IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Front main sprocket stuck

Arghh.

My replacement engine is giving me a pain in the arse.
Finally had nice weather today to drag it out and planned to replace the oil pump, water pump, timing belt, and cam seals.
Got as far as getting the timing belt off and I can't get the main sprocket to budge.
I guess there must be a special tool to remove it. It has just slid right off on the other svxii every time. I don't want to pry on it and damage the teeth for the crank position sensors.

Can't budge the cam sprocket bolts either. I guess I have to spend the money on the subaru tools.

Anybody got any redneck methods of removing it? Slide hammer?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I take it that you have already removed the half moon key? As for the the cam sprokets, I used a strap wrench to hold it still while loosening the bolt.

KuoH
Old 03-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Have not removed the key. Never had to before but thanks, I'll try that next.

I was using a strap wrench on the cam sprockets but couldn't get it tight enough to hold them still.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 03-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
A piece of steel with a couple strategically drilled bolt holes to accomodate bolts/nuts that will reach in between the sprocket spokes will work just dandy. Nothing you can't find at Home Depot.

The crank sprocket is probably just stuck on old, dry oil. Soak it a little and use a bar to walk it off. Or use a gear puller...
Old 03-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Just to clarify. I have the crank pulley off, it is the crank sprocket that is stuck.
I tried to remove the half moon key but couldn't get it out even with a vise grip on it. It moved a little but wouldnt come out.

I have PB blaster on it now.

It doesnt look like any of the holes in the sprocket are threaded where I could get nuts into it to drive it off or grab hold of it. Probably going to need a gear puller.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
I know from past experience that the cam sprockets are very hard to get off the first time. The subie dealer tool is nothing more that a wrench the graps the sprockets teeth. The bolts are about 90ft lbs tight.
Somthing like this might work Wrench

If that does not work and you are going to replace the valve cover seals, use a flat screwdriver on the inner cam gear teeth. It worked for me when I need to snap the cam sprocket bolt off.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 03-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Imagine a bar with two bolts through it forming the letter 'F'. Put the two bolts into the center of the cam sprocket and hang onto the long end of the bar while breaking the bolt loose. TIP: make the inner bolt a slot and it will be adjustable for other cars... Any metal to metal contact with the belt teeth can twist the sprocket or damage the teeth, causing sharp edges that aren't exactly good for the belt.

The crank sprocket many times will be stuck by oil grunge. Usually some PB and a little judicious prying with a heavy screwdriver or a small lady foot bar (available at most any place that sells tools - also known as a rolling foot bar.)
Old 03-13-2005, 06:35 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
I know the feeling Matt, when I did my T-belt I got as far as you did and then gave up on the sprockets. I changed the waterpump without removing the rear dust shield, not fun.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 03-14-2005, 01:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
If the key is stuck, there is the possibility that it might somehow be wedged between the shaft and sprocket. This happend to a friend's SVX when the bolt holding the crank pulley came loose and sheared the key. We could never get the other half of the key that was stuck under the sprocket out nor could we get the sprocket off using a puller.

On the strap wrench, you will need to have help. It isn't possible for you to hold the wrench tight and use the breaker bar at the same time. Make sure you both wear thick gloves, as one slip could easily mean mashed fingers.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Have not removed the key. Never had to before but thanks, I'll try that next. I was using a strap wrench on the cam sprockets but couldn't get it tight enough to hold them still.

Last edited by kuoh; 03-14-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I had to tap the holes in the crank sprocket the first time I took one off. Then I was able to use a puller. You may have to push the sprocket back on all the way to get the half key out.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Good ideas! Thanks guys, I'll have another go at it this weekend. I've been spraying it with PB blaster every morning before heading to work.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Good ideas! Thanks guys, I'll have another go at it this weekend. I've been spraying it with PB blaster every morning before heading to work.
Good luck Matt.

Todd
Old 03-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Finally got it off today. I was able to get the key out with much struggling and a vise grip. Even with the key out the sprocket wouldn't budge though.

Had to buy a gear puller to get it off. I had to use the gear puller all the way until it was off completely- it never loosened up. Ended up breaking a bunch of teeth off of the back of the sprocket from where the 3 gear puller tongs grab it- the ones that go for the crank angle/position sensors - so it looks like I have to get a new sprocket now or use the one off my svx. There was alot of rust on the shaft. Took some 400 grit to it and buffed it out.

Also changed out the oil pump, water pump, and cam seals. No drama on any of those other than the old water pump was rusty inside.

Used Beav's idea and made up a tool to hold the cam sprockets in place to break the bolts free.

Next up - valve cover gaskets, rear main seal, timing belt, and swap my intake over to this engine. Then it's time to put the engine in and get back on the street! Just waiting for my parts order to come in. If all goes well I might be back on the street next weekend!