Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-22-2004, 09:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Question Over heating?

Hi all,

form a couple of days I am feeling some heat on my feet near pedals. Since here now a days, it is very cold all the day, I am not using AC. I am startin to feel hot air at my feet, soon after a couple of minutes drive even at low speeds only.

Is there anything goin wrong in my engine, or is it normal on all SVXes (i don't think so)?

thanks in advance,
Pavan.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:06 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Pavan, it is normal to feel that heat coming in to the cabin. After drive for me...usually about 30 minutes or so the cabin will get hot. Happens more in the summer because it is allready hot outside. You can also feel heat from the center console and radio. The heat you feel might be coming from the floor vents. Try pressing the button next to the vent button and see if the feeling goes away. Either way i think its ok and normal for our cars.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 10-22-2004, 10:07 PM

Press the "circ" button next to "vent" and that should close the vent and stop the air from coming in.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:09 PM
deruvian

A somewhat common problem is a frozen thermostat, which I believe can have the symptoms that you mentioned

A good way to tell if this is the case is to drive the car until it is warmed up (keep the heater off), and then check both of the radiator lines. If the top line is warm or hot, and the bottom line is cold, then the thermostat could be siezed shut. However, I would let the car cool, and then try this test again. Just because it does it once does not mean that the thermostat is frozen. The thermostat simply may not have warmed up enough to open.

Some people have had issues with the floor vents not closing all the way... Even when the environmental controls have been turned off. Although this is a rare problem, it is a possibility.

Also, be sure to check the fluid in the radiator itself, not the overflow tank. Make sure that the car is cold, though (just in case you didn't know that already)! The line between the radiator and the overflow tank can clog, thus giving an incorrect reading if you only check the tank (i.e. the fluid in the tank may not be returning to the radiator).
Old 10-22-2004, 10:12 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Pavan, it is normal to feel that heat coming in to the cabin. After drive for me...usually about 30 minutes or so the cabin will get hot. Happens more in the summer because it is allready hot outside. You can also feel heat from the center console and radio. The heat you feel might be coming from the floor vents. Try pressing the button next to the vent button and see if the feeling goes away. Either way i think its ok and normal for our cars.
I'm not so sure that it is normal. My first SVX never did this, and my current SVX only did it after I started having water pump and thermostat problems. Once I fixed the problems, the heat entering the passenger area stopped.

Quote:
Press the "circ" button next to "vent" and that should close the vent and stop the air from coming in.
I used to press the "CIRC" button as well, and it will stop the hot air from coming in. This is, however, just a "band-aid" fix for the real problem... Which definitely lies somewhere in your cooling system.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Hi SoobieSVX 93 & deruvian,

thanks for ur prompt replies... i will check for them.... yeah using "circ" may overcome the problem, but seems to be like a band-aid remedy. I will check all htose lines wht u have mentioned and let u know as soon as i check them....

thanks a lot for both of u,
Pavan.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Sue isn't really striped

I've never noticed mine feeling warm.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:11 AM

how much does it run for a water pump and thermostat?

Old 10-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If when you last turned off the A/C or Econ mode you had it heating the cabin then it will flow warm air when turned off.
If you had it cooling the cabin then it will flow cooler outside air once turned off.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:40 PM
deruvian

Quote:
how much does it run for a water pump and thermostat?
From subaruparts.com:
- Water pump assembly, $82.51
- Water pump gasket, $1.94
- Water pump seal, $2.43
- Thermostat, $9.11
- Thermostat gasket, $2.54
Sub-total - $98.53
Shipping - $9.85 (it's usually 10% of the subtotal)
Total - $108.38

If you have someone else install it, expect to pay for about 4 hours labor time. To get to the pump, one must remove the drive belts, alternator, timing belt cover, timing belt... You get the idea.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:31 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian

From subaruparts.com:
- Water pump assembly, $82.51
- Water pump gasket, $1.94
- Water pump seal, $2.43
- Thermostat, $9.11
- Thermostat gasket, $2.54
Sub-total - $98.53
Shipping - $9.85 (it's usually 10% of the subtotal)
Total - $108.38

If you have someone else install it, expect to pay for about 4 hours labor time. To get to the pump, one must remove the drive belts, alternator, timing belt cover, timing belt... You get the idea.
and it's not fun to do without removing the cam pullies and rear timing belt cover either (I have a scar on my hand to prove it)

However I definately wouldn't have paid 4 hrs of labor for it

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-23-2004, 10:08 AM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
If when you last turned off the A/C or Econ mode you had it heating the cabin then it will flow warm air when turned off.
If you had it cooling the cabin then it will flow cooler outside air once turned off.

Mine does the same. My '94 T-Bird had a similar semi-automatic climate control system and did the same thing, so I figured it wasn't a problem...

'92 Pearl LS-L (sans Spoiler) #0993 Mfg. 5/91

"It says here, 'Breakfast any time'...
That's right...
In that case, I'll have the pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment..."
Old 11-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Lost_Thought

Mine is doing that too, and i think it is a problem. The underdash panel on the driver's side of my car was damaged by heat, so much so it was destroyed.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:26 PM

did you fix it?

I fund one solution for the Climate control over heating the passenger compartment for moor information call me at 203-687-6338

Last edited by sharondror; 03-13-2008 at 05:01 PM.