Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2001, 05:51 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Unhappy Strut Blow-Out

On the way home Tuesday I decided to ride on the rumble strips at the side of the road. I think it was around 40 mph that did it in. The next day the car was banging over all the bumps on the road. When I checked this out, jacked up the car and took off the front wheels, there was strut fluid all over the right front strut. What a bad this move this has turned out to be. A few people have said that should not have happened.
Old 09-20-2001, 11:09 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Strut Blow-Out

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
On the way home Tuesday I decided to ride on the rumble strips at the side of the road. I think it was around 40 mph that did it in. The next day the car was banging over all the bumps on the road. When I checked this out, jacked up the car and took off the front wheels, there was strut fluid all over the right front strut. What a bad this move this has turned out to be. A few people have said that should not have happened.
Nope, shouldn't have happened, unless . . . the strut was ready to go in the first place. Just one question: what in the sam hill posessed you to ride on the rumble strips? Just wondering.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-21-2001, 05:14 AM

I was really hoping that no one would ask that question. At this point, in retrospect, it is very embarrassing. Basically I was trying to vibrate the car. Now I am not going to say why unless someone asks. BTW I replaced the front shocks in February of last year. The car was riding great.
Old 09-21-2001, 08:45 AM
oneothefewproud

Basically I was trying to vibrate the car

We all could just guess, but i think the truth would help purify your soul.

Do tell.
Old 09-21-2001, 08:46 AM
I look like Gordon

OK.....asking....
Old 09-21-2001, 09:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
I was really hoping that no one would ask that question. At this point, in retrospect, it is very embarrassing. Basically I was trying to vibrate the car. Now I am not going to say why unless someone asks. BTW I replaced the front shocks in February of last year. The car was riding great.
If I wanted to keep the rumble-strip details from this board, I would have skipped any mention of them. But you didn't. So you have to expect that someone's gonna ask. And even if nobody did, we'd all hope someone would.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-21-2001, 09:51 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Quote:
Originally posted by rufus
OK.....asking....
Maybe he was trying to mix paint....shake up a martini, practical joke involving someone he hates and a car of pop.....hmm....

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 09-21-2001, 11:35 AM
I look like Gordon

Yeah, I think you are on to something here. Who needs the real answer? Making stuff up will be more fun anyway.

My theory is that there was an impact with a bird or small animal, the remains of which were left just barely clinging to the front of the car, and he was trying to shake it loose.

Or maybe just trying to figure out what the massage seats in the new Lexus LS feel like
Old 09-21-2001, 11:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by rufus
Yeah, I think you are on to something here. Who needs the real answer? Making stuff up will be more fun anyway.

My theory is that there was an impact with a bird or small animal, the remains of which were left just barely clinging to the front of the car, and he was trying to shake it loose.

Or maybe just trying to figure out what the massage seats in the new Lexus LS feel like

Gentlemen, it's important to remember that svx_commuter is an E-N-G-I-N-E-E-R. He would never do such things out of prurient pleasure. It would've had to have been an "experiment" to put together a "cause and effect" analysis
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by Aredubjay; 09-21-2001 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-21-2001, 03:44 PM

Now I am really embarrassed. Oh my I can just here all those engineer jokes. I am sure that this is something nobody else would have even tried unless they too were an E-N-G-I-N-E-E-R. So yes, this was an experiment of sorts and I was looking for an effect other than the strut blowing out. The good news is I got a strut on warantee. Now I have to put it in. Not so good.
Rather than just answer at this time. I would like to pose a question: Would an engineer do something just for fun? I am just testing the water before I venture further.
Old 09-21-2001, 09:51 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Now I am really embarrassed. Oh my I can just here all those engineer jokes. I am sure that this is something nobody else would have even tried unless they too were an E-N-G-I-N-E-E-R. So yes, this was an experiment of sorts and I was looking for an effect other than the strut blowing out. The good news is I got a strut on warantee. Now I have to put it in. Not so good.
Rather than just answer at this time. I would like to pose a question: Would an engineer do something just for fun? I am just testing the water before I venture further.
I thought chemists tested water, not engineers; unless, of course their locomotive leaves the rails & plunges into a river. Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-21-2001, 10:25 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Darn! I even spelled it out so you wouldn't know what I was talking about. But, after meeting you at Reading, I know you're not one of those "stodgy" engineers that can't have any fun . . . y'know, like Larry III (wheah's da bah?!). We wait in breathless anticipation for your explanation.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-22-2001, 06:50 PM

I hope I never have to clean POP off of the SVX dash! With all that suede, it would be an awful experieince. I have to say this is fun. I really do enjoy the pun's. Reading through the snow shoe meet posting is hysterical. I wanted to go but "man" it is far. Like LarryIII said 9 hours is an all day trip. It is very tempting since there is to be no Vermont meet!

Well anyway, back to the car. My transmission is not working. More to the point the rears wheels do not work. Shifting is fine between gears and there hasn't been any slipping. (Yeah, Yeah, I know you guys have all heard this before.)

I had the pressure checked and there is no pressure in the rear. This means the passages are clogged or the transfer valve doesn't work. ( And Eddycat suggest I rip the rear apart and see what is up.)

So I put in this switch to turn off the transfer valve solenoid. This demands full pressure to the rear wheels and will continually feed pressure to the rear clucthes. It should help clean-out the transfer valve and it did help some because the torque steer has gone down dramatically on the car. But alas.... no rear wheel drive from a standing start on gravel. (And I was advised by a personal message not to do this.)

This then means that the transfer valve is sticking as it works a little sometimes and then does not work. Also the flow to the valve was helping. Also verified by the fact that I had AWD for about 5 minutes one day. Anyway I wanted to pursue the possible sticking of the transfer valve. So I thought I would add a little vibration to the car to see if would lossen it up. Hence the ride on the rumble strips.

Well it did have an effect on the transmission as well as the struts.

But I am not going to say unless someone asks.

What a great learning experience! Stay off the rumble strips.
Old 09-23-2001, 01:25 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I hope I never have to clean POP off of the SVX dash! With all that suede, it would be an awful experieince. I have to say this is fun. I really do enjoy the pun's. Reading through the snow shoe meet posting is hysterical. I wanted to go but "man" it is far. Like LarryIII said 9 hours is an all day trip. It is very tempting since there is to be no Vermont meet!

Well anyway, back to the car. My transmission is not working. More to the point the rears wheels do not work. Shifting is fine between gears and there hasn't been any slipping. (Yeah, Yeah, I know you guys have all heard this before.)

I had the pressure checked and there is no pressure in the rear. This means the passages are clogged or the transfer valve doesn't work. ( And Eddycat suggest I rip the rear apart and see what is up.)

So I put in this switch to turn off the transfer valve solenoid. This demands full pressure to the rear wheels and will continually feed pressure to the rear clucthes. It should help clean-out the transfer valve and it did help some because the torque steer has gone down dramatically on the car. But alas.... no rear wheel drive from a standing start on gravel. (And I was advised by a personal message not to do this.)

This then means that the transfer valve is sticking as it works a little sometimes and then does not work. Also the flow to the valve was helping. Also verified by the fact that I had AWD for about 5 minutes one day. Anyway I wanted to pursue the possible sticking of the transfer valve. So I thought I would add a little vibration to the car to see if would lossen it up. Hence the ride on the rumble strips.

Well it did have an effect on the transmission as well as the struts.

But I am not going to say unless someone asks.

What a great learning experience! Stay off the rumble strips.
Spoken like a true E-N-G . . . oh, never mind.

PS: It's a 9 hour drive for me, and I'm going.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 09-23-2001, 10:13 AM

Ron,
I am an engineer that works on pumps. So sometimes I am all wet even if the train didn't fall off the tracks.

RJ,
I was looking through the personal lockers for the first time yesterday and I saw my car and me at the reading meet.
I also realized how long it took for you to get to Morganville. Thatis a long ride for you. It is insipiring. I think I have to go to Snow Shoe too. I really want too. Hope I can the time to work out.