SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-19-2003, 08:30 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Re: Re: I know what you mean

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

You're forgetting that it's a variable torque distribution (VTD) system. Yeah, it'll be 90/10 on the freeway, cruising at a constant speed. But it'll split it up to 50/50 in many situations. That's pretty different compared to one-wheel-drive, in my book.

Why does everyone continue to believe that the torque split is 90f/10r??? The Road and Track SVX manual says plain as day that the Torque Split is 60f/40r and it can vary as much as 90% to the rear or front.... It is 60/40 because that is about what the weight distrabution on an LSi model is... Please everyone just look at the Road and Track SVX book and you will see plain as day what it is...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 12-19-2003, 09:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Re: Fwd AWD ?

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
One of the differences that i think would show up between the two, is when the AWD looks like spinning the front wheels it engages the rear wheels to prevent it. Power is then applied to all wheels.

In the FWD if the front wheels look like spinning, the torque control turns the engine power down to prevent it from happining.

Harvey.
Ahhhh, no. The FWD's dont have traction control. When they start spinning, they keep spinning. Until the driver lets off, the car starts finally moving, or something breaks.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Jerkstor

Top Speed?
Old 12-19-2003, 02:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: I know what you mean

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

Why does everyone continue to believe that the torque split is 90f/10r??? The Road and Track SVX manual says plain as day that the Torque Split is 60f/40r and it can vary as much as 90% to the rear or front.... It is 60/40 because that is about what the weight distrabution on an LSi model is... Please everyone just look at the Road and Track SVX book and you will see plain as day what it is...
I wouldn't exactly call it a 'manual.'

But if you could tell me which pages to look at, I'd be happy to read where it says that. Still, I wouldn't take everything that book says as gospel without corroborating evidence. I've owned my SVX for long enough that I don't actually remember where I first read that torque split was typically 90/10 and up to 50/50. But I'm pretty sure that the most it'll transfer to the rear is 50% - not the 90% you claim.

Edit: I just looked and the R&T Guide does claim that, under normal driving conditions, the torque split is 60/40. But in the same sidebar they claim that the car uses the ABS sensors to detect wheelspin and this isn't the case. The car uses speed sensors 1 and 2 in the transmission to detect wheelspin.

That same sidebar claims that the car can shift enough torque to make it rear-wheel biased. But no numbers are given and at this point I consider their information suspect. Again, I'm almost 100% positive that the US SVX is only capable of putting 50% of its power to the rear. Subaru tends to tune its US-bound cars towards the understeer side of things.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-19-2003 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:12 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerkstor
Top Speed?
Top speed is debatable, and actually when you ask whether FWD or AWD SVXs are faster, something else comes into play.

When the 1992 SVX was introduced, it was advertised with an estimated top speed of 143mph. Some people claim to have gone faster than that. I took my '93 to a little over 130 (GPS verified). That was plenty fast enough, and the car was still accellerating.

But, starting with the 1994 MY SVXs, Subaru electronically limited the cars to the estimated 143mph top speed.

I would venture a guess that, without the extra weight of the back half of the drivetrain, FWD SVXs might have a slightly higher top speed. Unfortunately, we can't test this because all FWD SVXs were built after Subaru introduced the electronic speed limiter.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-19-2003, 05:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I know what you mean

Quote:

But if you could tell me which pages to look at, I'd be happy to read where it says that. Still, I wouldn't take everything that book says as gospel without corroborating evidence. I've owned my SVX for long enough that I don't actually remember where I first read that torque split was typically 90/10 and up to 50/50. But I'm pretty sure that the most it'll transfer to the rear is 50% - not the 90% you claim.

Edit: I just looked and the R&T Guide does claim that, under normal driving conditions, the torque split is 60/40. But in the same sidebar they claim that the car uses the ABS sensors to detect wheelspin and this isn't the case. The car uses speed sensors 1 and 2 in the transmission to detect wheelspin.

That same sidebar claims that the car can shift enough torque to make it rear-wheel biased. But no numbers are given and at this point I consider their information suspect. Again, I'm almost 100% positive that the US SVX is only capable of putting 50% of its power to the rear. Subaru tends to tune its US-bound cars towards the understeer side of things.
I didn't mean to refer to it as a manual.. I'm not very good with words so ya have to kinda bear with me... The only reason why I stand behind the 60/40 split is because I asked myself this question... What would be the point of making a car with a torque split of 90/10??? What good would that do?? I just don't see what subaru would have to been thinking if they made an AWD system like that... That would mean that our AWD cars behave like a FWD car when we are just crusing on the Hi-way right?? AAHhhhhhHere I go... The only reason I really don't want to believe it (Not that it applies to me anymore anyway 5MT) Is because all I have owned were FWD cars and I hated the way that they drove... I guess I could just be in denial about the whole thing... Who knows... I am interested in it though but now I just don't know what to believe... I wish we had a book that could be referenced to to find all our questions like this... That way there would be no doubt at all... anyway

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 12-19-2003, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Top speed is debatable, and actually when you ask whether FWD or AWD SVXs are faster, something else comes into play.

When the 1992 SVX was introduced, it was advertised with an estimated top speed of 143mph. Some people claim to have gone faster than that. I took my '93 to a little over 130 (GPS verified). That was plenty fast enough, and the car was still accellerating.

But, starting with the 1994 MY SVXs, Subaru electronically limited the cars to the estimated 143mph top speed.

I would venture a guess that, without the extra weight of the back half of the drivetrain, FWD SVXs might have a slightly higher top speed. Unfortunately, we can't test this because all FWD SVXs were built after Subaru introduced the electronic speed limiter.
See here's another thing that I would like to know for sure... Mine is a 1995 and I've never had mine against the claimed 143 top speed, however Porter's SVX is a 94 and still an auto... His has been well past it... He said that the previous owner (IcedoutSVX) Had a picture of the speedo pinned beyond the 160 mark!!! And let me just give Porters SVX props for a sec... That thing pulls something viscous!!!! It is really fast for an auto!!! I actually think it is faster than my 5mt!!! (Not prooven yet)... .... But it could be partly that suspension that he has... Who knows... I'd just like for someone who has the balls and an Auto tranny to take thier car out on the really straight stretch of road and find out forsure if there really is a limit on them... That's all I want, proof...

Old 12-19-2003, 10:59 PM
Jerkstor

I never knew the top speed was est. at 143 mph. I have had my 92 up to 135 without much effort, now I have a number to shoot for. Hopefuly the local police will understand.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Fwd AWD ?

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg

Ahhhh, no. The FWD's dont have traction control. When they start spinning, they keep spinning. Until the driver lets off, the car starts finally moving, or something breaks.
Do they break the front diff like the AWD does. Like when the C solenoid stops driving the rear wheels?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:25 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
i know that when driving mine in slippery (read snow and rain) with the crappy tires that i have on it, the car is very much so neutral. Although there are some rare instances (probably me making a mistake) where it really just plows forward, with and without the ABS going. its really easy to also get it to oversteer especially around tighter turns. I wish i had more experience with other cars, but i know that the one time i had the FWD fuse in, it felt a fair amount faster from 40-80 in second gear, but off the line you spin the tires through half of first gear.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: I know what you mean

Quote:

I think that when Road & Track were researching this article they got confused between the two different transmissions. The US version that they driving and the Euro version that FHI were talking about.

They took a bit of this one and a bit of that one and came up with the end result, that wasn't either. They weren't up to the job in a technical sense.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:40 PM

I have a 1994 FWD and reached 145mph at two diffrent times with the auto transmission. To my surprise I was actually able to push 140mph with the 5sp manual last month considering the low gearing I now have. I've never driven an AWD SVX but as for my FWD, once I get full traction the acceleration is incredible

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------
Old 12-21-2003, 10:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

92LS-L : Quickest of the lot. When you step on her, she moves like a bat out of hell. Coins fall out of the holder.

94LSi : A typical 4WD car. Acts like one, feels like one. Handles like on. Fun to drive around 60-80mph. Not the quickest or the fastest.
Wait. How is the 1992 LS-L faster than the 1994 LSi. Are they not the same car? What changes prompted this.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:23 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I know what you mean

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
The only reason why I stand behind the 60/40 split is because I asked myself this question... What would be the point of making a car with a torque split of 90/10??? What good would that do?? I just don't see what subaru would have to been thinking if they made an AWD system like that... That would mean that our AWD cars behave like a FWD car when we are just crusing on the Hi-way right??
Well, when you're cruising at a constant speed on the freeway, or sitting at a light, you don't exactly need the help from the rear wheels, do you? The car can save itself some gas, as well as wear on the transfer clutch, by sending most of the power to the front.

It's really no big deal, man, and it doesn't make an SVX any less cool. It's actually really cool, because it's so adaptable so quickly. Yes, it's 90/10 in some situations, like cruising at a constant speed in good traction conditions. But it's not difficult to make it shift torque to the rear, and it does it very quickly. I've driven plenty of cars that don't do it very quickly. The SVX's VTD setup is very quick to react - far faster, in fact, than the viscous setup in the 5MT.

Look, whether or not you want to believe something isn't the issue. I'll have to find some definitive info on the setup in the SVX...it might be in the FAQ, I'm not sure.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-22-2003, 12:47 PM

That's cool... Yea I have noticed a little pause between the transfer of power fully to the rear in the Manual... Wouldn't mind having the STi's Mechanical front and rear Diff's... That would be awesome...