Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

But then, I've been labeled a "rebel" from time to time.
Gee, who would have guessed that?

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 03-07-2004, 01:35 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:

If I were Jewish, I probably wouldn't go see the movie. Why should I? I would think that it would be "Fable" to our Jewish brothers (Much like "The Last Temptation" was to Christians -- No, I didn't and won't see this movie). Unless, of course, they just wanted to see what their Christian brothers were talking about, so they'd understand them better. The only other reason would be to try and judge how anti semitic it is.

The actor who played Jesus was "The Count of Monte Christo" and also played opposite Ashley Judd in "High Crimes." I've always liked his work.

You could say that Mel was "selling" his movie to Christians with his pre-screenings. I prefer to think he was trying to get a "temperature reading" of the Christian community. After all, if Christians don't like it to begin with, and he is proclaiming it as an accurate dipiction, it ain't going nowhere and he definitely doesn't want to tick off the ONLY audience the movie is actually geared for.

I also hate that the Church Folks are making an "event" out of the movie by buying up blocks of tickets to distribute to their congregations. If they're going to buy blocks of tickets, I think they should distribute them to those who DON'T go to church, and pay their own way in. But then, I've been labeled a "rebel" from time to time.
I see your points and agree with most of them. All I'm stating is that Jews also watch movies. I would hope they would treat this as any other film they rent at Blockbuster or go to the theater for. I was hoping that before they condemn this movie, they would do so after viewing it. Whether you believe anything in this movie is a matter of choice for each individual. To me the movie was just another film like Gladiator or The Count of Monte Cristo .

No doubt Mel was trying to sell the movie. I think he did a great job of it.

I also found it amusing that the 'Church Folks' did make an event out of it. I went with a few people who knew nothing about the story of Jesus. These are twisted people who find the pain and suffering of others delightful. They laughed for a bit (as did I) but eventually couldn't laugh as much after the 10 minutes of constant beatings. You can only watch so much of it before one finds the beatings boring. The short little clips of Jesus remembering his past helped, but when the violence resumed so did the boredom.

I run into alot of those self proclaimed 'Warriors of Christ' type people all the time. They are the most annoying bunch. I see them fill the entrances to bars/clubs/movie theaters and pass out their little flyers about their get togethers in whichever church or whatever banquet hall of some rental facility and talk about god. They would tell people that they used to drink, drugs, lust for sex, etc and how everything changed after they found Jesus. One of these days, I'll be like Rob and print my own flyers and follow them around. My flyers will be for the underdog, Luci. I'm going to glorify how great alcohol, drugs, sex, money, etc. really is. I really want to anger them and let these hippocrits show their true feathers. Randy, you'll see me on the news one day .

BTW - I didn't think Crouching Tiger was that good of a film .

Last edited by Noir; 03-07-2004 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:57 AM

If they're going to buy blocks of tickets, I think they should distribute them to those who DON'T go to church, and pay their own way in. But then, I've been labeled a "rebel" from time to time.

this would be a waste. not enough information for those who know nothing about the story to grasp anything other than the cruelty of roman torture during that era. the display of generosity for buying blocks of tickets and distributing them to those who don't go to church would be nice, but that is not the case with many christians . quite a few are very selfish with their money and time.

Then again Mel could try to offer free showings after recouping his costs, but you know that'll never happen.

i've always been labeled a 'rebel', but then again, i've been labeled 'arsehole, SOB, and satan spawn (yes really)' and from past experiences, i'm not a person that you would introduce to your mother if you know what i mean . parents typically think i corrupt the minds of their children. go figure.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Went and saw it this weekend.
Good flick, can't dispute that, but I don't think it will do anything towards opening any new eyes.

If you don't know the story you won't get much out of it other than some guy a long time ago was tortured and killed in front of his mother.
They did a weak job of showing the good, and focused mostly on the torture and crucifiction. It felt like the movie was made to point out the torture, not focus on the "passion of christ" I guess this was his artistic or audience aim, but I think it will render the movie pointless to alot of people.

It was sad to me that alot of people in the theater were crying. Actually, it was sad that it took a movie to make them cry. If they knew and believed in the story of Jesus they would not have been shocked into tears by a movie.

Or maybe I am just evil.

Maybe I read the catcher in the rye too many times, but the whole experience was phony to the point where I about puked when the audience clapped after the movie. I think I would have liked it more if it was in my living room.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:04 PM

amen matt.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
It was sad to me that alot of people in the theater were crying. Actually, it was sad that it took a movie to make them cry. If they knew and believed in the story of Jesus they would not have been shocked into tears by a movie.
I agree and disagree with you. I knew the story thorougly before going to the movie, but still I was shocked to see it all played out so raw. I think this was the case for so many, even though they know the story and know exactly what happens, to read it and to see it happen before your eyes are two different things. I believe this really was Mel's purpose.

I wasn't saddened at all, I was actually sorta uplifted by it. It's not something to really be sad about...what happened was our fault and if anything we should be sad for what we did to make Christ's crucifixion necessary. He was sent here for one purpose, to die for us. For that we should be ever thankful.

That's just the way I feel about it and I don't look down on others for having other opinions. You do what you like.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
If they're going to buy blocks of tickets, I think they should distribute them to those who DON'T go to church, and pay their own way in. But then, I've been labeled a "rebel" from time to time.

this would be a waste. not enough information for those who know nothing about the story to grasp anything other than the cruelty of roman torture during that era.

I'm talking more about the people who KNOW the story, but have been "burned" by "church." I'm of the mind that the "Church" is the only organization that "shoots their wounded." Perhaps it would bring those back to the fact that it's not all about "church" but is REALLY all about their personal convictions and relationship. Again, just my opinion.

i've always been labeled a 'rebel', but then again, i've been labeled 'arsehole, SOB, and satan spawn

It's good to know that you're a kindred spirit. We've been called many of the same names.

I run into alot of those self proclaimed 'Warriors of Christ' type people all the time. They are the most annoying bunch.

I'll have to agree.

Randy, you'll see me on the news one day

We'll have to talk about that, some day, over a beer.

and how everything changed after they found Jesus.

See, there's their mistake. JESUS was never lost.

One of these days, I'll be like Rob

Please, stick with "arsehole, SOB and satan spawn". Don't take yourself down to THAT level.

First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 03-08-2004 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Went and saw it this weekend.
Good flick, can't dispute that, but I don't think it will do anything towards opening any new eyes.

I don't think "new eyes" was the intent. I think it was more for "reaffirmation" than trying to bring in new recruits.

If you don't know the story you won't get much out of it other than some guy a long time ago was tortured and killed in front of his mother.

Agreed. That's why I'd recommend going to see it with someone who knows the story, in case one has questions.

They did a weak job of showing the good, and focused mostly on the torture and crucifiction. It felt like the movie was made to point out the torture, not focus on the "passion of christ" I guess this was his artistic or audience aim, but I think it will render the movie pointless to alot of people.

Yes. The focus WAS on the torture and the crucifixion. That's what it was meant to be. To show the suffering that the man went through to reach his intended purpose and his "passion." It was his "passion" to fulfill his "mission" if you will, which was to bear the sins of the entire world. Yes, he presented peace, love and forgiveness -- but, that's a whole 'nother story.

Agreed, again. I had a few moments when I was struck by emotion and shed a tear or two. But, knowing the final outcome helped to keep me from shear sobbing. What really surprised me was the compassion I felt for Judas. I'd never had a story actually stir that compassion in me before. It was always "contempt" rather than compassion. So, in that respect, I think Mel promoted a Christlike quality. Whether it was done on purpose, or not, he did it and I was surprised by it.

Or maybe I am just evil.

I KNOW that's not true.

Maybe I read the catcher in the rye too many times,

Does this mean that you're going to attemt an assasination any time soon?

but the whole experience was phony to the point where I about puked when the audience clapped after the movie. I think I would have liked it more if it was in my living room.

Yeah, that would've sickened me also. There was dead silence after the movie when I went to see it. Now, if the "victory" were protrayed with more verve, I may have seen need to applaud, but, I didn't see THAT in this ending. I think that was Mel's intent: to downplay the "victory" to let the impact of the sacrifice soak in.

Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-08-2004, 10:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I have not seen the movie yet.
What is amazing to me is how refined and dignified the posts on this thread are.
Usually we flame someone for disagreeing about a taillight or pinstripe.

It must be the influence of the supenatural.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 03-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
I saw the movie this past Sunday. I am not a "religious" person (I differentiate between "religious" and "spiritual"). I am not a church goer. I AM a Christian. I found the movie to be #1) A cinemagraphic work of art. #2) An accurate depiction of the four gospels as I've studied them (yes, with some creative license in the periphery, but still accurate), and #3) An excellent vehicle for making Christ real to Christians and Non-Christians alike.

It is abhorrently violent, but the process itself is abhorrently violent. The thing is, the violence may have even stopped short of an actual depiction of the true violence exacted.

Anti semitic? I didn't see it. I, of course held more contempt for the Romans. Does that make it an "anti-Roman" movie. I don't think so. The fact that these were the people of THAT day does not reflect upon the people of THIS day, any more than the movies of the Holocaust reflect upon the Germans of today. The historical fact is that the Jews and the Romans were co-habitants of Jerusalem at the time and therefore responsible for the events in their jurisdiction. However, NOBODY was "responsible" for Christ's death. He WILLINGLY gave up his life. He didn't have to die if he didn't want to, so, those who say that "anyone" is to blame are not in tune with the WHOLE story.

As a Christian, the most significant "take away" I got from the movie was the shame I felt that I had, basically, relegated (unconsciously) Christ to a character in a Bible story, and though having a personal relationship, did not fully appreciate Him. The movie reminded me of His "realness."
Ditto. This post from beginning to end is pretty much everything I would have to say on the subject, except that Randy is a better writer than me.

And on the lighter side, I want to add that Mel has always been my hero and I can't think of one of his movies I don't love. My screenname here almost was Braveheart (have the sword and everything), but decided to go with my old CB handle instead.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 03-08-2004, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
I have not seen the movie yet.
What is amazing to me is how refined and dignified the posts on this thread are.
Usually we flame someone for disagreeing about a taillight or pinstripe.

It must be the influence of the supenatural.
You know you are right Larry. We can't have that now can we?

<Harry points at Randy and calls him a yellow-bellied, possum-eating, buddha-hating, kali-loving, redneck hillbilly.>

Quote:
Originally posted by the Hillbilly known as RWJ
We'll have to talk about that, some day, over a beer.
first beer's on me

first we'll need to find a live newsfeed, then we'll need some masks, signs that say, 'bring back the SVX Fuji Industrial!', and 2 very clean svx's we can put live on the 6 o'clock news .
Old 03-08-2004, 03:41 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

<Harry points at Randy and calls him a yellow-bellied, possum-eating, buddha-hating, kali-loving, redneck hillbilly.>

[color=-blue]Hmmm. Three outta five ain't bad. (I'll let you choose which three)[/color]

first beer's on me

You're on, big guy!

first we'll need to find a live newsfeed, then we'll need some masks, signs that say, 'bring back the SVX Fuji Industrial!', and 2 very clean svx's we can put live on the 6 o'clock news .

Lemme see:

NEWSFEED: I spent the first 12.5 years in broadcast media. I can probably get this done.

MASKS: I got a couple o' balaclava I use for winter possum huntin'. I'll let ya borry one of 'em.

SVXes: I got two of 'em, but I cain't drive 'em bofe. Mine and yours makes two -- I thank. (Haven't done my ciphers in a while, 'specially my guzintas).

You take care o' the signs.

Now, we're all set -- soon's I can find a weekend off.

Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-08-2004, 05:29 PM

lmao.

Stop it, the horror. Properly quoting of posts with pretty blue colors is too much. We must go back to the incoherent way of jumbling up our responses to post made by others!

Randy you are wanted for questioning.

<Harry shines the light at Randy.>

LIES!!!!!!! You really use a MAC don't you?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:32 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
LIES!!!!!!! You really use a MAC don't you?

I have a MAC mind trapped in a PC'er's body. Perhaps, if I go to San Francisco, I can find someone who will have me.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-09-2004, 08:50 AM
I look like Gordon

Thank you Randy, "guzintas" is the funniest thing I have heard all day.