How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-20-2003, 12:13 PM
ALCYTWO

No engine braking in 2nd unless accel "tapped"

I've been reading all of the threads on the transmission issues (both before and after buying my 92 SVX w 98,000mi) and of course I'm always looking and listening for trouble in the few days that I've had the car. I'm going to do the crush mod this weekend as it seems I've got the hesitation that's talked about, but the only other issue is one that I've not read about in the threads, so here goes.

I have a BIG, LONG downhill on the way home in a residential area, where the speed limit is 30MPH and where the gendarmes like to wait at the bottom and hand out tickets. Very important not to speed there. In my other cars I've always shiftd manually to 2nd to get some engine braking so as to not overheat the brakes But, on my SVX I seem to have NO engine braking in 2nd. Tach stays at idle, car doesn't slow. HOWEVER, I found out yesterday that if I just barely and momentarily tap the accelerator a tiny bit, I suddenly get engine braking. Hey, I'm happy doing that for the life of the car, now that I know about it, but is it a "bug" or a "feature"? :-) Might it indicate a problem to come, and if so, is there a recommended course of action to take? Other than this and the slight hesitation taking off I don't seem to have the other typical tranny woes yet.

Thanks!

Craig
Old 11-21-2003, 02:19 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
this happens to me in third gear. i didnt get a real answer from anyone but perhaps you stated your problem more eloquently than i.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:06 PM
gcookaustin

Re: No engine braking in 2nd unless accel "tapped"

Quote:
Originally posted by ALCYTWO

I have a BIG, LONG downhill on the way home in a residential area, where the speed limit is 30MPH and where the gendarmes like to wait at the bottom and hand out tickets. Very important not to speed there. In my other cars I've always shiftd manually to 2nd to get some engine braking so as to not overheat the brakes But, on my SVX I seem to have NO engine braking in 2nd. Tach stays at idle, car doesn't slow. HOWEVER, I found out yesterday that if I just barely and momentarily tap the accelerator a tiny bit, I suddenly get engine braking. Hey, I'm happy doing that for the life of the car, now that I know about it, but is it a "bug" or a "feature"? :-) Might it indicate a problem to come, and if so, is there a recommended course of action to take? Other than this and the slight hesitation taking off I don't seem to have the other typical tranny woes yet.
I hate to break it to you, but I'm afraid that the internals of your transmission may have a broken gasket. I was experiencing the same symptoms as you when it happened to me (I didn't notice it right away). Basically, at lower (<1.5k) RPMs the tranny isn't building up enough pressure to make the clutches do whatever they're supposed to do; that's why when you give it some gas it seems to sort of "catch." My recommendation is to from now on accelerate rather gently while <2k RPMs, and try not to tap the accelerator to get the "engine braking." Depending on how long you've been driving with this, it may be best to rebuild the transmission rather than just get the gasket problem fixed.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
Craig,
I think you mean 3rd gear. This is a common side effect of pulling the dropping resistor by the battery. Do you have a flashing power light on start-up? If so, check by the battery and insure the resistor is plugged in. You may need to replace it. Other symptoms are a harsh 1-2 shift.
Dustin
Old 11-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
the dropping resistor? what is that? ive only had ecu codes once and thats when things were being worked on.
can you get a pic of the location?
hmm. i seem to get a harsh shift in 1st and 2nd on occasion.

Old 11-21-2003, 11:05 PM
ALCYTWO

Hi,

No, it's definitely in second. It may be the same in third, but I haven't tried it. I need *lots* of engine braking going down that hill. :-) When say that I tap the accelerator, I mean that I *barely* tap it, just enough for the tach to barely jump off idle, then the tach and the engine immediately zips up to speed and I have engine braking. I can do it so subtly that my girlriend can't even feel it even though I'm going "See? did you feel it?" (It's the same in bed, but that's for a different Forum.) :-)

No flashing power light on startup, but I haven't checked the resistor. I assume it's plugged in but can't confirm right now. The 1-2 shift seems fine, maybe a bit of flare but not much. Since the car is new to me and I've never driven an SVX before, I'm not sure how it should be. The 1st gear takeoff seems a bit flare-y and "soft", but I'm going easy on the car for the most part so it may be normal for a light-footed takeoff.

Thanks!

Craig

Quote:
Originally posted by IwantaSVX
Craig,
I think you mean 3rd gear. This is a common side effect of pulling the dropping resistor by the battery. Do you have a flashing power light on start-up? If so, check by the battery and insure the resistor is plugged in. You may need to replace it. Other symptoms are a harsh 1-2 shift.
Dustin
Old 11-21-2003, 11:19 PM
ALCYTWO

Re: Re: No engine braking in 2nd unless accel "tapped"

Arrg! I kinda figure that I'll have to get it rebuilt, since it seems that everyone else goes through it too. The rest of the car is so great though I don't really mind spending the money on it. My biggest worry is finding a good shop who know's SVX's and can do it right.

I'm in the San Francisco bay area on the Peninsula - if anyone reading this knows of a trustworthy shop who can overhaul an SVX tranny in the area, let me know. The only one that comes up the forum database that is in the bay area is about 40 miles away- worth the drive if they're good, but it never hurts to ask!

Thanks,

Craig

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin

I hate to break it to you, but I'm afraid that the internals of your transmission may have a broken gasket. I was experiencing the same symptoms as you when it happened to me (I didn't notice it right away). Basically, at lower (<1.5k) RPMs the tranny isn't building up enough pressure to make the clutches do whatever they're supposed to do; that's why when you give it some gas it seems to sort of "catch." My recommendation is to from now on accelerate rather gently while <2k RPMs, and try not to tap the accelerator to get the "engine braking." Depending on how long you've been driving with this, it may be best to rebuild the transmission rather than just get the gasket problem fixed.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Engine braking.

The TCU looks for the closed throttle signal to engage the over run clutch. This signal comes from the throttle position sensor.

It would appear that yours is out of adjustment and not showing 0.5volts with the throttle closed, unless you drop the pedal to make it move that last bit.

It may be just that the throttle is gummed up a bit stopping it from closing fully to give the closed throttle signal. Try cleaning the throttle body first and then check for the 0.5 volts with the throttle closed.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:53 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
it seems this is happening to me in second as well. just happened. i wonder what will happen next.

Old 11-25-2003, 10:52 AM
ALCYTWO

Re: Engine braking.

Thanks a million Harvey, that would be a great thing for it to turn out to be! I've only had the car about a week now, so I've not worked on it before, really. It came with a set of service manuals, but there's no picture in there of the TCU or description of where it is. I've got the document from the How To section, but it doesn't describe where the TCU is either. Can you help?

Thanks!

Craig

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
The TCU looks for the closed throttle signal to engage the over run clutch. This signal comes from the throttle position sensor.

It would appear that yours is out of adjustment and not showing 0.5volts with the throttle closed, unless you drop the pedal to make it move that last bit.

It may be just that the throttle is gummed up a bit stopping it from closing fully to give the closed throttle signal. Try cleaning the throttle body first and then check for the 0.5 volts with the throttle closed.

Harvey.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Engine braking.

Quote:
Originally posted by ALCYTWO
Thanks a million Harvey, that would be a great thing for it to turn out to be! I've only had the car about a week now, so I've not worked on it before, really. It came with a set of service manuals, but there's no picture in there of the TCU or description of where it is. I've got the document from the How To section, but it doesn't describe where the TCU is either. Can you help?

Thanks!

Craig

Hi Craig. The transmission computer is under the dash, drivers side mounted with the Engine computer.

You need to look in book 3, round about page 194/195, (mine is a RHD so the page no may be different)
"Trouble code 31- throttle sensor-" This will show how to test and set the throttle sensor to give the right voltage level for the closed position.

This sensor plays a major part in the operation of the transmission.

It is unlikely that the sensor has moved its position. More likely that the throttle butterfly plates have an amount of gum on them, that is holding them open slightly, to hold the sensor at a higher voltage than the 0.4/0.6volts that signals the closed position. The idle speed won't be higher because of it as the computer will bring the idle speed down with the "Idle control thingo"

Harvey.
Ps gee you have had almost as many bikes as I had.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:16 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
you know what? my airbox is practically lined with dirt.
i remember now this is why i wanted that polished airbox. its worth checking out and possibly cleaning.

Old 11-27-2003, 09:24 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Check the resistance of the dropping resistor behind the battery:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/1149.jpg

Real easy. I could be anywhere from 7 to 15ohms. My new one was 12ohms when I installed it.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:36 PM
ALCYTWO

Re: Re: Re: Engine braking.

Thanks for the help, Harvey. I did as you suggested today, but couldn't take her for a drive to see how it went. Looking forward to the commute tomorrow to test it out!

On the bikes- Let's see 'em - I showed mine!

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

Hi Craig. The transmission computer is under the dash, drivers side mounted with the Engine computer.

[Text removed]

Harvey.
Ps gee you have had almost as many bikes as I had.