SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2003, 08:47 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Your door dings...

What would you guys say your ratio would be of door dings on the passenger side compared to the drivers side?

I'd say I have about 5 dings on the passenger side for one ding on the drivers side.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 09-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I have like 25 dings on the passenger side to 0 on the drivers side... strange, but true

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 09-08-2003, 09:52 PM
OrthopodSvx

That’s because in a parking lot your passenger side is opposite someone else's driver side door. Usually someone who can't park very well, or requires excessive amounts of body clearance.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by OrthopodSvx
That’s because in a parking lot your passenger side is opposite someone else's driver side door. Usually someone who can't park very well, or requires excessive amounts of body clearance.
I'm with Mike on this one. It only makes sense since there will always be a driver exiting a car but not always a passenger. Therefore your passenger side will acrue more dings just by law of averages. That is unless you back into your spaces like Dayle does. Then you could expect your drivers door to have the most dings.

From what I have seen by observing people in parking lots, most dings are caused by kids exiting the rear doors. I nearly always see kids blasting open the door they sit at when they get out of a car. They push or kick it open with all their might in their impatience to get out or just to make sure they have tons of room when they slide their little bodies out the door. I have trained my son to exit the car carefully and to be mindful of the vehicle parked next to him when entering or exiting the car. I will do the same with my daughter too once she is old enough to begin letting herself out of the car. I truly wish all parents would do the same but these days I suppose it is too much to ask for. They are usualy beyond consideration for others themselves.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:05 AM
bthomas

I had 2 small dings when i purchased the car. Now, as a result of parking in the High School parking lot the last few weeks of my senior year, i have probably close to 30. Very pissed.. To many people have no respect for cool cars. I dont like Mustangs but i still have respect for them and definatly wouldnt mess up someones car. I bought the Ding King for 20 bucks and am thinking about trying it, anybody else no anything about it? I heard it doesnt work so well but as long as it doesnt destroy my paint im willing to try it. I cant stand looking down the side of my car and seeing ripples in it.
-Bryan
Old 09-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Thumbs down

My side to side ratio is about even at 1,000,000:1,000,000
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 09-09-2003, 10:08 AM
JLittell

My passenger door is winning the race too...
Old 09-09-2003, 11:52 AM

This is why I take up two parking spaces and park in BFE.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:57 AM
vikesfandan

I'll vouch for the Ding King. I bought a teal 92' LS-L that spent it's life in Chicago collecting door, fender and rear quarter panel dings, probably 40-50 over the entire car. With the teal color, they really show when the sun is near setting, in bright daylight they didn't show too much. Anyway, after getting quotes in the $1,500-$2,500 for repairing all the dings and repainting, I decided to try the Ding King out. It works well on the larger door dings, great on the two fist-sized dents in the very corner of each rear quarter, they're both barely noticeable at all. The very small dings won't completely come out, but will look much better when you're done. Use both tabs at the same time, working on two dings simultaneously as the tabs must cool for 5 minutes before pulling on them. Anyway, the Ding King did not harm my paint in any way. Here's a few tricks I learned during the nearly 20 hours of ding-kinging my car.

1. Wash the car before doing it.
2. Clean spot with isopropyl alcohol before applying the tab.
3. The cleaner that comes with it isn't very good. Go get some Goo-Gone, it works much better and still doesn't harm the paint.
4. Apply melted adhesive liberally to tabs. Press firmly onto car and hold steady for 5-10 seconds. Let cool for a full 5 minutes.
5. Most dings require 5-6 pulls to get it completely out. Larger ones like my back corners took 20-30. Start at the edges on large dents or dings.
6. After removing adhesive from tab and car with Goo-Gone, wipe both with isopropyl alcohol before using tab again or repeating process on the same ding.
7. Excess residue on car can be removed with isopropyl alcohol and CLEAN rags.

Good luck....with some time and dedication, you'll get those dings out!

Last edited by vikesfandan; 09-09-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Kerven Subaru

I dont have any dings.

Mike
Old 09-09-2003, 11:59 AM
JLittell

Yes the Ding King does make improvements...You can still see where the dents occured.. My SVX is black..so you gonna see more dents than others.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:05 AM
oc3

Anyone try to open the door skin

Anyone try to open up the door skin and try popping the dings out from the inside out. Thats what a pro would do...I might try it this year or next. So far I'm getting 350 for each side to do. Might give it a try...
OC3

1992 SVX
Old 09-21-2003, 10:45 AM
Superbeast

All my dings are in my pass side fender from when I kept the Turbo Legacy parked in the car port next to SVX. No matter how many times I told my wife to watch out for my car when putting the kids in the back seat of hers, she still put about 8 dings in it. Other than that the car only ussually goes to work where I park it in ways that no one else can park next to it, and if I do take it somewhere else I try to keep it as protected as possible, and if I can I park it where I can keep and eye on it the whole time. My wife always scofs at me for it especially if I go out and move it to a spot that opens up after we've already sat down for dinner just so I can see it better but, I know I'm not the only one. Right?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-21-2003, 11:58 AM
alacrity024

i'm kind of surprised that nobody made this observation about the impressive and frightening ratio of passenger-side to driver's-side door dings, although Subafreak touched on it..

the driver of an SVX will be infinitely more careful with his/her door than ANY passenger could ever be. unless of course, that passenger happens to be an svx owner himself.

i remember an ex-girlfriend of mine that put a good sized ding on my door when she opened it into a shopping cart corral in a grocery store parking lot. she claimed she'd fix it.. never did..

-adam
Old 09-21-2003, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
i'm kind of surprised that nobody made this observation about the impressive and frightening ratio of passenger-side to driver's-side door dings, although Subafreak touched on it..

the driver of an SVX will be infinitely more careful with his/her door than ANY passenger could ever be. unless of course, that passenger happens to be an svx owner himself.

i remember an ex-girlfriend of mine that put a good sized ding on my door when she opened it into a shopping cart corral in a grocery store parking lot. she claimed she'd fix it.. never did..

-adam
kinda like my exboyfriend that backed mine into a tree..and he never paid for that either...they should get togther and have "dingy" kids

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.