Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-30-2003, 07:32 PM
The Croupier

You can buy my SVX when you pry my cold dead body out of it !!!!
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 10-30-2003, 08:26 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Facts:

Bought the '92 coming up on three years ago in January.

Put 50K on her as of today - it's a daily driver.

Spent money on preventive maintenance at 100K (timing belt, plugs, cam seals, water pump, one wheel bearing) $1,800 at a dealer over a year ago.

And other than normal maintenance & a set of front rotors & pads, that's it.

Of course I drive it like the geezer that I am.
........Except when on the Dragon.

Yee-Haaaa!!!!!!!!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Xmen

In a last ditch effort to salvage my desire, answer me this question.

Can I have a cooler (TransGo kit I think it's called) installed before the tranny goes down? If so, how much am I looking at here?
Old 10-31-2003, 05:40 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Of course you can have a cooler... MANY members here have done just that. Do a forum search on transmission coolers and you'll see what I mean. Hell, it's one thing I'll be doing before too much longer because I want my SVX to last forever

Seriously... the tranny cooler is DEFINITELY a good idea. While it might not save a tranny that's already damaged, it might mitigate damages significantly. It also might take a good transmission and make it last as long as it's supposed to! Halistan (a member here who posts occasionally) has a tranny cooler... and his transmission seems to have been pretty solid for quite some time.

And to add fuel to the burgeoning fire... an SVX is actually a pretty good investment IMHO. If it hadn't been, I wouldn't be on my third (a 96 I have had about a month) as I write!
Old 10-31-2003, 06:10 PM
hotshoe50

Some other thoughts...

I bought my second, and current one on eBay for $1000.

A 92 LSL with 128K miles and a bad transmission

My new trans cost $2000. witha warranty from AAMCO and its been FANTASTIC for the past 9000 miles. Added a cooler and synth trans fluid plus a trick additive and its been flawless.

On the car,, I've put drilled and slotted front rotors on the front and turned the rears and new pads all around and a set of rear wheel bearings and use 5W40 synthetic oil and this is a gorgeous car.

I chose to have my front seats reupholstered (bought two hides on eBay) and they too are fantastic: also replaced the exsaine door bolsters as they were just worn out and dirty.

otherwise, this is a car to love and I would not sell it for twice what I have in it.

If I can help call,

Richard 705 444 6338
Old 10-31-2003, 11:01 PM
Xmen

Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_svx
Of course you can have a cooler... MANY members here have done just that.
Does the tranny need to be opened up for the cooler to be installed?
Old 11-01-2003, 12:13 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Xmen

Does the tranny need to be opened up for the cooler to be installed?
No. A transmission cooler is just likea tiny little radiator looking thing. You run 2 hoses from your transmission to the cooler, and mount the cooler. Then teh fluid goes through the 'cooler' and cools off, returning to the transmission.

- Rob
Old 11-01-2003, 04:32 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

No. A transmission cooler is just likea tiny little radiator looking thing. You run 2 hoses from your transmission to the cooler, and mount the cooler. Then teh fluid goes through the 'cooler' and cools off, returning to the transmission.

- Rob
even this sounds even more complicated that it really is. you do not have to run hoses to your transmission - there is already a small crappy cooler integrated with the factory radiator. remove the hoses from the factory cooler and attach to your new aftermarket cooler. it would be a good idea to spend a little extra money and time at this point to install an external tranny filter and temp gauge, too.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-01-2003, 04:56 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

To Own one is to Love one. I bought mine with 50,000 miles on the ticker. I never regret putting $$ into it.
'03 Forester XS 214,000 miles
'05 Outback 3.0R
Old 11-26-2003, 04:03 PM
Xmen

Hi folks.

I've decided not to get the SVX after all. Well, actually, it was out of my hands as it was sold before I even had a chance to look at it. Anyway, I just got a 300ZX last saturday and am having fun with it.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:55 AM
Palm Springs of Washington
Alcyone Gold Contributor

After reading this thread, I think that we all know why we own svx's. It is different and so are we. I don't like seeing myself coming and going when I'm on the road. The svx is not a car that anyone buys if they actually think about it. You just are moved by the car.
The car is really fairly inexpensive in a lot of ways for a car vehicle that was only brought into the states in small numbers. I could tell horror stories about borderline enthusiast cars (like- did anyone else ever own 3 alfa romeos in a row? Porsche 924 turbos? sterlings? merkurs?) When I look at the cars that I have owned, the svx is really a sensible vehicle!
Anyway, we need to steer the fence walkers away from the svx to keep the price down. When someone sounds like they want transportation, suggest a neon....
Old 11-27-2003, 02:39 AM
joeaux

Bought my red LSi brand new in '96. Got an excellent deal. It was my 4th Subaru car. Still got it (along with my old reliable Loyale wagon). I will never get rid of it. Not until it rusts. It is the most intoxicating feeling to drive an SVX. And the icing on the cake is, I don't see another one when I'm driving around. I get looks and questions all the time. Buy one, don't buy one. Up to you. But they are great cars. Nuff Said.
-joe-

Oh yeah, I ain't had any problems with mine.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

- there is already a small crappy cooler integrated with the factory radiator. remove the hoses from the factory cooler and attach to your new aftermarket cooler. it would be a good idea to spend a little extra money and time at this point to install an external tranny filter and temp gauge, too.

New to Group and to a 92 SVX....slightly damaged in front...bought with idea to salvage the engine for a transplant into a VW Vanagon..... needs new radiator and hood...reportedly tranny OK....would like to drive it some before final decision as to what to do with it

So where and how do you mount the new cooler ....are there some "play-by-play" photos here in this forum somewhere. Same question for filter and tem gauge.

Warren C.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:40 AM

I've owned my SVX for a year now. So far (knock on wood) no major problems. My brother just bought a BMW the same time I did and he said he's gotten more attention driving the SVX. No surprise there. Although a BMW is a BMW, the price to fix it cost twice as much as the SVX. I drove mine from Florida to upstate NY but boy were people staring at the SVX more down in Fla. I never saw one down there and here I've already spotted 4. 3 in upstate NY and 1 in Toronto.

For the price I paid for it, I get as much attention (if not more) than a $30,000 car.

Tranny problems? I've heard more tranny issues with a Dodge Stealth than an SVX.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:06 AM
arondale

of the sports cars I own...both my old, not so nice SVX and my newer SVX get more looks than the audi allroad. the vintage mustang, however, gets the most stares.

the '65 mustang GT coupe gets more looks mainly b/c it is in excellent condition with a 351 windsor w/77K original miles on it (about 6500 on the motor). It is debadged, has a 4K Wimbleton White paint job, and has a '66 grille with a 351 emblem offset to the side. It also gets attention b/c is has the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard on any car. The low rumble of the V8 at both low and high speeds is very harmonic.