Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-14-2002, 08:49 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Factory remote programming problem...

Ok, I'm having issues with programming my new remote. I've read all the useful (and some not) posts in the archives yet I still can't get it to work.

I can't get the car to go into program mode. Is there any special way to do this? Are there any buttons (like parking lights) that shouldn't be on in order to get it into program mode?

Also, do I turn the key all the way to off as though I were going to remove the key before pressing the button?

I don't think its that I'm not pushing the button fast enough but I'm not sure...

TIA
Old 12-15-2002, 01:08 AM
I_Alcyone_I

Have you ever had a working remote? If not i looked in your profile and noticed you had a 92. 92's had a problem with the connectors on the security box oxidizing and thus ceasing to work properly. If you had soeone close to you that had a working security box, and a free day you could try swapping out the boxes. Despite the other posts, i found removing the box wasn't so hard to do. I am also only about 5'7 so my height, or lack thereof makes it easier for me to twist around limited spaces.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:59 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Oh sorry, forgot to state the year. Its a 92 Ls-L made in 6/91.

Twisting around in limited space shouldn't be a problem...I've been working on the interior of CRX's and Preludes for years.

I never had a working remote...didn't come with one when I bought it so I ordered a new one. The security box is located behind the glove compartment right? Would I be correct in assuming that its the typical silver metal box kind of elec. box?

Sadly, I know of no one local that I could borrow a sec. box from. Theres a 94 that I've been meaning to find the owner of but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Would the sec. box be the same between a 92 and a 94?
Old 12-15-2002, 02:09 PM

this might be a dumb question, but is the security light blinking when you turn it on (not when trying to program, just normal mode)?
Old 12-15-2002, 08:48 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Lee,

The light will come on constant if the switch is pushed when the car is off. Its either on or off, there is no blinking...
Old 12-15-2002, 09:12 PM
DWayne2910

Check fuse #23 in the fuse box in the engine compartment
next to the battery. If the fuse looks ok, check the contacts.
Also check battery in the remote for voltage output. (I've had
batteries I've bought "fresh" that turned out to be nearly dead).
Be sure dash switch is in the "active" (button out) position.

If all above checks ok, try following steps:

1. Point the remote (The end opposite the key) at your car and
press the button twice, pausing briefly in between.

2. Observe the parking lights each time you press the button. If the transmitter's coded signal is properly reaching the control unit,
these lights should stay on as long as the button is pressed.

3. Repeat step 1.

4. Press the button once more (this should be the 5th signal sent to the control unit). Confirm that the parking lights come on.

5. Confirm that parking lights have stopped flashing. If so, you
have successfully completed the procedure.

(Above procedure is from the Dealer Vehicle Prep Manual.)
Good luck.
Dan
Old 12-16-2002, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt_W
Lee,

The light will come on constant if the switch is pushed when the car is off. Its either on or off, there is no blinking...
My impression is that the security module is bad if the light will a) not come on at all, or b) not blink, both cases regardless of remote programming. Mine does the same as yours, solid light...have never been able to program...thought it was the module itself, maybe somebody else can instruct.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:28 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt_W
Lee,

On my '92, the security button blinks when the car is off, and stays off when the car is on. My remote works fine.

Sounds as if the steady illumination may indicate a problem.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 12-16-2002, 03:31 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lee

My impression is that the security module is bad if the light will a) not come on at all, or b) not blink, both cases regardless of remote programming. Mine does the same as yours, solid light...have never been able to program...thought it was the module itself, maybe somebody else can instruct.
This is a problem that has plagued us SVXers from the start. Mine did this (constant light) shortly after I got it. Up until that time, the system had been working fine. I replaced the module and all has been well since then. However, if this module goes wonky on me, I'm going to see if the other module will work, once again. I theorize that "something" causes the module to "seize." Dunno what, but, I'm thinking that if you pulled the fuse from the module, or, unplugged the module for a time, that it might "re-set" itself. This is only a theory, mind you, but, some have had their module "mysteriously" begin to work again, after a period of having the dreaded "constant light" syndrome. The difficulty in testing this theory is in having someone who is willing to go to the trouble (a real PITA) of removing their glove-box, unplugging or defusing the unit and leaving it undone for the period of time it would take (I'd guestimate a couple or three days) for all the capacitors to drain and the memory to be emptied. So, if anyone wants to try this -- please, have at it.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-16-2002, 03:37 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
The difficulty in testing this theory is in having someone who is willing to go to the trouble (a real PITA) of removing their glove-box, unplugging or defusing the unit and leaving it undone for the period of time it would take (I'd guestimate a couple or three days) for all the capacitors to drain and the memory to be emptied. So, if anyone wants to try this -- please, have at it.
Aredub, your generosity in offering opportunities such as this to other SVX owners is, as always, unparalleled.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 12-16-2002, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young

Aredub, your generosity in offering opportunities such as this to other SVX owners is, as always, unparalleled.
Since I will have the two weeks at Xmas/New Years off as vacation, I'm willing to give our illustrious President's suggestion a try and will report back in the new year. I can already say that simply taking the fuse out for a few minutes doesn't work.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:47 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Well, I'm inclined to say that leaving the security box unpowered for a long time will have no effect on the the unit. My car sat for close to 3 months without a battery in it, so unless removing the unit from the car altogether will have an effect, lack of power will not.

I however have nothing else to do, and a couple spare cars to drive so I'll try to remove my security box as well to see if anything will happen.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:51 PM

anybody ever opened up one of these boxes?

i may have a go at it, what could happen, void my warranty? actually start working again? maybe it's just a fried resistor or?
Old 12-16-2002, 09:06 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Ok, next question...will the car run without the security box attached?