Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2002, 09:45 PM
EverclearAtMSU

common part?

is the alternator in the svx compatible w/ any other subaru?
Old 07-10-2002, 08:38 PM

What exactly do you mean compatible? You can fabricate anything to make it fit something. If I were to take a guess you can probobly use one from a newer legacy. Just have to modify the brakets and wire connection to make it fit.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:11 AM
EverclearAtMSU

I just wanted to know if anyone knew if it would bolt on. Our junk yard is an hours drive away, which is where all the subbies are. I figured this might save me some time if anyone knew off the top of their head
Old 07-11-2002, 06:37 PM
I look like Gordon

For what it is worth:

I did a visual comparison with the alternator in my Impreza. They are nearly identical externally. All the connectors are the same and line up in the same spots, the dimensions appear to be identical. HOWEVER, the front mounting flanges appear to be different. The ones on the SVX alternator are offset a little (front to back) and the ones on the Impreza's alternator appear to be in the same plane. So it looks to me like they are, unfortunately, not compatible. My Impreza is an EJ18, and I think all the accessories on the front are interchangeable on the whole EJ engine line, so it looks to me like you might be out of luck...

Aside from that, I have no idea if they put out the same amount of juice.

Hope that helps. Any corrections welcome
Old 07-12-2002, 06:08 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Thanks for the input.

I finally figured out why my warning lights are flashing in and out! The cooling fan draws 30 of my 70 ams!!! yeah, only 70 ams, plus all the other stuff I run drops that number down to nothing. So I was hopping to find that I had an alternator that would fit the SVX that I could beef up to at least 100amps, if not more. Oh well

Thanks again
Old 07-12-2002, 07:51 AM
Lowered SVX

could the wiring take......

that much of an increase in amperage? that would concern me a little. you dont want to fry all your wiring.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-12-2002, 07:54 AM
EverclearAtMSU

well, 2 big electric fans, 15amps each seams reasonable. I suppose I could swap out the motors for something that will do the same job and not suck that much power. What are those fused at anyways?
Old 07-12-2002, 09:09 AM
Lowered SVX

i am not the expert here......

i just remember talking to a suby tech and telling him that i was going to get a bosch alternator that was much more powerful than the one in our svx's now. he basically told me that the wiring in the svx could not handle that many amps. something to that effect.....someone who has a better understanding of the stuff like the beav will be able to better help you.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-12-2002, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
John Shotsky (from the old Yahoo site) did the hi-amp alternator install. His briefcase link is http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/shotsk...c=bc%26.view=l

Shotsky is the father of the alternator wiring upgrade. He uses an external voltage regulator to control his power, as he has a demanding stereo system. He also had them powdercoat the casing.
His email is shotsky1@hotmail.com

The company he used was Chuy's http://www.chuysautoelectric.com/stereos_frames.htm

They say they can recoil the internals of a stock 75-100amp alternator to put out 150-200amps

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-12-2002 at 09:49 AM.