How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-09-2003, 05:14 PM
sgabbard

Thumbs up Bad Noise Diognosed

Finally had a chance to research said bad noise. It appears that the mechanic that installed the new tranny (done by PO) failed to use thread lock on the bolts that hold one of the plates to the front of the fly wheel. So, one vibrated loose and had been grinding at the bottom of the bell housing. I was able to fish it out the bottom, where it had lodged. Need to replace all bolts, and can probably do it through the access hole on the top of the bell housing under the intake.

Any better ideas? Where's a good place to buy the bolts?

Mongo very happy it was not a valve.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:14 PM
DWayne2910

Stacey:

Glad you solved noise problem...that must have sounded expensive before you found out what it was.

How long have you had the O=00=O ? I have a '71- great little car. Also have a '92 Pearlie LS-L and a '94 Ducati sscr in the stable.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:49 AM
sgabbard

Jeez, that's a good question. 5 or 6 years maybe. It's the toy...Bilstein HD shocks, H&R springs, dual 40 Weber side drafts, Porsche Recarro seats. I missed the Arkansas gathering on the 1st, which is about the most fun you can have outside of a closed course. It's due for a top end - valve guides are a little loose, which is my next project this winter - as soon as the SVX is road worthy again.

So how do you like your duck? I looked at the ST4's, but was a little apprehensive of the maintenance on those. Sure make a pretty noise though. Only thing I like more than the sound of a Trump triple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf1081.jpg (214.5 KB, 128 views)
Old 11-10-2003, 08:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Bad Noise Diognosed

Quote:
Originally posted by sgabbard
Need to replace all bolts, and can probably do it through the access hole on the top of the bell housing under the intake.
As far as I know, that's the only hole you can do it through. Get a friend (father-in-law, notary public, bathroom attendant, whatever) to turn on the crank pulley while you watch the hole for the bolts.

And, just for future reference, there's only one plate (drive plate or flex plate, depending on who you ask) and it's a torque converter, not a flywheel.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-10-2003, 02:05 PM
DWayne2910

Bims & Bikes

Pretty Bimmer! Sounds like it's got all the right mods, while it looks original...very nice.
My '71 is actually a 1602. Originally a European version with right hand drive, it was converted to LHD and brought over here. It was fitted with a full roof - length fabric sunroof by original owner in England.
When I got it, I added single Weber, tuned exhaust header and ANSA pipes. Despite smaller motor, it has plenty of pep.

The Duck is probably as close to a Ferrari as I'll ever get, but for me, it's just about close enough. As you said, the sound it makes is worth the price of admission...and it handles as good as it sounds.
I bought it used in '96 and have put over 23k on it since then with no probs of any kind. I think Ducks are similar to the SVX when it comes to what you hear about maintenance. Like this site, the Ducati site seems to be full of horror stories about mechanical failures/glitches, but after awhile I came to suspect that many of the problems were the result of hard use/abuse, or lack of proper care.
My experience with both the SVX and Duck has been that with proper care in maintenance and driving/riding, I've had no problems with either beyond the routine. Another key to this is knowing where to get good service and I've been lucky on both here.

My compliments on your choice of bike, too. If I didn't have the Duck, I'd lust for a Daytona.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:02 PM
sgabbard

Thanks for the proper nomenclature...I got the bolts from the dealer today. Had to actually drive over and point them out on the schematic. Had almost as much fun as going to the BMW dealer and ordering parts for the '02. Proper tems help. At least he knew what an SVX was.

Any suggestions on torque specs? Might need specs on the injection intake also, as that will probably need to come off.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:26 PM

flex plate to torque convertor values are 17-20 ft lbs.

as to motorcycle sounds, the less cylinders the better (IMHO). everybody has favorites, but I'm partial to the Norton I've had for quite a few years now.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:18 PM
sgabbard

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
as to motorcycle sounds, the less cylinders the better (IMHO). everybody has favorites, but I'm partial to the Norton I've had for quite a few years now.
Now you're talking!! 750 Cammando is on my list of toys Mom hasn't let Dad buy yet. I used to go watch those at the vintage bike races at Hallet when I lived in Tulsa. When you've been passed by a Norton, you know you've been passed.

Thanks for the spec.