Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-08-2003, 10:10 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hey there thunder, make sure the RWD is working as this will wear the fornt diff.

The front dif IS part of the tranny when you go to a Suby dealer.

So sorry about this but how does the AAMCO guy know it's the front dif and not the rebuilt tranny? Did it get checked out on a lift?

Would not the front dif make noise in forward and reverse motion?

If it is your front dif and if you are brave and don't want AWD try removing your front axles and cutting the power to solenoid 'C' to get full time RWD. Then the front dif won't have any power thru it. hahahaha
Old 10-08-2003, 12:28 PM

just think...you have a warr on the tranny...and this is one of few major things that could happen to go wrong...

i sold my svx, and i miss her dearly...i know how much you love your car. i know how much she means to you. if you were to buy another car...think about it...it would be a total POS, unless you want to spend a boat load of money....or got really lucky on a buy

i'd say keep her and have her fixed...that way you know it is done, and that is one less thing to worry about...but then again, who am i to say anything, i gave in and got rid of mine i plan on getting another one eventually...but that will be a few years

good luck and pm me girl, tell me how you been!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
randy, did you ever end up using the diff i gave you?
phil
No, Phil, not yet. Got a call from the tranny shop today. Gonna cost 700.00+ (book rate) to tear her down, seal her up and put her together again. O'course, if they find anything wrong (they're hoping and I'm praying there's nothing wrong with the transfer shaft), it'll cost more.

The funny thing is, if they DO tell me that I'll need a new diff, I'll just say, "use the one in the trunk."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-08-2003, 06:46 PM

Registered SVX
Re: I need some advice......

Quote:
Originally posted by thndrmtn92svx
I'm so frustrated right now I'm thinking seriously about selling Penny.
Just spent nearly $2K fixing things that needed fixing and now I discover more.
Kept hearing an intermittent grinding sort of noise in reverse so I decided it was time to take her in to AAMCO to have the tranny checked out (still under warranty). Well, the tranny itself is fine. But it appears that the front diff is shot. Labor to take it apart, determine the problem, rebuild it, reinstall it: $420.00. Cost of parts: anyone have any idea?
What sucks is that they have to take it apart to determine what needs to be fixed, then the parts have to be ordered. So I'm probably looking at downtime of two weeks or more.
Anybody have any thoughts, suggestions, a good idea to collect the insurance money?

~~Michelle
Dear Michelle,

You have been pleading for advice. You say the tranny is still under warranty.
It would appear that you are relying on they that provided the warranty to diagnose your problem.

An intermittent grinding noise, only in reverse, does not add up to a shot front differential and the fault could very well be in the tranny itself. If they get it back in their shop they can completely deny liability regardless of the cause and they will be very keen to do so.

The advice from someone very old and hopefully having some wisdom. GET A COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT RELIABLE OPINION. If this costs money it will be well spent.

Sincerely. Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 10-08-2003 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:35 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Unhappy

michelle,

sorry to heart about your problems. i guess i've been lucky. since i bought the claret 1.5 years and 28k miles ago, i've replaced a power steering rack and both rear wheel bearings. i thought that was excessive, but now i feel very fortunate. this car runs better than any other svx i've driven expect my '97. actually the '97 has more problems than the '92 right now. i attempt to drive it last weekend to the colorado subaru bbq and it wouldn't start. i think it's trying to tell me something, because it's been sitting in the garage since our mt. evans meet last august. guess i should drive it more, but every additional mile hurts me.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 10-09-2003, 04:39 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: second opinion

i agree with trevor michelle. you really do need a reliable second opinion. i do not know if there is a subaru dealership close to your home where they have some experience with the svx. most subaru dealerships (in georgia) i've been to actually will examine your car for problems for a small inspection fee. dollar amounts range from $45-$75 for a check. after they check it, they will give you the option to repair it there or not. if they tell you it's the tranny, then you know AAMACO screwed up. i've heard bad stories from some people who used AAMACO, but then again i've heard decent stories from others. you never know, you may have got a mechanic that's shoddy.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:41 AM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Ok, so I decided the 2nd opinion route was a very good idea. Took her to the Subaru dealer today. The service manager, Ed, himself told me that he didn't think I had anything to worry about and that AAMCO was giving me a line.
I'm wary about anyone's opinion at this point, but I guess I'll trust him. He told me he was very familiar with SVXes because he used to own one. I'm leery of trusting dealership guys (sorry Mike!) because I think they're always out for money, but Ed came across as fairly honest and knowledgeable.
So, we're not planning any long trips for awhile, I guess I'll just let it ride and call Ed the minute it happens again. Since it's such an intermittent and random thing, it's hard to diagnose anyway.

For any of you reading this in this general vicinity, Ed is promoting Subaru racing, he races a $75K WRX and there's an event here in Grand Junction November 1st & 2nd. He said he'd like to see all sorts of Subaru owner support and/or participation. PM me if you want more info.

Again, thanks guys for all your input and support.
~~Michelle

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 10-12-2003, 02:56 PM

I say leave the diff till it blows out completely. I think, in general, people over-maintain their cars because they're told by profit hungry mechanics that things are wrong. If mechanics had their way with me, I'd be spending $3000 a month on maintenance.

So far, I've been on a fix-as-necessary basis with my car and it's holding up quite well, minus the interior.

That's my thought for the day.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:12 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
i totally agree!!

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 10-13-2003, 10:10 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
I say leave the diff till it blows out completely. I think, in general, people over-maintain their cars because they're told by profit hungry mechanics that things are wrong. If mechanics had their way with me, I'd be spending $3000 a month on maintenance.

So far, I've been on a fix-as-necessary basis with my car and it's holding up quite well, minus the interior.

That's my thought for the day.
Yeah. Dont change the oil 'till your engine starts making noise either. hah.

Mike
Old 10-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Mike
...or the tires. wear them down to nothing, get your money's worth.

i'm at the opposite end of the spectrum - i believe in preventative maintenance. i have 65,000+ miles and i'm going to replace my knock sensors and O2 sensors soon. why? because i want my car to run at peak performance and don't want any surprises down the road.

the SVX is too nice of a car to be cheap with. get a beater Neon is you can't keep up with it.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-13-2003, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Mike
That's not what I meant. I don't believe in running cars into the ground.

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

...or the tires. wear them down to nothing, get your money's worth.

i'm at the opposite end of the spectrum - i believe in preventative maintenance. i have 65,000+ miles and i'm going to replace my knock sensors and O2 sensors soon. why? because i want my car to run at peak performance and don't want any surprises down the road.

the SVX is too nice of a car to be cheap with. get a beater Neon is you can't keep up with it.
I didn't say I was against preventative maintenance. Changing your oil, rotating tires, etc, can be considered necessary and preventative maintenance.

I keep up with all the right stuff to make sure it runs sound, but I'm not going to dump 1000s upon 1000s into a 4000 dollar car, only to find there's still major things wrong with it, just because some jerk mechanic had dollar signs in his eyes instead of the well-being of my car.

It's like I always say, it aint broke till it's broke. If it runs ok, you're keeping up OK, so no need to sell and get a neon.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 10-13-2003 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

I didn't say I was against preventative maintenance. Changing your oil, rotating tires, etc, can be considered necessary and preventative maintenance.

I keep up with all the right stuff to make sure it runs sound, but I'm not going to dump 1000s upon 1000s into a 4000 dollar car, only to find there's still major things wrong with it, just because some jerk mechanic had dollar signs in his eyes instead of the well-being of my car.

It's like I always say, it aint broke till it's broke. If it runs ok, you're keeping up OK, so no need to sell and get a neon.
If you feel that an svx is nothing more than just a "$4000 car" then i'm thinking you might want to get a different vehicle.

Mike
Old 10-13-2003, 03:03 PM

You're missing my point entirely and drawing inaccurate assumptions.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 10-13-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:44 PM

And to think I almost forgot. 

....................---
...................!...!
...................!...!
...................!...!
...................!...!
..............----!...!----
.........----!....!...!....!
.........!....!....!...!....!....---
.........!....!....!...!....!.../...!
..........!..................!../...!
..........!..................!/.../
...........!...................../
...........!..................../
............!................./
.............!.............../

Last edited by DavieGravy; 10-13-2003 at 11:46 PM.