How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-21-2002, 07:57 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

O/T- RallyX questions

I'm thinking about taking my new justy to the DC Rally X this Sunday. I've never been to one and have a few questions. Does anyone know how stringent the safety test is. I'm leaking about a quart of oil every 1000 miles and my tires although no wear bars are showing wouldn't pass PA inspection. Its a 3 hour drive and I wouldn't want to go if I couldn't drive. Also do you need to be an SCCA memeber to race at these things?
Old 10-21-2002, 08:10 AM

I ran my CRX in a rally X this spring (I did a single lap in the SVX just for fun, but didn't push it too hard), and the safety inspection wasn't too bad. It sounds like your Justy should pass just fine. My biggest problem was a slightly loose battery tie-down.

Even though your wheels should pass inspection, I'd recommend getting some new ones, at least if you want to be competitive. If you're just going for fun, this could be a good way to say good-bye to those old tires.

You don't have to be a SCCA member, but non-members pay $5 more to drive in the event.

92 SVX - Sold
98 BMW M3 Sedan
89 Honda CRX Si w/B16 swap
91 Honda CRX Si
Old 10-21-2002, 08:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: O/T- RallyX questions

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
I'm thinking about taking my new justy to the DC Rally X this Sunday. I've never been to one and have a few questions. Does anyone know how stringent the safety test is. I'm leaking about a quart of oil every 1000 miles and my tires although no wear bars are showing wouldn't pass PA inspection. Its a 3 hour drive and I wouldn't want to go if I couldn't drive. Also do you need to be an SCCA memeber to race at these things?
Did you fnid the event on the SCCA site?

As for the tires, here's what I recommend. Go to Sears and get a set of their $25 tires. They have very deep treads and handle gravel and snow very, very well. $100 for four tires, plus mounting is a good freaking deal.

Go soon, in case they have to order them.

And let us know how it turns out! I want pictures, mister!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-21-2002, 08:39 AM

O/T Rally X

Sounds very promising. I really don't have the $$$ for tires at the moment. We're settling on our new house on the 31st and have a good $10k in work just bring it to move standards. Then the appliances. Sears doesn't list the tires anymore but I did find tires at NTB (which is owned by Sears) 145/80r12s are get this a wopping $12.50 a piece. I'm sure it would still be $120 installed though since you have to get it done there. The tires even say they're Guardsman's.

Now if I can only figure out this strange tap that I have in the pass side rear wheel region. It stops when you push the brake in so I'm guessing its got something to do with the brake right? It stops straight.

Oh, so I waxed the Justy this weekend. Probably the 1st time ever. The paint came out with a better shine than my brilliant red SVX paint which has been babied all its life. Granted the one side has some cracking issues but I'm sure that side sat in the sun more. Pretty funny for a $6k car to have a better or as good as paint job as a $30k car.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:55 AM

Registered SVX
I still wanna know where you found out about the event you're attending.

Reading SCCA's RallyCross rules, it seems that a helmet is required. That's not surprising.

I'm trying to figure out which class the Justy fits into.

So many questions...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-21-2002, 09:03 AM

O/T Rally X

For this I actually found it on the Ultimate Subaru Message Board. Someone asked if anyone else was going. The SCCA of the Susquehanna Valley in PA isn't real active with RallyX so I guess I'll have to drive for anything but autox. You can go to the SCCA website and then find the local websites.

I hope they let me use my motorcycle helmet rather than using one that someone elses head was in. That would make me ill
Old 10-21-2002, 10:25 AM

Re: O/T Rally X

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

I hope they let me use my motorcycle helmet rather than using one that someone elses head was in. That would make me ill
From page 58 of the SCCA Solo II rule book:

"All helmets meeting the current or two immediately preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA and M) are acceptable. For 2002 this includes Snell 2000, Snell 1995, and Snell 1990."

Autocross and rallycross use basically the same rules, so your motorcycle helmet should be good to go.

As for the Justy's class, it should be in the AWD street tire class, which at the rallycross I attended was O4-S. The classes are much simpler than autocross and are listed below (I don't know if these are standard across the country):

2WD Under 2.4L
2WD 2.4L and Over (incl. all forced induction)
AWD

Those are then broken up by tire type:
DOT Street Tire
Dirt/Competition Tire

That means you'll be racing against those lovely WRXs

92 SVX - Sold
98 BMW M3 Sedan
89 Honda CRX Si w/B16 swap
91 Honda CRX Si
Old 10-21-2002, 11:25 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: O/T Rally X

Quote:
Originally posted by shoden

From page 58 of the SCCA Solo II rule book:

"All helmets meeting the current or two immediately preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA and M) are acceptable. For 2002 this includes Snell 2000, Snell 1995, and Snell 1990."

Autocross and rallycross use basically the same rules, so your motorcycle helmet should be good to go.

As for the Justy's class, it should be in the AWD street tire class, which at the rallycross I attended was O4-S. The classes are much simpler than autocross and are listed below (I don't know if these are standard across the country):

2WD Under 2.4L
2WD 2.4L and Over (incl. all forced induction)
AWD

Those are then broken up by tire type:
DOT Street Tire
Dirt/Competition Tire

That means you'll be racing against those lovely WRXs
Swell. Whatever. If I find a RallyCross event close to me, I'll go just for the fun of it. If I enjoyed it enough and if I was at all successful, I might consider putting money into it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-21-2002, 07:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

The noise from the rear brakes is do to all the adjustment being used up. So its touch, no touck over and over. If this started since you got the Justy, your braking is not as strong.
Mama needs new shoes!