Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-14-2012, 06:04 PM

Re: Best Filter and Oil?

Well old thread and probably older question. I guess when I got the SVX I noticed MB1 would get real black very quick. more or less at 3k miles it was time. The old method of just changing a filter does and topping off the quart also does work but I think it depends on what kind of oil you use. Amsoil is a really great product. Especially their high Zinc oils which are bullet proof Boxer 6 likes. since most of us are seeing 150k plus miles it also comes as a high mileage oil. I was sold when I switched over, at 3k miles, it looked like the day I put it in.
At 6k it was starting to look like honey amber. by 8k it was time. as for the math you save a good bit with this because you only have to change it say once or maybe twice a year ( depending on mileage) Vs 3 to 4 times a year. I gave the Guys in charlotte a call and everyplace said that Mobile 1 wear data was Exactly the same as regular Castrol. Just paying for a name. Castrol syntec is more of a blend. and not a good product. Castrol got in a wee bit of trouble with the Gov about that. Given Amsoil track record, as far as GOOD synthetics go. You've got Amsoil, Motool, Redline, and I always forget the 4th. Because of tighter emissions restrictions many regular oils are changing formulations. Various additives are being reduced to minute levels, additives our car needs since it's older. newer cars could care less.
something to think about.

Many diesels are starting to Feel this pinch as well because of the changes in oil formulation and emission, a few devices are now very common and are causing some problems. When in doubt have the oil analyzed. It does tell an interesting story about what's wearing and how things are. best advice whatever you use and are happy with . Just keep it changed Very regularly if you don't wanna bother with say a better product. Look up some of the newer changes, you may be a bit surprised.

~SVX1999
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

This year I bought a MB Sprinter and their maintenance schedule is Mobile 1 oil and filter change every 10K. What a coincidence! I've been doing this with all my other cars over the past 18 years. Never had a problem.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 AM

Registered SVX

I use Amsoil signature 10w-30 with Mahle extended filter.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.