Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-25-2004, 02:30 PM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
Battery Keeps Dying!!!

Ok. I dont know why but my battery just dies out of nowhere. I'll park it and go to bed and the next morning it wont start up. I just got a new battery a couple months ago. I had my alternator checked and they said it was working fine. I dont leave any lights on or anything...it just dies. Any advice?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:43 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
it could be the battery

I've seen vehicles come in with an "occasional dead battery complaint", we load test the battery, it's fine, we check out the charging system, it's fine, everythings fine. They go to leave, and the battery that just tested good, is as dead as can be. Have whoever you got the battery check it, cause ya never know...
Old 08-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Two things to check out here.

Either the battery is faulty and is not taking on the charge the alternator is feeding it, or else the battery is OK, and there is some fault or circuit in your car which is draining current even when the ignition is off.

Assuming you have the battery fully charged up [a voltmeter across it might show 12V, possibly 13 or 14 V on a fully charged up accumulator], you can easily check up if you have a "current leakage" fault like the second one mentioned above.

Do it as follows: with the battery in situ on the car and fully charged up, ignition off and also all lights off and all doors closed so that no bulbs are lighting, remove the positive red terminal from the battery. If you have a current leakage situation, there will be a spark jumping between the battery pole and the terminal as you remove it or when you hold it close to the pole. If there is no spark, there is no current drain, and you are 90+ percent certain your problem relates to the battery.

If the battery is faulty and not retaining charge, bring it back to the suppliers, and get them to put a discharge meter across it. This will probably show that one or more cells are dead, and you require a new unit.

Hope this helps,

Joe

PS: You may lose radio settings doing this, but at least you will determine the problem.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Green1995SVX

Another possible item might be your sunvisors (i know it sounds silly). Many times when an SVXer reports a draining battery, it has to do with 2 tiny wires in the sunvisors becoming stripped and rubbing together. This creates a small short and causes a power drain. Try removing the sun visors (2 screws at the base under a little cap). Then, unplug the wires going into them and see if this solves your problem.

This could also explain the intermitant nature of the problem, because every time you move the sun visor, the wires change position.

Mike
Old 08-26-2004, 10:37 AM
You're mine!!

OK. Thanks for all the help. I noticed that the (+) power wire runing to my batery from my amp was unplugged. Could this have had anything to do with it?
Old 08-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by rob_4187
OK. Thanks for all the help. I noticed that the (+) power wire runing to my batery from my amp was unplugged. Could this have had anything to do with it?
Not unless it's gounding out.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:48 PM
There's a storm coming.

Actually if the hot/+ lead from the alternator to the battery is disconected it will not charge.
When you say "amp" is this some young person crazy rock and roll thing!?
Wadda ya mean "Free Love!", The last one cost me PLENTY! HOY!
Old 08-28-2004, 11:25 AM
You're mine!!

It very well may have been grounding out. It was touching the amp (which is metal) which is grounded to the frame.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Two things to check out here.

Either the battery is faulty and is not taking on the charge the alternator is feeding it, or else the battery is OK, and there is some fault or circuit in your car which is draining current even when the ignition is off.

Assuming you have the battery fully charged up [a voltmeter across it might show 12V, possibly 13 or 14 V on a fully charged up accumulator], you can easily check up if you have a "current leakage" fault like the second one mentioned above.

Do it as follows: with the battery in situ on the car and fully charged up, ignition off and also all lights off and all doors closed so that no bulbs are lighting, remove the positive red terminal from the battery. If you have a current leakage situation, there will be a spark jumping between the battery pole and the terminal as you remove it or when you hold it close to the pole. If there is no spark, there is no current drain, and you are 90+ percent certain your problem relates to the battery.

If the battery is faulty and not retaining charge, bring it back to the suppliers, and get them to put a discharge meter across it. This will probably show that one or more cells are dead, and you require a new unit.

Hope this helps,

Joe

I'm fighting a constant dead battery situation here. The battery is fine and just got fully charged at the maching at the auto parts store. Its an aproximately 7month old red top optima. I've got the tiniest of tiny arc when I put the positive to the terminal. Could this be the problem. I don't have a volt meter, yet...I will soon though im sure. Every time i touch the positive terminal when i see the spark i can hear something "click" inside the cabin. I hear it through the fire wall. Any ideas as to if this is just the fuel pump or if this is something else.???I've also got both sunvisors unplugged right now....Thanks in advance for any and all help...
Old 12-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
A brand new red top like that should be able to accept and retain charge. Assuming it was not faulty from get go.

You should first and foremost see if your battery is taking "full" charge. Not sure exactly what the figure is, but the battery shop that charged it up for you should be able to tell you. I'm guessing a fully charged up battery will be reading 12.8 to 13.5 across the terminals with a voltmeter. It could be even closer to 14. If it is only barely going over 12, or under 12, the battery is faulty and needs to be changed.

Next, assuming you have checked this out and your battery appears to be OK; the little arc you mention may indicate you have a fault somewhere leaking current.

Don't worry about the click you hear. "They all do that". The battery is powering up an "always on" relay somewhere. If the leak is severe, you will probably be able to see the voltage drop with your voltmeter when you put it across the battery terminals.

Assuming you are seeing a voltage drop, you now need to isolate which circuit is leaking. Do this by pulling individual fuses and watching the voltmeter. If you pull a fuse and there is no change, then put it back. If you pull a fuse, and the voltage stops dropping, you have found the circuit that has the leak. It may be something simple like a frayed positive wire that is leaking to earth. If you are not sure how to proceed at this stage, turn it in to an auto electrician, and point out the circuit you think is leaking. They can sort it out from there.

Hope this helps

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
want a fully charged SVX

By the way, forgot to mention one thing.

To save your sanity, until you isolate the problem, there is something you can do to keep the car working.

Go to an auto factors and buy an isolator switch for the battery positive terminal. Rally cars use them, turn a red key, and the battery is isolated from the circuits.

Down side, your clock will always be wrong, and your radio will have to be retuned every time.

Up side, assuming your alternator is charging OK, and the battery is getting charged on trips, your battery will retain its charge for your next trip.

Not an ideal solution, just a survival one.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-27-2004, 05:53 PM
There's a storm coming.

A properly charged 12 volt battery has 12.6 volts. When it's charging, the voltmeter shows up to 14 volts.(or so)
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 12-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Get a volt meter that plugs into your lighter. Get one that displays actual volts and not just the 3 LED's. I noticed that if you don't plug in your alternator you have to rev to about 2500RPM before it starts charging and once it starts it overcharges.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:56 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
i had the same problem with my car. the battery would die, so i would jump start the car and i could drive around forever but as soon as i turned the car off, it was dead. it ended up being the wires going from the alternator to the battery were corroded. so the alternator was working but it couldnt charge the battery.

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 12-30-2004, 09:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
A little trick I learned from auto shop in high school.

Put a 12V light bulb in series with the negative battery terminal. AKA, disconnect the negative battery terminal and hook it up to one side on the bulb. Then connect the other side to the negative battery post.

If there's a large current drain the bulb will be as bright as possible. Try pulling fuses until the bulb is dim/out....Start with aftermarket accessories.

Good luck

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash