Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-07-2002, 09:35 AM
$13000 and counting...

Send a message via AIM to Crusader Send a message via MSN to Crusader Send a message via Yahoo to Crusader
Hi everyone, I have been stuck offline for a while due to money problems, good news: I have the internet back, bad news: my SVX threw a rod...... so now I'm looking for a used engine for a decent price, if anyone knows where I could find one, I'd be grateful for any help. Right now I'm looking at a short block and gasket set from subaru for just over $2000 and then the work to get the short block put together and into the car.. kinda risky considering the tranny is original with 126k on it. So right now I am very unhappy with a pile of debts and no SVX, some of you out there know how it feels to have an SVX that just sits there and taunts you because you can't drive it. Well anyway I better get going, have some stuff to do.

---MIKE---
Old 08-07-2002, 01:25 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

So you threw a rod? Broke a rod? What does the engine look like?
Old 08-08-2002, 07:26 PM
"high" in Colorado

Thumbs up used engine...

Hi John, read with great interest your documentation on your used engine/ install.
I'm no mechanic, but it appears to me you took your time and covered all bases. Nice job!!

I must have missed a previous thread.....what happened to your car that you had to go through all this?

Glad you got a good one....and at a good price!
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 08-09-2002, 07:08 AM

Well thanks there MtnGuy. the more Iwork on this car the more I think it is easy to work on. I am really amazed when exhaust header nuts come off an engine that is 10 years old.

As far as what happened? I was changing my water pump, oil pump, timing belt and started this back on July 4th. I had to get new timing belt covers as mine were warpped and or broken. The coolant system ended up being drained for about 10 days. That was enough time for the air corrode and open a leak in the head gasket just a little bit more. When I drove it the radiator blew up as I started up a hill.

This is the thread after the new radiator was in.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...8930#post48930

This is pulling out the engine.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=5092

This thread is when the radiator blew up.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=4907

End of the story>>>>> KEEP THE EXHAUST PIPES OFF THE GROUND <<<<<<<<< Duh!

If you want to see when all this started....... search on "Flying the SVX"

Man do I feel stupid or what?

Last edited by svx_commuter; 08-09-2002 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:01 AM
$13000 and counting...

Send a message via AIM to Crusader Send a message via MSN to Crusader Send a message via Yahoo to Crusader
Not sure if the rod is bent or broke or what, or even if it is just a bearing. The engine knocks loudly when it runs, It sounds like a rod. I'm saying that i need a new engine because all of the oil dissappeared within 3 or 4 hours, and I'm not sure where it went, no leaks, no smoke, just poof , gone. So far I'm looking at an engine from near Rochester, MN, and one from upper Mischigan. Not too enthusiastic to jump into the project of tearing the engine out. but I have to do what I have to do.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:42 PM

Does your car still have power?
And did you look in the coolant system for the oil?
How many miles on the engine?
You may try a big piece of cardboard under the car over night and check for leaks?
Old 08-09-2002, 10:18 PM
$13000 and counting...

The car has very little power, I did drive it onto the flatbed though. There are no leaks, it has been parked on a clean concrete slab for the last 3 or 4 days. haven't had the chance to check the cooling system yet, too busy trying to get my backup car running. Engine is original as far as I know and has 128k on it.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:00 PM
Drew Schumann

C&C used engines

Can get you a low mileage imported japanese 3.3 engine for $1395 plus 100 or so in shipping. I got a EA 81 from them two years ago that was immaculate. I'd definitely check them out before getting a short block for $2000+

The cracking and hissing of the case bolts is a very Subaru thing. I think they put in the bolts "hot" and when they cool they create a vacuum. When I broke mine loose, they also smelled like fresh gas. From a 1981 GL!!!!

Drew