Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
5mt queery? cable or hydro

I am looking for a new trans. Mine has not detonated yet but I will need one in the short future.

My question is this. What make model and year Subaru's had either a cable or a push style hydro activated clutch with 4.11 gears. I wanna find a good one with low mileage and need somewhere to start. Thnx for any info.

Tom
Old 04-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Green1995SVX

Hey bud... It's "query." Some people might get the wrong idea.

Mike
Old 04-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Heh.. Satin bolt covers and velour covered cables. Heh, heh.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-16-2005, 09:38 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
If your intent is to use this tranny with LAN's SC, then you should be considering either a late model 5MT that can accept STi RA gears (hydro clutch), a very late model WRX tranny (2003+ that has beefed up gears), or you should be considering a 6MT.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Over on the www.legacygt.com and www.subaruforester.com forums no member has reported breaking a 5MT on a 2.5GT or Forester XT. I'm not sure if this is the exact same 5spd in the '03+ WRX, but Subaru's marketing info says it's stronger to deal with the extra torque from a turbo'd 2.5L engine.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
If your intent is to use this tranny with LAN's SC, then you should be considering either a late model 5MT that can accept STi RA gears (hydro clutch), a very late model WRX tranny (2003+ that has beefed up gears), or you should be considering a 6MT.
I do not plan on running the Stage III SC system. I may pick up the stage II nitrous system this summer if all goes well. I also don't want to have to convert my pedals to hydro either as they are setup nicely for a cable. Maybe I can get someone to make me a hydro set of pedals, as I don't feel like doing it myself Anyway I am looking for a replacement trans as mine is on the way out and I need to know what model cars to search. If anyone has that info please splurge it on me . Wow I am really goin along with this Queery thing.

Tom
Old 04-17-2005, 11:03 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
The part numbers for the FXT gears and the '03-'04 WRX gears are identical, so its fair to assume that with the exception of the diff ratio, the FXT and '03-'04 WRX trannies are identical. The FXT can handle more power because the 4.444 final drive reduces the stresses on the gears by 13%. If someone doesn't mind the higher rpms associated with using the FXT tranny, then that's a good choice too.

The '05 Legacy GT gear ratios are identical to the STi non-RA gear ratios, so its a fair bet that the gears in that car are STi non-RA. Those gears are probably about as strong as the '03-'04 WRX gears. And again, the '05 Legacy GT has a 4.11 diff ratio which will reduce the load on the gears by about 5%. This tranny would be a good choice too if you could find one.

I've heard some discussion about the '05 Legacy GT case being stronger, but I haven't seen any proof yet. Someone mentioned that Subaru was using a girdle, but I've got a '05 Legacy GT brochure that has a full page picture of the '05 Legacy driveline, and there's no girdle on the tranny. Maybe Subaru didn't put it in the picture. Maybe its just a rumor.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Maniac modifier

what about the clutch operation? hydro push or pull? cable? I really don't want to change up my pedals.

Tom
Old 04-25-2005, 07:06 PM
THAWA

90-94 legacys NA are 4.111 with the cable setup, but as said in this thread: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25672 You can convert at least some hydro pushers to cable pushers.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Maniac modifier

y not use hydro?? cuz i don't wanna make new pedals and drill holes in my firewall.

Tom
Old 04-25-2005, 08:45 PM

hole

<<y not use hydro?? cuz i don't wanna make new pedals and drill holes in my firewall.>>

with any manual conversion of the SVX, your going to have to drill holes in the firewall. I used a cable clutch and I just had to drill one hole. If your using hydro clutch, you have to drill at least one also.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Maniac modifier

I already have the cable conversion done. THis is only if i wanna get a new tranny.

TOm
Old 04-25-2005, 09:53 PM
THAWA

I see, why do you have to make pedals? Does the hydraulic setup not fit? What part is wrong?
Old 04-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
I see, why do you have to make pedals? Does the hydraulic setup not fit? What part is wrong?

I aksed Jesse(Subafreak) this questions when i found out he was doing his 6mt conversion. I mentioned that it was a good idea dn asked if I could use my cable pedals for a hydro setup and he said definately not. So, I i wanna go hydro, i gotta make new pedals

Tom
Old 04-26-2005, 09:28 PM
THAWA

I think we may be miscommunicating. I understand there is a difference between hydro pedals and cable pedals. I was asking why you have to MAKE the pedals, instead of being able to buy them.