How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-15-2004, 02:53 AM
Beldin

Question Rear Diff ? while doing 5MT Conversion

Hi I am in the process of helping my friend do a 5MT Conversion in his '92 SVX. Everything is going great and we hope to be done in about a week.

While installing the rear differential and the rear cv axles we ran into a problem. We are using a 5spd from a 2002 RS so we had to change the rear differential. Well when we went to put the axles back in one will go in but the other will not. The shaft on the one is too long. I looked inside the original rear diff and there is a hole all the way through it. The RS rear diff has a bar going through the middle. Basically the one cv axle has one set of teeth that go into the differential and then it ends. The second axle has that set of teeth then it is about 2 inches longer and has a second set of teeth that fit into the original rear differential. We are using the smallparts kit, a huge pile of crap if I may add, and it doesn't mention anything about this at all but it may be because they expect you to use the WRX tranny that doesn't require a rear diff swap.

Basicaly I am wondering if I can cut off the extra part on the cv axle or is there another cv axle that we can get to replace it.

If this is confusing at all please specify and I can try and explain it better and I can also take some pics if I need to.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2004, 05:32 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
You need to install the ring and pinion out of the RS rear end into the SVX housing, then your original axles will work and you'll have the original LSD rear diff.
There "Might be another rear axle that will work, nut I don't know what year/model you would need, but swaping the ring and pinion is a proven method of making it work.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Beldin

But isn't the gearing different from the RS tranny to the SVX rear Diff?

Or does switching the ring and pinion work?
Old 07-15-2004, 04:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
The ring and pinion are the gearing. By putting the ring and pinion from the RS diff into your SVX's original diff, you're changing the gearing to match your 5MT tranny while retaining the SVX's LSD.

Let us know when you have it all done - and post some pictures!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Beldin

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
The ring and pinion are the gearing. By putting the ring and pinion from the RS diff into your SVX's original diff, you're changing the gearing to match your 5MT tranny while retaining the SVX's LSD.

Let us know when you have it all done - and post some pictures!
Ok that is what I was wondering. I have been meaning to take a few more good pics for people to try and help them out but I sure haven't yet.

We finished the tranny crossmember last night and I am going to take some pics today. It doesn't look as pretty as some others I have seen but it will be very functional and strong.

Thanks for the answers.