocking the lock nut, and screwing the adjuster down till it is as tight as you can get it, with two fingers on a 3" spanner, then unscrew the adjuster out 3 full turns, to set the right clearence.

Don't do the 1/4 turn in/out to find the right setting. Do the full setup as I have discribed it. There are some good posts on doing the job, on the forum. This is not a temporary fix, it is a service adjustment that should be carried out every 100k, just like adjusting the hand brake, and a lot cheaper than replacing the box, $100/$200 should get it done.

All the best.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcuseme
What about a bad Throttle position sensor? Does the symtom "can't find 3rd rule this out? Mine does the occasional 2-3 flare only on very light throttle. I ran through the trouble codes and sure enough I get a bad TPS and speed sensor.
The TPS/speed sensor, would affect all the change points. The 2/3 flare is the brake band as I have just stated above. The fact that it does it only on a light throttle, is because the line pressure is varied with the throttle position, so when the change takes place the pressure is low and the slack band slips, if the pedal is down, the pressure is high and the slack band will grip.

The fix is to adjust the band, before it slips itself to destruction. The codes for the TPS/speed sensor, may disappear at the time.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:30 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Sadly, I adjusted the Brake band last night to no avail. Still getting the 2-3 flare under light load.

Going to look at electrical as the cause. (You say, "Electrical problems, on a Subaru! You must be joking!") I think I'll measure TPS output...try cleaning with contact cleaner, whatever that is, (Radio Shack), then possibly remove and replace. Finally maybe look at replacing the TCU, if I can get one cheap. someone suggested this fixed their problem (last resort).

I won't spend too much more time or money before swapping to manual, but I gotta try something right? I hope you find a solution davew833. Let me know what you come up with.

Marc
Old 10-05-2005, 10:11 AM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcuseme
Sadly, I adjusted the Brake band last night to no avail. Still getting the 2-3 flare under light load.

Going to look at electrical as the cause. (You say, "Electrical problems, on a Subaru! You must be joking!") I think I'll measure TPS output...try cleaning with contact cleaner, whatever that is, (Radio Shack), then possibly remove and replace. Finally maybe look at replacing the TCU, if I can get one cheap. someone suggested this fixed their problem (last resort).

I won't spend too much more time or money before swapping to manual, but I gotta try something right? I hope you find a solution davew833. Let me know what you come up with.

Marc
While I never had the gear hunting, I recently adjusted and cleaned my TPS and it cured the 2-3 flare...Good luck

'92 Pearl LS-L (sans Spoiler) #0993 Mfg. 5/91

"It says here, 'Breakfast any time'...
That's right...
In that case, I'll have the pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment..."
Old 10-05-2005, 10:20 AM

RE: Brake band adjustment

I also did the brake band adjustment last night and at this time I am cautiously optimistic. I got no 2-3 flare during limited driving last night and this morning. (Knock on wood!) Shifts seem to be smoother and tighter although I am getting a slight 'braking' effect under hard acceleration (I may go back and loosen the band a bit).
Old 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Fingers crossed !
Old 10-06-2005, 04:55 PM

Check the TPS first, It is much easier than adjusting the brake band back and fourth. Cleaning only helps when your TPS is dirty not when it is broken.

My tranny was flaring between 2nd and 3rd, especialy at constant speeds, i.e 40, 50 , 60 and minimum load, when i steped on it i was changing gears perfectly. Replaced the TPS and it is running fine now.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:59 PM

Well, the flare came back...

My brake band adjustment was apparently not successful in curing my 2-3 shift flare. Further research of the archives suggests it may be a bad TPS. I'm going to try cleaning or replacing that next. Some good info in the archives, just search for "TPS".
Old 10-10-2005, 06:45 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Pulled the TPS out this weekend and tested it as svx_commuter recommended. Very cool How to !!!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ift+flare+slip

Anyway, I definately have a bad TPS. My measurements consistently shows large spikes between 5 TPS increments (resistance should go up only 10 ohms but actuially spikes in 50 ohm increments). This happens early in throttle opening . After that I have about 10 increments where the resistance flatens then actually goes down! As svx_communter says "That's not supposed to happen"! Your supposed to see a steady rise in resistance...never a drop or area of no change.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:16 AM

Changed my TPS...

I swapped my TPS too... didn't test the old one extensively, but cleaned and set the "new" one to 0.50v. Shifting seems to be much better now.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:59 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Where did you get the "new" TPS?