Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-14-2004, 08:13 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
I hate to say it but it does sound like a head gasket. Sorry.
That was my first thoughts as well... Then I thought about a thermostat... Doubt it though...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 07-14-2004, 04:36 PM
DearPrudence

No word from the mechanic yet, and I haven't decided whether the "no news is good news" policy applies.

UberRoo:
I don't think the needle made it into the red zone. It was hovering right smack on the line, though, and the sound the engine was making when I popped the hood was utterly horrifying. I felt a little better when I kneeled down and saw coolant on the ground - at least it wasn't entirely dry. And don't worry about me being too hard on my mechanic. He's a great guy, and I enjoy talking him when I go into the shop. Plus, how cool is that he's letting me use his personal car while he's working on mine? That says a lot, and I once read an article in the local paper (from a couple years ago) hailing him as the best mechanic in town for Japanese makes, ESPECIALLY Subarus. Yes, I'm displeased about the problems with my car but I know people make mistakes and let's face it - the SVX is one temperamental little @#$%. My mechanic & I were joking around yesterday about how it's just like a spoiled child - you give them the best of everything but they still hate your guts and throw temper tantrums.

red95svx:
I've got my invoice right here - the water pump was $110, and the thermostat was $13.95.

dcarrb:
The steam was coming from the overflow reservoir. I didn't notice steam coming from anywhere else.

GreenMarineSVX:
Well, I'm just going to prepare myself for the worst and hope for the best. I guess there's nothing to do now but wait. And bite my nails.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
I'm not an expert

But if you need help, let me know. I might be able to lend a hand.
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 07-14-2004, 05:04 PM
DearPrudence

Angry

Called the mechanic just now - he doesn't know. He says it could be a blockage in the radiator or - surprise! - the head gasket. He's telling me that the busted hose was probably just the onset of a huge problem. He's telling me that something caused that hose to burst, and it's probably a problem with the cooling system. I'm thinking it burst because it was an old deteriorated hose but that's just wishful thinking, I guess...

Input, Input!!!! I'm mechanically challenged and need all the info I can get because this may very well be the end of the MA5T3R...
Old 07-14-2004, 05:06 PM
DearPrudence

Re: I'm not an expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
But if you need help, let me know. I might be able to lend a hand.
Got a hanky? I think I want to cry now...
Old 07-14-2004, 06:37 PM

<<He's telling me that the busted hose was probably just the onset of a huge problem. He's telling me that something caused that hose to burst, and it's probably a problem with the cooling system.>>

how many miles does your car have on it?
Old 07-14-2004, 06:47 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by svxpert

how many miles does your car have on it?
120k +/- 500 or so....
Old 07-14-2004, 09:04 PM
DearPrudence

My mechanic's going to do the chemical check for the head gasket tomorrow. What I don't understand is this:

I understand that the head gasket is necessary to maintain compression; but how does a blown gasket cause the engine to have such intermittent and yet chronic overheating problems?

Old 07-14-2004, 10:05 PM

<<120k +/- 500 or so....>>

well, hopefully he's not thinking that this is the original rad hose. i always change mine out at the 60K service. but if you did have it just changed, he might be on to something.

<<I understand that the head gasket is necessary to maintain compression; but how does a blown gasket cause the engine to have such intermittent and yet chronic overheating problems?>>

here it is simply: you have a engine shortblock, its got two heads bolted onto it (one on each side) in between those heads and block are gaskets (headgaskets) to help with the seal during expansion/contracton of the heads to the block. there are water (coolant) jackets throughout the whole assembly where the coolant flows to cool the engine, even the headgaskets. when the engine overheats sometime (more often than not) the headgasket will fail because of the heat. it lets some of the coolant going through the passages out into the cylinder and gets mixed with air, oil and exhaust. when this happens, air and other contaminents get into the coolant system causing it to fail repeatatly. sometimes you won't notice it if you just take short trips and the car doesn't relly heat up. longer trips will get it hot quickly. hope you can get an understanding.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:11 PM
DearPrudence

Thanks, svxpert!

After all the information I've gotten here (thank you, everyone!) and - don't laugh - howstuffworks.com, I'm kinda leaning towards the blown head gasket theory myself. It makes perfect sense, as there's been oil in the coolant for MONTHS. I don't understand why this wasn't addressed sooner. I mean, I just had the timing belt and water pump replaced, so wouldn't it have saved THEM a lot of work and ME a LOT of money to just replace the head gaskets right then? I mean, it couldn't have hurt, right? I'm not happy that I had to find out the hard way, but seeing as how I never actually asked my mechanic directly to evaluate for a bad gasket, his not doing so can't be considered negligent. Ethically, however, he should have KNOWN what was going on and brought up the head gaskets. If I had known two weeks ago what I know now, I'd be driving my OWN car to go on my little road trip vacation this weekend and not renting yet another POS.

PHEW! I really needed to vent!

In any case, I am going to get my car fixed because I love my car and it's still cheaper than buying a new one or even a beater.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Quote:
In any case, I am going to get my car fixed
Yay!

Sure sounds like a hassle.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:34 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by Alycone

Yay!

Sure sounds like a hassle.
That it is, Alcyone! It's crazy what we'll do for love, no?
Old 07-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Yup, the love of my life has first dibs on my paycheck - maybe I should find a way to just direct deposit to my mechanic.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:49 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DearPrudence

INTERESTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you very very much for this info. I hope it won't come to that, because I really do like my mechanic; but if it comes to blows this is very handy information to have.

I told him today how odd I thought it was that I went in with a busted radiator hose and my car is now in worse shape than it was in prior to the hose blowing....
Filling the engine with coolent then slipping the hose on will sometimes help keep from baking the head gasket, but is a rule of thumb when filling most subarus with coolent. sounds like some air in the system.
Hot spots.
phil
Old 07-15-2004, 02:25 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
I hate to point out the obvious, but perhaps your SVX is lonley, it may need another SVX to keep it company...or it just wants your paycheck
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.