Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-30-2008, 01:23 PM

Registered SVX
You can be happy that you have done all the right things and have made sure all is above board. You should be able to now trust the shop and can only try to be pleased that you will wind up with a good car. These things happen.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Paul

I'm sorry to hear about this unexpected cost, but you are making what looks to me a correct decision here.

If the box is rebuilt correctly, and you care for it properly it will serve you well for another 100K.

Best of luck with it, I know the cost is painful, but in my experience the good refurb gearbox will repay you. With interest.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
The only bad thing I saw in the picture looked like a planetary gear was overheated. Other than that everything in the pictures looks kosher. There were no pictures of the front diff they are claiming to be bad. Mind me asking where you found a new one?? The grooves you saw were on the transfer inner drum which is typical for these transmissions so that is nothing to worry about. I just hope they are not giving you the hose but 1900 for the rebuild is a very reasonable price so I cannot say they are. Just make sure there is no underwriting or fine print on their warranty policy and it looks like you will be in good standings. good luck

Tom
Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 PM

Just awaiting the return

Tom, Joe, Trevor, and everyone else. Thanks for the moral support. As to the diff problem, the transmission shop couldn't find a replacement one. I found one about 150 miles from here, in a '92 pearlie in a junkyard, but it has almost the same mileage as mine and they want $700 for it there.

But... The transmission shop says there are no problems with the ring and pinion, and there was no noise from the diff prior to the teardown. The only suspicious problem seemed to have happened on the way to the transmission shop from home, about 7 miles. As I was slowing for a red light, the steering pulled to one side, and would not re-center. When the light turned green and I moved away, it came back to normal. So he's going to go through it, and offers me a six months warranty on his work.

That shop does a huge amount of business, and seems to be very highly regarded in the area. It seems to be a lot better than "A-A- Aamco" would have been.

Thanks again, I'll keep everyone posted.
Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
well good luck, lets hope for the best... There was probably just a rut in the road causing the steering to go out of whack, that should not be differential related at all

Tom
Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 PM

Rebuilt Tranny

Im in Tempe, Az originally from NS Long Beach Ca. and I just had my 4EAT tranny rebuilt for $500 just for the rebuild but I had hard parts that messed up too (band, first and second gear, also the planetary) planetary wasnt included in the quote ($750 rebuild kit and hard parts - planetary not in original quote) when my trans was complete he only charged the $750; what he originally quoted me!!! I was worried cause of it being a import but not only that its a subaru!!! So once I got the trans back (I do my own R&R) I was actually very pleased! My trans now shifts perfectly and I only paid $750 woohoo

Athough I almost put a 96 Impreza used tranny in my car - 90k + miles but it was all I could find for my $$$ range.... (THX EVERYONE FOR THE HELP ) but I didnt do the 96 Impreza swap cause this guy from craigslist finally emailed me... Well a long story shrot is.... My highest quote was $3700 but me doing the R&R was $3200 and my lowest quote was $1150 just for the rebuild no hard parts included..... Well anyways the point is I got a killer deal and the guy I met is my new trans guy (I dont deal with trannys - just R&R's) let me know if you need any help Im only 398 miles from LB so ur not much further -- but $$ can be saved... I love my SVX and would do anything for her... If you got the $$ do it!! I dont have CC its just cash only for me

I hope every thing goes well... Let me know if you need any help

This fourm is awesome!!!!!!!!
*1995 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI 78,000mi 3800 S/C