Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-17-2003, 08:54 AM
bthomas

brake squeal

hey guys,
Got a question. My brakes make a really loud noise when I roll to a stop slowly its not like a squeal its more like a screach. They were doing it before and i had them, the rotors, resurfaced, before this, the car had just gotten new brakes. They still do it though. The car only seems to do it when the brakes are cold. Is this normal? The brakes are stock. I also do not have ABS.
thanks

Also: Is it normal for the SVX to almost lurch when im holding the gas constant when i first drive it in the morning. It only does it until the Temp gauge warms up. thanks again
-Bryan
Old 10-17-2003, 09:35 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

From what I think, IMHO, you need the OEM shims behind the non-oem pads, properly lubricated with anti-seize. Now tell me you have that and I'll take my foot out of mouth. Then I could tell you it's the loose pins in the calipher holder or really hard pads.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:42 AM
bthomas

there not after market pads though. Everything is stock. Also, let me in on it. what is IMHO?
-bryan
Old 10-17-2003, 09:53 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
in my honest opinion

My pads used to make the same noise you describe. It turns out that one of the brake shims was slightly bent, causing vibrations.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 10-17-2003, 09:54 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by bthomas
there not after market pads though. Everything is stock. Also, let me in on it. what is IMHO?
-bryan
Are the shims there though? There are two shims behind the inner pads and one shim behind the outer pads.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I use it as "humble". Honest will do too. How about PITA?
Old 10-17-2003, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I use it as "humble". Honest will do too. How about PITA?
PITA - I believe that's my nickname at work (at home too, now that I think about it), where did you hear it used?
Old 10-17-2003, 05:08 PM
deadeye95

Many of us have mastered the "Mario Andretti" like braking technique of pressing lightly to slow down and then dramatically increasing pressure at the last to avoid squeals at stop lights....

You are using factory loads for your pads. They are more expensive but consistent. I spent $300 trying to get a set of cheaper pads to quit squealing at the brake shop, and they never did.

Try getting new rotors, it fixed my problem. I got a set on eBay for $40 (Allied Signal not Subaru). My factory rotors were always prone to warping and squealing. The more I turned them the worse they got. You've got to figure if the rotors were underdesigned in the first place, then after shaving metal off they'll be worse than underdesigned.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:32 PM
deadeye95

Sorry, I just read the other part of your question concerning the lurch at start up.

I also have a 94 2WD. I don't know about the rich guys with the 4WD's and leather interior, but I have had that problem. I would describe it as an instantaneous stall then surge (gee, just another term for lurch).

This condition seems to come in the fall as temperatures get colder in the morning - but quits before winter arrives (maybe the computer has to "learn" a new season?). It should correct itself as the car warms up and not happen in the warmer afternoon.

Just about all of my "problems" on this car have fixed themselves. Just keep it pointed in the direction you want to go and press the gas!