SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2004, 12:38 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
newer trans wiring on old connector

i bought a 01 legacy trans for my svx and im screwed. all i wanted to use was the diff and pinion, but it turns out that the pinions are different. so now the only thing i can do is use the new trans but i don't have the tcu and wiring would be a mess. what i am trying to get at is, is there a way for me to use the tcu connector from the old trans on the new one? i was going to cut both connector and connect matching wires, but the only thing is there are more wires on the new one. Can i just connect the matching wires and hope for the best? I need facts though, last time i asked if i could use the diff and pinion i was told it should work, but guess what, that was wrong so please anyone with this knowledge please let me know asap.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:06 PM
Superbeast

Sorry I don't have any wire diagrams for 01 Subarus but Iwas just wondering, were you trying to get lower gearing for your SVX and what ratio is in the 01 tranny?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 01-31-2004, 04:43 PM
rperry03

Re: newer trans wiring on old connector

Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
i bought a 01 legacy trans for my svx and im screwed. all i wanted to use was the diff and pinion, but it turns out that the pinions are different. so now the only thing i can do is use the new trans but i don't have the tcu and wiring would be a mess. what i am trying to get at is, is there a way for me to use the tcu connector from the old trans on the new one? i was going to cut both connector and connect matching wires, but the only thing is there are more wires on the new one. Can i just connect the matching wires and hope for the best? I need facts though, last time i asked if i could use the diff and pinion i was told it should work, but guess what, that was wrong so please anyone with this knowledge please let me know asap.
Good luck! That 01 is a phase 2 trans and EVERYTHING is different and as far as the electrical goes, you will have to change the pins at the trans, at the TCU along with a TCU from that trans and the connector. Sorry, but I don't see it happening.

The only difference of the front diff is the gear ratio? Right? Change the diff and the rear diff to match.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:42 PM
Maniac modifier

thre new ratio is 4.44 and i can't just change the diff cuz the pinion is different. are you sure i can't just forget about some of the wires or splice them together. also the old pinion is mutilated so i can't use any of it.

i also don't care if the trans will burn up in 50-60 thousand i want to put a 5speed in it anyway to get rid of this mess of automatics anyway

Last edited by TomsSVX; 01-31-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Maniac modifier

i really need wiring diagrams and what the wires go to and what the things do inside the trans, if you could i need diagrams of the 94 and the 01. thnx for ur help i am in deep crap right now
Old 01-31-2004, 11:10 PM
Maniac modifier

from what i have heard the newer ones send info back to the tcu and te older ones didn't, which wires are these and i will leave them out
Old 02-01-2004, 08:59 AM
Maniac modifier

ok i did a little research and found that the 3 sensors are speed sensors but instead of having 3 duty solenoids 2 shfift solenoids the new one has 4 duty solenoids and 2 shift solenoids and 2-4 brake timing solenoid and a low clutch timing solenid. WHat do these do and could i hook up the new wires to the old harness????
Old 02-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Green1995SVX

You do know that you will have to replace your rear diff if you install this transmission, right? Just checking.

Mike
Old 02-01-2004, 01:08 PM
rperry03

Quote:
Originally posted by tomssvx
ok i did a little research and found that the 3 sensors are speed sensors but instead of having 3 duty solenoids 2 shfift solenoids the new one has 4 duty solenoids and 2 shift solenoids and 2-4 brake timing solenoid and a low clutch timing solenid. WHat do these do and could i hook up the new wires to the old harness????
No you cannot use the old TCU you need a new one with the connector. Your info is right about the speed sensors and the solenoids. This link has self destructed!

Last edited by rperry03; 02-01-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:13 PM
rperry03

save it and then use the open with and choose acrobat.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Maniac modifier

i know i would have to change the rear, if i had awd, i am blessed w/ the lighter and faster l series. also i want to know if the legacy transmission in 97 and 98 had the same pinion shaft as the 94 svx. therefore i can use the 4.44 gears i have, making it even faster.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Green1995SVX

You bought an awd transmission though...

Mike
Old 02-02-2004, 09:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Tom, as I'm pretty sure I told you in early January, you need a FWD transmission, unless you're somehow adapting the AWD tranny you bought to make it FWD. Simply not installing the prop shaft isn't going to cut it for a number of reasons.

As for the wiring, I'm going to agree with those before me who said you need the TCU for the tranny you bought.

Still, I don't see how that tranny is going to work in the first place...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-02-2004, 06:05 PM
Maniac modifier

i have come to a new solution, as you have said numerous times, i cannot use the awd tranny and i have decided not to. Now all i need to know is can i get a pinion that will fit my 94 fwd that has 9 teeth for the 4.44 ring gear i have, all i needed was a new diff not a whole tranny.

by the way i believe i could have used the awd tranny if indeed i did remove the tail shaft and swapped out the rear gear on the input shaft for the new one w/ the old one and it would have worked. i tore down the trannies and took a look and it could have been done, if the tranny was not a phase 2. take a look next time u get a chance at urs
Old 02-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Green1995SVX

From where do you get the information that this tranny is 4.44? That year legacy should be 4.11.

Mike