SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by BLKSVX92
What is wrong with people who are able and willing to make their car stand out amongst the rest in a tasteful manner. As long as they are happy with it, let them be. Not only am i addressing "ricers" mostly hondas and mitsus, but those on this site that try to make their car more unique and post pictures get ripped to shreads about how bad it is, or how could you ever have.... To each their own, its not your car. Everyone has unique flavors and tastes, and if they so choose to make their car stand out as a symbol of who they are..let them be
the key word being TASTEFUL. i WILL laugh at every economy car with non-functional scoops and spoilers that i see. making an econo-box look like a wannabe-racecar is just plain funny. even funnier is doing an engine swap to beef the power up to a tire-shredding 180hp. rice on, brutha!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 04-25-2003 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:21 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

not true

Quote:
DavieGravy...your opinion is your own, but not mine and its sad that you think of many of these "ricers" are cheap....
hes simply saying the cars are "cheap"
and sorta built cheaply too..(compared to many others)
meaning the where intended for just daily drivers
use. Just so happens a new trend has started
and the rest is history.
These owners are far from cheap, Ive seen guys
dump 15K or more in a $5k car......
They keep my doors open
and I have nothing against them at all, I do think
though the parody is just that, a parody of an actual
commercial. Btw, I also enjoy watching SNL and have since
the 70s....dg

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 04-25-2003, 10:14 PM

Quote:
DavieGravy...your opinion is your own, but not mine and its sad that you think of many of these "ricers" are cheap....
Well...Some of them. Let me say this, I like Honda's. The 5th gen Prelude is one of my favorite cars and I personally rank it up with the SVX.
I also had an 86 Accord that I really loved. Reliable and a great highway car.
I just have a thing with "low-end" Civics. Too many kids driving them and trying to make them look fast when they are not. And these Eclipses, far too many on the road and they're ugly in my opinion.
I'm sure your Civic Si is a fairly nice car. I know they give a lot of bang for the buck. I'd still rather have a luxury vehicle though.
Just my opinion and I respect yours.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 04-25-2003 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
rice on, brutha!
Word up, G
Old 04-25-2003, 10:48 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Ah, the ever popular and distasteful game of "insult the Honda owner" is getting played out once again. I would have thought this group was above that level…

Quote:
... made me want to punch a ricer (or Honda exec.) right in the face.
Ah, so lets be violently inclined toward a company because its Executives had the intelligence to green light production of an affordable reliable piece of transportation. GM has never done this, and I ponder whether Subaru has either.

As for anyone’s opinion of a car they do not own or have any “interest” in, it really doesn’t matter. I’ve had more then one person tell me that they think the design of windows on the SVX is “stupid.” I don’t agree. I would however go so far as to say it’s a design gimmick that was meant to draw attention from other cars that were and are better engineered and more reliable.

Quote:
Most of them think of their cars as high performance sports vehicles that they compare to cars like Audis, Mercedes', BMWs, SVXi, etc. Ricers are not. They're cheap and made to be economical.
Ok, on this thought. No, Hondas aren’t designed to the same level as European cars, but this is an old beaten subject. I will however mention that you can buy a 10-year-old Honda without the concern of it breaking down, where as you can buy a nice shiny new 745i and pray it makes it off the lot and survives for a week before there is an electronics problem. I will also mention that the SVX is not designed to the same level as European cars; it was a high priced attempt at a European style car from a low-level low production company (compared to everyone else Japanese at the time.) I cannot and do not rank the SVX in the same group as an A4 Quattro or 328. There’s a line of logic for European car ownership, with the exception of Volvo and maybe Saab, the best time to get rid of a European car is right before it turns five years old because that’s generally when the breakdowns become frequent and very expensive. To continue on this thought, just comparing my Honda ownership experience to my Subaru ownership experience.

I have owned 6 Hondas at this point. All of them have had +100k miles on them and all of them combined have not given me as much trouble as my Impreza and SVX have.

Honda interior build quality is superior to that of Subaru even though it is cheaper; at least compared to the SVX, but then again, who needs sun visors that weigh 4-5 pounds and can’t support their own weight? Or how about the glove box door that weighs about 5 pounds? Doors that are so heavy that they require door hinges that look to be made of cast iron?

Engine wise Honda is superior to Subaru; even though the SVX engine is great, check out some of the other issues that the 2.5l’s have had. The rubber engine components that Honda uses are made of better material then those used on any Subaru.

Transmission wise Honda again wins. How many people have heard of Honda automatic transmissions spontaneously dying at 60-100k with the regularity that Subaru automatic transmissions die?

Performance…have you driven a 2.2l or smaller equipped non-turbo Subaru recently? The hardly have enough strength to get out of there own way. The SVX is great, but it’s so overweight that it falls right out of the high performance category. It’s a great running car that handles decent, but it is an incompetent canyon carver due to its weight. While I’m sure an SVX could hold its own on a road course, it can and would routinely lose to “lesser” 5th and 6th generation Civic Si’s and the older CRX Si’s stock for stock on an autocross course. Once you modify a Civic/CRX so that it actually performs decent, the SVX is done for. We won’t even compare a SVX’s “high performance” to an S2000, though those don’t commonly get grouped in the “ricer” category.

Reliability. Subaru’s are reliable? Sure they are, at least most of the non-SVX ones are. Are they reliable in comparison to a Honda? No, they aren’t. Aside from Seraph’s super high mileage SVX and a couple other miscellaneous high mileage SVXs, you don’t really see that many high mileage SVXs on the road. Legacy’s and Impreza’s you see more of, but they are also more reliable then the SVX. Also note that high mileage SVXs, particularly the early ones, are not running around on their original transmissions either. A little comparison for reliability purposes:

I’ve owned two Subaru’s at this point, and mind you they will likely some of the last I own, but here is what I’ve had to do to them.

95 Impreza, currently has 123800 miles on it. Original transmission died at 121k. Master cylinder died at 122k. ABS pump unit died at 122.5k. Now if I had had to buy these parts new from the dealer, the car would have gone to the junkyard, as the price of the parts would have vastly exceeded the value of the car. Also the air conditioning compressor is dying.

92 SVX, currently with 66300 miles. Replaced just about every rubber gasket in the engine. Replaced the radiator. Replaced the passenger side sun visor. Replaced the EGR control solenoid. Replaced the Security module. Mind you I’ve only had this car for 3000 miles. I don’t trust this car as a daily driver, and for a car that cost over $25k new that’s depressing.

92 Prelude Si automatic. Purchased with 183k on the odometer immediately after it was flooded to the roof in Louisiana during tropical storm Alison. I took the car apart, dried it out and then put it back together and everything worked except the EGR solenoid valve. The car continued to run great on its original engine and transmission until over 190k, the engine spun a bearing, which was a problem that occasionally happened to the H23A1 engine that came in the Si model. Mind that the original sticker on this car was $23k (from the original title for the car at a dealer in Tyler, TX.)

Various CRXs and Civics with ages similar or older then the SVX…all with 114k or more on them including a CRX with 148k and a Civic Si with 147k on them. All of them were more reliable then the Impreza or SVX and none of them ever had to have multiple hundreds of dollars worth of rubber gaskets in the engine replaced.

Quote:
…even funnier is doing an engine swap to beef the power up to a tire-shredding 180hp. rice on, brutha!
So you bought the WRX simply because it has a function hood scoop and didn’t have that wonderful two-tone paint job the 2.5RS has right? The extra power of the turbo engine didn’t have a thing to do with it at all I’m sure. I would venture to say that the power is the main reason you spent the extra money to buy the WRX over the 2.5RS. Now on that thought, you have a car that weighs 2100 pounds (CRX Si in this case) and comes with a 1.6l single overhead cam (SOHC) non-VTEC engine w/ 108hp & ~100ftlb torque. That’s a power to weight ratio of about 19.5lb/1hp (compared to the SVX’s 15.7lb/1hp.) You pull the stock 1.6l SOHC non-VTEC and drop a 1.6l dual overhead cam (DOHC) VTEC out of a Del Sol VTEC, JDM Integra or CRX or a 6th generation Civic Si and that nets you 160hp with ~110ftlb torque. Weight is now about 2185lb and your power to weight ratio is 13.7lb/1hp. Put a 170hp, ~128ftlb torque engine (1.7l or 1.8l DOHC VTEC) out of a Integra GSR in, now its 12.8lb/1hp. A b16b (1.6l DOHC VTEC) engine out of a JDM Civic Type R nets you 185hp w/ ~116ftlb for a power to weight ratio of 11.8lb/1hp. Put a Integra Type R engine (1.8l DOHC VTEC) in, you get 195hp w/ ~130ftlb torque (even more power with a JDM ITR engine) ending with a ratio of 11.2lb/1hp and even lower weight per hp if the engine is tuned for the Japanese domestic market. So yes, tire shredding can easily be done.

Now the idea of putting the engine in may not appeal to you. I’m sure the idea of having a car that has to be run out to 8000+ RPM doesn’t appeal to you. But none of this makes doing an engine swap or other performance modifications to a Honda ricey. I will point out that most of the truly high performance Honda’s that you run into appear very similar to stock. The ones with the big rims and exhausts and stupid looking clear taillight are not the ones that actually perform. I will also point out that many Honda owners find “riced out” civics, etc to be an embarrassment because we automatically get grouped in with them. Speaking of, how about those “riced out” WRXs with the clear tail lights, big wheels and big gaudy appearance parts…fits right in with the Honda’s.

I would speculate that the problem with Honda’s comes from their commonality and low purchase price. Just remember, SVXs sold for a whole lot more then Civics and other Hondas (except some Preludes) at the time they were in production and now cost considerably less to purchase given starting price. The fact that they were more expensive to begin with is hardly a bragging point either unless you bought the car new. Also, the cost of repairs on a SVX rapidly takes it out of the “deal” category unless it’s been completely restored and updated by the previous and now bankrupt former owner.
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 04-25-2003, 10:56 PM

wow

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt_W
Ah, the ever popular and distasteful game of "insult the Honda owner" is getting played out once again. I would have thought this group was above that level…

So you bought the WRX simply because it has a function hood scoop and didn’t have that wonderful two-tone paint job the 2.5RS has right? The extra power of the turbo engine didn’t have a thing to do with it at all I’m sure. I would venture to say that the power is the main reason you spent the extra money to buy the WRX over the 2.5RS. Now on that thought, you have a car that weighs 2100 pounds (CRX Si in this case) and comes with a 1.6l single overhead cam (SOHC) non-VTEC engine w/ 108hp & ~100ftlb torque. That’s a power to weight ratio of about 19.5lb/1hp (compared to the SVX’s 15.7lb/1hp.) You pull the stock 1.6l SOHC non-VTEC and drop a 1.6l dual overhead cam (DOHC) VTEC out of a Del Sol VTEC, JDM Integra or CRX or a 6th generation Civic Si and that nets you 160hp with ~110ftlb torque. Weight is now about 2185lb and your power to weight ratio is 13.7lb/1hp. Put a 170hp, ~128ftlb torque engine (1.7l or 1.8l DOHC VTEC) out of a Integra GSR in, now its 12.8lb/1hp. A b16b (1.6l DOHC VTEC) engine out of a JDM Civic Type R nets you 185hp w/ ~116ftlb for a power to weight ratio of 11.8lb/1hp. Put a Integra Type R engine (1.8l DOHC VTEC) in, you get 195hp w/ ~130ftlb torque (even more power with a JDM ITR engine) ending with a ratio of 11.2lb/1hp and even lower weight per hp if the engine is tuned for the Japanese domestic market. So yes, tire shredding can easily be done.

Now the idea of putting the engine in may not appeal to you. I’m sure the idea of having a car that has to be run out to 8000+ RPM doesn’t appeal to you. But none of this makes doing an engine swap or other performance modifications to a Honda ricey. I will point out that most of the truly high performance Honda’s that you run into appear very similar to stock. The ones with the big rims and exhausts and stupid looking clear taillight are not the ones that actually perform. I will also point out that many Honda owners find “riced out” civics, etc to be an embarrassment because we automatically get grouped in with them. Speaking of, how about those “riced out” WRXs with the clear tail lights, big wheels and big gaudy appearance parts…fits right in with the Honda’s.

I would speculate that the problem with Honda’s comes from their commonality and low purchase price. Just remember, SVXs sold for a whole lot more then Civics and other Hondas (except some Preludes) at the time they were in production and now cost considerably less to purchase given starting price. The fact that they were more expensive to begin with is hardly a bragging point either unless you bought the car new. Also, the cost of repairs on a SVX rapidly takes it out of the “deal” category unless it’s been completely restored and updated by the previous and now bankrupt former owner.
Way too much reading for me, even it was about an Svx I would of skipped it
sorry, Im sure it had some good content....
Hey, my ex g/f whom Im still friends with drives a nice accord,
we give each other crap about our cars, but its all in fun

Cars in the garage:
97 SVX Lsi
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

Old 04-25-2003, 11:20 PM

and now for another view

of Honda......
this I believe to be a European commercial..

go to: http://mail.silvertech.net/~epe/honda.html#hondaad

and then click on jump down to the Honda ad.

its takes a little bit to load and go, so give it a minute
or so even with a fast connection....

pretty damn cool

Cars in the garage:
97 SVX Lsi
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

Old 04-26-2003, 01:50 AM
Casper Killer

Send a message via AIM to BLKSVX92 Send a message via Yahoo to BLKSVX92
Kurt, Id just like to say thank you and very well put

1992 SVX Build 4/91 SOLD TO gsodonis
2002 Civic Si SOLD
2005 Lancer Evolution VIII TRADED
2008 STi
Old 04-26-2003, 04:43 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt_W

i didn't want the WRX - its the wife's car. i wanted a base model Forester.
yes, Honda's are GOOD, reliable cars. actually considered one when the wife was shopping for cars. of course, Honda's will be ripped on. that is something that just happens, like when the sun rises every morning.
if you think joking around is beneath this group, you'll be in for a shock. i Iz a bAd HaTerZ!

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-26-2003, 04:58 AM
alacrity024

Quote:
Ah, so lets be violently inclined toward a company because its Executives had the intelligence to green light production of an affordable reliable piece of transportation. GM has never done this, and I ponder whether Subaru has either.
.....why i oughta

-adam
Old 04-26-2003, 07:13 AM
svxeno

Now I couldn't let this go

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII

Randy,

Does it mean that I'm insane or sane, if I fail the insanity test ?
Larry Ieyei,

I don't think you really need to take the test....do you?

Randy (Already knows the answer to that question) ii
Old 04-26-2003, 07:29 AM
alacrity024

Re: and now for another view

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX
of Honda......
this I believe to be a European commercial..

go to: http://mail.silvertech.net/~epe/honda.html#hondaad

and then click on jump down to the Honda ad.

its takes a little bit to load and go, so give it a minute
or so even with a fast connection....

pretty damn cool
that's a REALLY cool ad... and i absolutely LOVE the new accord wagon..

-adam
Old 04-26-2003, 10:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Dayle, that was a pretty sweet add... quite ingenious if I say so myself. It was clever as well as captivating, and I like that. The other comercial was just a way to prey on the ignorant trend so many people have fallen to... ricyness.

Kurt (Michael, too)... take it easy dude. What I said was in a light-hearted manner... you know, a joke. This thread was started on the basis of making fun of Hondas... if you didn't want to see them get poked fun at, then don't read the thread. I'm not sure why it came to ragging on SVXs and uplifting Hondas... this is a club for SVXs, is it not?

At what point did I make fun of Hondas or their reliability? I made a joke about ricers eliciting a violent response from me... did I say I have, or plan on, actually going to find any Honda owner and crack them across the jaw?

You guys must not know what a ricer is. The Civics in that commercial looked to be rice mobiles. You know, a econo-box with expensive paint, stickers up the wazoo, and non-funtional wings, all that scream, "Look at me! I like to pretend my car is fast, yet I really have no clue about cars (nor real appreciation), and my taste is incredibly gaudy!" The people that have their Civics (or Cavalier, WRX, etc.) dressed up in this manner, that I have ever met, are always complete morons and ignorant sheep who follow even the most asinine trends. I met one last week, spending all his money on ricey accessories and interupting and intruding on an actually stimulating and technical converstion I was having. He was like a lost, mentally feeble, puppy... who also happened to be arrogant and annoyingly distracting.

The guys who have a clue and want a fast car, don't bother with all the stickers and accessories... since they don't help, and they are really nothing more the immature attempts at getting attention. I have seen a Civic that was crazy fast. He actually dusted a supercharged (among other performance upgrades) M3, and it appeared to be quite streetable. No stickers, or wing, or body kit, just some wheels (no big deal)... and I give this type of guy a lot of respect. The "kids" who slap on a bunch of all-show-no-go parts, then rev at me at a light, give me the finger, and actually spit on my car (yes it has happened with NO provocation), really tick me off. They have given a bad impression of dressed up Hondas (or whatever) since they are what I almost always come across, so I'm sorry if I see clear taillights and think, "Great, another ricer." I love to show 'em my tail lights. Tryin' to let 'em know that a fake V-Tech or Type-R sticker and a 100 pound wing is not going to make them fast.

I'm not trying to get into an argument or something here (nor did I think I would spark one in this case)... just explaining my meaning and tellin' ya' where I'm coming from. I just had to re-ass, I mean rebut... I know, I'm a dope.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 04-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
For cryin' out freakin' loud! Let's just take the joke, laugh and drop it.

Good grief! It's a sad, sad day when people have to become offended because somebody posts a silly, modified (forgive me for using the word ) commercial. If you want to get even, go into the Honda forum and post an SVX commercial that's been modified to be funny. Let's not let this grow into a "my car's better than your car" thread. Sheesh! We really ARE better than that. As concession, I'll even let you make fun of my other car: a Dodge Caravan.

Golly! <mumbles to himself and shakes his head as he walks off>
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-26-2003, 02:39 PM

Does anyone have the link to that SVX commercial by the way?
I wanted to see it but it wouldn't play for some reason and I'd like to try it again.