Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 05-25-2005, 10:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to awdsvxh6
Nos!!??

Im new on the whole NOS issue and i dont wanna be like all the other punk kids who go and get their engines blown up with it. I was wondering if you guys could tell me basically what i need to hook it up (with out damaging my engine of course), like 25-50 shot what ever that means. and the only way im gonna learn it is by asking and i dont wanna ask someone with a civic. so anything is greatly apreciated.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I'm not to familar myself, but I have learned that a wet system is safer. It comes with additional injectors for fuel to prevent it running lean. However the wet system will cost a little more.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:34 AM

some people also said that dry is better then wet. but what is the difference between them?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdsvxh6
some people also said that dry is better then wet. but what is the difference between them?
Dry system just injects the NOS and your stock fuel system has to compensate by adding the extra fuel. a wet system has a fuel injector that splices into your fuel system to add the addition fuel that is needed. At least I believe thats how the systems work. Like I said I havent work with any systems. I just researched them a little, but I desided to go with forced induction instead.

I'm kind of supprised more people havnt already chimed in. I know there are quiet a few others on the board with much more exspierance with NO2. You could also look into the ECU Tune Stage II. Check it out at www.ecutune.com It comes with a reprogramed ECU.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:07 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
NOS allows you to put more oxygen into the engine. Generally speaking, more oxygen + more fuel = more power. N2O gas is 33% oxygen (atoms) by volume, whereas air is 20% oxygen (atoms) by volume. If you were to replace all the air coming into your motor with N2O gas, then you could roughly increase the HP of your motor by (33/20 - 1)*100 = 65%. A few more percent can be added to this number because when liquid N2O vaporizes as its injected into the atmosphere, it becomes very cool and more dense than air. Maybe another 10% HP increase due to that. So, figure that you could potentially increase the HP of your car during a NOS shot to 230*1.75 = 400 HP.

Anyhow, getting the N2O into the motor is roughly the same for dry and wet kits. The difference between the kits is how the *proper* amount of additional fuel is added. Dry nitrous kits accomplish this by increasing the fuel pressure during a NOS shot. When the fuel pressure goes up, the fuel injectors inject more fuel. Wet nitrous kits add more fuel by plumbing the intake manifold with fuel jets that take fuel from your fuel system. These jets work with the fuel injectors during a NOS shot. There is some controversy over which method is better. A dry kit is definitely easier to install. There are several potential problems though. 1) The injectors may not be up to the increased fuel pressure. 2) An injector may be slightly clogged. 3) The manufacturer of the dry nitrous kit cannot easily account for variations in fuel injection response from brand to brand of car. Wet nitrous systems take more work to install. Genearally, the manifold has to be drilled and tapped for the fuel jets, and the fuel lines to the jets need to be installed. Wet nitrous systems can have problems with poor fuel atomization which can lead to fuel pooling in the manifold and a backfire in the intake system.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:08 AM
gettin there....

Send a message via AIM to RedHotSVX Send a message via MSN to RedHotSVX Send a message via Yahoo to RedHotSVX
Nos!!??....wet vs. dry

The wet system injects a mixture of fuel and nitrous at the same time,a dry kit injects nitrous alone into the combustion chamber.......and as far as the 25-50 shot,that's the horsepower gain with that particular system.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
NOS allows you to put more oxygen into the engine. Generally speaking, more oxygen + more fuel = more power. N2O gas is 33% oxygen (atoms) by volume, whereas air is 20% oxygen (atoms) by volume. If you were to replace all the air coming into your motor with N2O gas, then you could roughly increase the HP of your motor by (33/20 - 1)*100 = 65%. A few more percent can be added to this number because when liquid N2O vaporizes as its injected into the atmosphere, it becomes very cool and more dense than air. Maybe another 10% HP increase due to that. So, figure that you could potentially increase the HP of your car during a NOS shot to 230*1.75 = 400 HP.

Anyhow, getting the N2O into the motor is roughly the same for dry and wet kits. The difference between the kits is how the *proper* amount of additional fuel is added. Dry nitrous kits accomplish this by increasing the fuel pressure during a NOS shot. When the fuel pressure goes up, the fuel injectors inject more fuel. Wet nitrous kits add more fuel by plumbing the intake manifold with fuel jets that take fuel from your fuel system. These jets work with the fuel injectors during a NOS shot. There is some controversy over which method is better. A dry kit is definitely easier to install. There are several potential problems though. 1) The injectors may not be up to the increased fuel pressure. 2) An injector may be slightly clogged. 3) The manufacturer of the dry nitrous kit cannot easily account for variations in fuel injection response from brand to brand of car. Wet nitrous systems take more work to install. Genearally, the manifold has to be drilled and tapped for the fuel jets, and the fuel lines to the jets need to be installed. Wet nitrous systems can have problems with poor fuel atomization which can lead to fuel pooling in the manifold and a backfire in the intake system.
ok i just put brand new fuel injectors in mine. all 6 OEM. would those still get clogged? or is that just what heppens with the nitrous?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
Dry system just injects the NOS and your stock fuel system has to compensate by adding the extra fuel. a wet system has a fuel injector that splices into your fuel system to add the addition fuel that is needed. At least I believe thats how the systems work. Like I said I havent work with any systems. I just researched them a little, but I desided to go with forced induction instead.

I'm kind of supprised more people havnt already chimed in. I know there are quiet a few others on the board with much more exspierance with NO2. You could also look into the ECU Tune Stage II. Check it out at www.ecutune.com It comes with a reprogramed ECU.
i have looked into the ecu upgrade fom them and i will get it if i decide to get the nitrous. so right now i am trying to learn as much as i can about it so i dont go and blow something up like myself.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:23 AM

Manufactures usually have good info on sytems. Just check out this link to NOS system by Holley.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...o/GenInfo.html
Old 05-26-2005, 10:26 AM

And here is a tech site for ZEX.

http://www.zex.com/Technical/
Old 05-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Hitchhikin'

A 75-80 shot is safe for an SVX... Feel free to add more, but at your own risk.. I thought there were some SVXs running around with 100 and 125 shots of giggle gas.

Also, make sure to get a bottle warmer with your system, especially on dry systems. The bottle is usually below ideal pressure without it, meaning that you won't get the most out of your system.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
A 75-80 shot is safe for an SVX... Feel free to add more, but at your own risk.. I thought there were some SVXs running around with 100 and 125 shots of giggle gas.

Also, make sure to get a bottle warmer with your system, especially on dry systems. The bottle is usually below ideal pressure without it, meaning that you won't get the most out of your system.
I believe the guys with high shots are running multible stages of small shots. Except for Jess, who managed to turn one of his piston into a ball of melted metal.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92

im not looking for a 75-80 shot. i got arrested for street racing 6 months ago and if i have that much im gonna be temped to use it. there is a 1/8 mile track down the street from me and i would only do a few runs and i only need like 25-40 or so. also i want to see if i can hide the bottle too so nothing big and fancy jus a small one so if and when i get pulled over cant say anything about having nos if he doesnt see it.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
im not looking for a 75-80 shot. i got arrested for street racing 6 months ago and if i have that much im gonna be temped to use it. there is a 1/8 mile track down the street from me and i would only do a few runs and i only need like 25-40 or so. also i want to see if i can hide the bottle too so nothing big and fancy jus a small one so if and when i get pulled over cant say anything about having nos if he doesnt see it.

Ahhhhhh, The bottles are removable. Leave it at home until your planning a trip to the track. It elimanates the both the temptation and legality issues. Also, most states only require that the tank be disconnected, not removed.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:17 PM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
Quote:
Honestly a 75 shot wont make much more of a difference than a 50. As far as hiding it would be easy to make a flase wall in your trunk and hide it behind the rear seats. Or you could get one of those little 2 lb bottles for your glovebox. Or you could be a guinae pig and try THIS out and tell us how it works . If you are interested i have a used NOS sportsman fogger system i will sell.