Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-29-2002, 10:29 AM
Still a member

Send a message via ICQ to strange179 Send a message via AIM to strange179 Send a message via Yahoo to strange179
New SVX and sightings

I picked up my "new" second SVX on Saturday and I'm psyched about it.
It seems the world knew it was an SVX day because I saw 3 other SVX in the morining. These were all spotted in the Rochester NH area. I saw a white one with aftermarket rims at a gas station. I saw a green one with a license plate fame in the back, and I saw a maroon one also. Sorry for not using the technical color terms but I can never renember them all.
My new SVX is a Green '92 LSL touring. It was built in the same month as my blask one, 11/91. It has 179K+ miles on it. It's really nice inside with only some minor drivers seat wear. The stock stereo is there but the previous owner has upgraded the tweeters in the front. The car sat a long time before I got it because of a transmission problem so it has really old gas in it and also a couple of critter nests that need to be taken care of. The seller thought that the tranny was shot because it wouldn't move until the engine hit at least 4K RPM in any gear. I thought that it seemed like the transmission was low on fluid so I checked it and it wasn't event even showing on the dipstick. I added a quart and it seemed to be a little better. On sunday I went out and got 4 more quarts of fluid and added (one at a time) 3 of them and it still didn't seem to be showing up on the dipstick very much. I put it in gear and sure enough it tryed to move at idle. I drove it around my driveway and checked the leven in the tranny. It still needed more fluid so I added the 5th quart. While I was adding the last quart I discovered a huge leak from what looks to be the tailshaft of the trans. I have to get under there tonight and fully diagnose it. An output shaft seal is a heck of a lot cheaper than rebuilding the trans.
Now I get to decide what I want to do with my black one. I'm thinking that it might get a manual transmission someday but I don't know at this point.
Jay

Black '92 LSl 270Kmi 5MT (W00t! for 1/4 million on 4/27/07)
Laguna Blue '94 L about 130Kmi (I think) for parts, in storage
previous: Green '92 LSl 253Kmi 5MT (sold to ron post moose adventure, sold to someone else)
previous: Maroon '92 LSl 130Kmi +- (sold to Ron, mashed by moose, crushed)
Black '89 XT6 5spd AWD (storage)
Old 04-29-2002, 07:13 PM
LearJeff

Talking California sighting...

Today is April 29, '02, my one week anniversary with my "new" SVX. I thought for sure, as soon as I got one, I'd start seeing them all over the place, but that proved to be wrong. I've only seen one other SVX here in the San Francisco Bay Area in this first week of owning mine, and that was today.

It was in the East Bay city of Hayward (near the airport). The car was, um, very well used, some type of light green color (teal? teal-ish?) and had some major body-work/restoration-in-progress happening on the right rear quarter panel.

It was turning left in front of me at a stoplight, and the driver appeared to be testing/verifying the SVX's cornering prowess, to which the car seemed to be responding beautifully if tire squeal was any indication! It looked like the driver and his passenger were having fun and it made me wanna hurry up and get the thousand miles on my car so I could have some fun too!
Old 04-29-2002, 07:29 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile Re: New SVX and sightings

Now I get to decide what I want to do with my black one. I'm thinking that it might get a manual transmission someday but I don't know at this point.
Jay [/B][/QUOTE]

Jay - I must assume you "picked up" this car for a song? Or at least a few tunes? The seller must have assumed the tranny died, but I can't believe he/she didn't notice red puddles everywhere. I'd get the seal fixed, then drive it a while & see which SVX gets the 5 speed. Good luck - Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:52 AM
Still a member

Send a message via ICQ to strange179 Send a message via AIM to strange179 Send a message via Yahoo to strange179
new SVX

Ron, I did get this car for a song. I paid $1300 for the car and just under $200 to rent the towing equipment to get it to my house. My black one has a shot front diff so I pulled out the engine and trans. from that one when it went. I am working on restoring the engine with new seals and vacuum hoses etc. I think I am going to put that engine in the green one and leave the transmission that's in there as long as it seems ok. I will then have a spare working engine and trans. to put in the black one minus the front diff. I need to get one of them on the road ASAP because I don't have any other cars to drive. That's why I think I'll try to put the 5-speed in the black one (if any) in the future. Money is really the deciding factor.
Jay

Black '92 LSl 270Kmi 5MT (W00t! for 1/4 million on 4/27/07)
Laguna Blue '94 L about 130Kmi (I think) for parts, in storage
previous: Green '92 LSl 253Kmi 5MT (sold to ron post moose adventure, sold to someone else)
previous: Maroon '92 LSl 130Kmi +- (sold to Ron, mashed by moose, crushed)
Black '89 XT6 5spd AWD (storage)