Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueSVX
EGR system

My CEL will flicker on once in a while, and its storing a code 56 for the EGR system. I cleared the codes I was getting before (for knock and oxygen sensors, which have been replaced) but this one came up again. Is this probably just the valve sticking or gunk in the system? If so, how to clean it out? My mpg isn't very good either, under 15, although my driving is all in city and I do have a lead foot. I'll will be taking it on a long drive soon so I will check it again then. Other than that, the car runs great. Thanks in advance.

Now part of the DSM crowd: 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Old 03-09-2005, 03:02 PM

check all the air hoses for any licking maybe when you replace the knock you left something loose and if you found one make sure to reset the computer. did this happend after the replacement of the sensors?? hope this will help
Old 03-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I cleaned my EGR system out with brake cleaner and CE when away. It was a pain to remove the valve. Allso check the vacume lines the run to and from the EGR valve. Clean out the hole in the intake manifold where the EGR tube runs in, mine was all most pluged completly.

think it would be eazer to fix if I knew what the ECU is looking for when it comes to EGR. The only thing I can see its the EGR temp senser on the top of the intake manifold. which would explane why the code went away after I cleand out the tubing.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Check to make sure that code 56 is the only stored code. I was getting a 56 and a 21 (coolant sensor). Once the sensor was replaced the code 56 never returned. The EGR system will have problems if some other sensor is not working properly. If you do not have other codes, then it is probably a vacuum leak.

-Matt
Old 03-09-2005, 06:00 PM

Long Time Ago Someone Post An Advice "when Having A Whole Lot Of Codes From Ecu Got Start From The Chipest, One By One Reseting The Computer Each Time" Every Part Is Made To Work With Another..
Old 03-09-2005, 06:09 PM

Just A Couple Of Days Back I Removed The Hose Or What Ever Is Called Where The Air Travel In To The Intake. When A Put It Back Together A Forgot To Plug One Of The Hoses. And I Started To Get Code For The Purge Selenoid (sorry For The Mispell). I Search To Get More Inf. Here But Nothing Real. So I Check The Car For Anything. And I Found The Hose That Wasn't Conected To The Intake. Put It Back Reset Computer And Problem Solved!!!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueSVX
Code 56 is the only code in there. I had this before I replaced the sensors, so nothing got knocked loose. I'll take a look at it this weekend when I have more time. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Now part of the DSM crowd: 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Old 03-11-2005, 11:59 AM
SVX Appeal

I had also been getting intermittent codes for the EGR system and the engine temperature sensor. The check engine light usually flickered a few times while the engine was warming up, but then went away. I replaced the temperature sensor because it was inexpensive, easy to do, and seemed to be the most likely cause of both codes.

It didn't fix anything. I figure that a bad temperature sensor could also trigger an EGR code, but not the other way around. It seems to me that my problem might have been a bad connection somewhere, but I've been to lazy to look into it further.

--- time passes ---

Anecdotally, I dumped a gallon of toluene into my fuel tank and the CE light went away within a week. Unfortunately, I'm really not sure if this is related because the weather warmed up about ten degrees about the same time. Neither of these things may have anything to do with the CE light, but it hasn't even flickered once in a couple of months.

It's too bad none of these events can provide any conclusive evidence of a cause, but I suspect they're all significant in some way. I'm curious to see if my CE light starts acting up again next winter. If it doesn't recur, I can assume the toluene worked some kind of magic or the problem just decided to cure itself for no reason. I'm leaning towards the random self-healing explanation, but after several months of persistent CE light flickering, it's strange that it would happen the same week as the toluene experiment.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It may be that the additive cleaned enough goop from the EGR temp sensor that it could better reflect the temp increase when the EGR opened. That is the reason for its existence, when the EGR valve is commanded to open the only way for the computer (in this system) to know whether or not it actually did open is to detect exhaust gas temp flowing past the sensor.

The coolant sensor may have been bad anyway. The only correlation between the two is when the engine is cold the EGR will not be commanded to open.

Last edited by Beav; 03-12-2005 at 04:50 PM.