Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-26-2015, 07:32 PM

SVX Proper Maintenance and Care

Hello everyone, I'm new to this so please bear with me. I'm 19 and I just purchased a 1992 SVX LS L at 76k miles. Good low miles find for sure. But it has some issues. It's tranny was rebuilt around 20k ago and it needs new mounts. (Ordered legacy mounts). Now I'm a mechanical novice. Don't know much at all, just how to change oil. I'm wondering if I should get under it and start tinkering with it with my dad and see if we can mount it ourselves or have it done at a shop. Not sure. Also the car needs new inner tie rods, swaybar links, and bushings replaced, and a front end alignment. Alsowasherbottle and left nozzle. That's definitely being taken to a shop for. It also is blowing hot air out of the AC. To me, this is a secondary issue but it is summertime and I'm in Jersey so that should be fun with a black leather interior. The owner also said he heard a pop and then smoke came out of the center console for a couple minutes. Had a mechanic look at it and they found nothing, Other than the problems I just mentioned. There are electronic issues with the car and if it sits long enough the battery dies. So currently there's an on_off switch for it. Is that bad for the car to do? Idk. I've read about these cars extensively and I absolutely fell in love with it when I found out it existed. The one I've found has these issues and some body damage but it was going for a good price and didn't smoke or overheat or knock when we left it running with the AC on so I went for it. The rest of my budget is going into the "tune up" that I will do with my dad and into adressing the problems I mentioned above. (Exept the AC because I can't afford it all right now) I have read that this car can be on the expensive side to keep in good shape. Obviously, right now with a part time job and plans to go to votech for mechancics it's going to be difficult. I'm willing to put work into this car. I love it and I've only driven it around a block or two. I've read that with the proper maintenance and care that it can be a reliable car and that's what I'm aiming for here. Any advice or list of things I should do on a monthly, daily, weekly, and/or yearly basis? I want to do the best I can to make this an awesome car to keep for many years. I just need some help and advice from people who have experience. Because clearly, I do not. Thank you so much if you even made it this far into my post and thanks in advance for any advice or help. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: SVX Proper Maintenance and Care

Welcome to the forum.

You will find that parts are beginning to be hard to find for the SVX. Subaru is running out. For your bushings I'd go with the Polish "kit" . Many bushings are not available from Subaru unless you order them with the part they are attached to. Use the search button in the forum and you should find the source pretty quickly. Tie rods and sway bar links are no different than other Subarus, so if your dad has some experience it shouldn't be a problem. I'm pretty sure the same goes for the tranny.

I'm not a mechanic and only do the minor stuff but the other guys on the forum should be of great help.

Check out the "How-To Documents" link top right of this page.

I've found the SVX, which I've had since '92, to be a very reliable car. Other than regular fluids, (brake, coolant, oil), pads and rotors, wipers I would take care to protect the rubber door seals hood seals etc. with rejuvenater/protector. They are getting scarce. Give yourself lead time if you are planning a repair eg. shocks as you will have to wait for the parts.

Regarding A/C if by "Blowing Hot" you mean hotter than ambient air then the system may be over charged. (Related, but not to your problem, the compressor is not available as an after market item and needs to be rebuilt.)
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 07-27-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Should have mentioned to have a good look at all steering, brake and fuel lines. They will probably be somewhat crispy due to age and your winters.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:36 PM

Thank you so much for helping me out. I will put that on my "to do" list for my tune up for the SVX. Just got the car titled, registered, and insured today! Tomorrow morning it is being put on a flatbed and being taken to a performance shop for them to put on the new tranny mount from a legacy, and a cooler I got from summit racing to bestow some refreshing coolness that the transmission needs to operate without burning itself out. Gonna start saving for a 4.44 swap soon hopefully.