Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-05-2001, 11:43 AM
Lowered SVX

slack in drivetrain, cant be transmission?

i guess i have some looseness, play, slack in the drivetrain. aredub drove my car so maybe he can better describe this. my transmission is brand new so that cant be it right? it is like you hit the gas and speed up to about 5-10mph and when you let of the gas you hear like a clunk or something disengaging. it doesnt do it all the time but the frequency is often. aredub help me describe this a little better. eddycat please feel free to provide your expertise.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-05-2001, 11:56 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I'll do my best, Leo. It's the old "give 'er gas, let off, clack, clack" sound. If I was in my old Fairlaine, I'd say she needed U-joints. I haven't (and don't want to have) studied the intracacies of the SVX drivetrain enough to know what that sound means to all that hardware on the belly of our beasties. And just for the record, Leo's car is FWD. Oh, and Leo, you might want to try posting this in eddy's "just the facts" thread.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-06-2001, 12:58 PM
Lowered SVX

EDDDDYYYY.......HEELLPP!!! please?

eddy i really need you on this one. if you dont mind give me a hand.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-06-2001, 04:49 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: EDDDDYYYY.......HEELLPP!!! please?

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
eddy i really need you on this one. if you dont mind give me a hand.
Well, I can't really say with noises, that's why I didn't reply. do you get a sense of where the noise is coming from? Sometimes even on my low mileage '94 I can make it clunk if at just the right time I take my foot off the gas...then it still shifts, and clunks. About all I can say is check the tranny mounts and the front and rear suspension for looseness. Oh, yeah, check and make sure the spare and everything in the trunk is tied down properly . (Oh yeah, you wouldn't even believe how many times that's happened to me...I got a story about a lady that went so far as to demand the rep drive with her, while I sat in the back seat that would fit that scenario).
Old 06-07-2001, 12:59 PM
Lowered SVX

well thanks for replying eddy.

i am sure the spare is tied down because i just recently put it back in there myself. i recently replaced my cv axles so i know it is not that, of course my springs and struts are brand new. my struts mounts are not cracked. i will have the tranny mounts checked. i guess i can take it to the dreaded subaru dealership and let them give it a once over. could it be the brake-band in the transmission? maybe it has too much slack? if they can not tell me anything definitive then the hell with it, i will just let the damn thing break and then pick up the pieces.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-11-2001, 03:34 PM
Lowered SVX

yo eddy.....

for future reference, to add to your archives, when someone reports of a clunking sound upon deceleration it is most likely a mount: sub frame, engine, or transmission. when i have the repair done i will give you specifics in regards to which mount it was exactly.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-11-2001, 05:56 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: yo eddy.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
for future reference, to add to your archives, when someone reports of a clunking sound upon deceleration it is most likely a mount: sub frame, engine, or transmission. when i have the repair done i will give you specifics in regards to which mount it was exactly.
That's why I don't usually respond to noise questions. That's a whole bunch of maybes you've got listed there. And in as much as I'm not there to hear it...I generally don't like to speculate.
Old 06-12-2001, 10:26 AM
Lowered SVX

i understand.

but sometimes speculation is at least a start and may lead to the answer. in this case i do believe it is a tranny mount. but i will find out for sure this week.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-14-2001, 02:49 PM
Lowered SVX

for anyone following this thread....

i was right, it was a tranny mount.....cracked right down the middle. paying $109 for a new one here local.
"Too much fun to drive!"