How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
installing new A/C compressor tomorrow, some clarifications needed

I got a brand new subaru a/c compressor that I'd like to install in my '92. The compressor is from a '95 so it's ready for R134a. The entire system has been converted over to R134a with new condenser, orifice/expansion valve, condenser, evaporator and a new drier.

My FSM only talks about R12 so I just wanted to make sure of some info here.

- What is the amount of R134a capacity in your shop manual? In my case, the amount of R-12 is 1.2 - 1.5 lb, shown on page 55 on 4-7.

- what is the high pressure reading (using a manifold gauge system) in the R134a system with the A/C system running? In my case, the high side pressure needs 185-213 psi, low pressure side 28 psi. This is with the Windows, open, engine at 1500-1700 rpm, blower speed on Hi, temp set at 65* F. Page 104, 4-7.

I hope my new compressor comes with oil already, but if not I need to have 2.4 fl oz of oil. Can someone confirm if this is the correct amount of oil for R134a also? This info is on page 56, 4-7.

Thanks for your help.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 04-02-2011, 10:07 PM

Re: installing new A/C compressor tomorrow, some clarifications needed

no sooner after i started this thread, I found good info in this site:

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs...nt/acretro.pdf

Last page deals with converting a '92 svx to R134a.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Registered SVX

How happy are folks with their converted 134a systems? I'm looking at paying for R12 or converting soon, and have heard the 134a has much less cooling capacity...
Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

If you're getting a new compressor, why not just get one from a later year that's already r134a? Or did you?

There doesn't seem to be anything really different about the A/C systems between the r12 and r134a SVXes and the A/C worked well in all of them, so I would guess that it would do fine. My '92 was converted to r134a and worked very, very well.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlutz View Post
How happy are folks with their converted 134a systems? I'm looking at paying for R12 or converting soon, and have heard the 134a has much less cooling capacity...
I have no complaints. However, do keep in mind that in order to do it "right", you should replace just about all of the components. Our cars are quite old by now and the new R134a molecules will escape easier than R12, due to their smaller size. Still, you should be able to have it done professionally w/o changing everything over and hopefully it won't leak out too quickly.

if your system is in good shape, fix the leak and have new R12 put in, that'd be the best way to go. Sure it costs more but the BTU is higher and your system is made for it. I'm assuming you can acquire R12 in your area and it'll be mucho $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
If you're getting a new compressor, why not just get one from a later year that's already r134a? Or did you?
Correct, mine came from a '96. It says R134a right on it.

I just returned from the A/C shop, the evac/recharge was $134 (with tax). It's 50deg outside so not really a true test of the A/C but will see after work if it can cool the inside down quickly. Vent temp was 40deg as I drove it to work from the shop earlier.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 AM

Registered SVX

Has anybody done a simple 134a retrofit by just replacing o-rings and fluid? I looked up the subaru retrofit kit ($350 at 1st Subaruparts.com, P/N G3110PS000). It looks like it contains a couple of hoses, o-rings, and a new drier. Are these strictly speaking all necessary?

Last edited by rlutz; 04-22-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Registered SVX

it depends what you are expecting from the system. you can buy a retrofit kit without the drier but it's recommended to replace the drier every time the system is opened, like when replacing the service ports and o-rings because it soaks up a lot of moisture from ambient air. i have had success just doing the screw on valve adapters, not opening the system, evacuating and recharging with r134a but the results are not as good as when the whole system is serviced.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Both of mine have been running R134 for years. Plenty cold (and it gets pretty warm down here). Can't speak to the procedure or precisely which O-rings were replaced; I just took a compressor and receiver/dryer to my guy and let him have at it.

dcb
Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlutz View Post
Has anybody done a simple 134a retrofit by just replacing o-rings and fluid? I looked up the subaru retrofit kit ($350 at 1st Subaruparts.com, P/N G3110PS000). It looks like it contains a couple of hoses, o-rings, and a new drier. Are these strictly speaking all necessary?
I'm curious as to why Subaru recommends replacing out the two hoses? I'm sure there's a real good reason but I don't understand it!

Anyway, my retrofit consists of replacing every single component EXCEPT the two hoses I had leaks and corrosion so I replaced the entire system piece by piece.

I'm happy to report that the vent temps are nice and cold, usually around 40 deg F after the R134a recharge couple of weeks ago.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 04-26-2011, 01:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176 View Post
I'm curious as to why Subaru recommends replacing out the two hoses? I'm sure there's a real good reason but I don't understand it!

Anyway, my retrofit consists of replacing every single component EXCEPT the two hoses I had leaks and corrosion so I replaced the entire system piece by piece.

I'm happy to report that the vent temps are nice and cold, usually around 40 deg F after the R134a recharge couple of weeks ago.
Turns out the conversion kit is not available from Subaru anymore. Also, those hoses are pricey, $190 for the suction hose, and the exhaust hose isn't even available (but 1stsubaruparts lists the price at $164). Are these some ultimate teflon & gold plated hoses?