How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-01-2004, 06:59 PM
vwmrbill11

air bag lite on

What do I need to replace to get the air bag lite off. Any one else have this problem. Is there an air bag control module. Thanks. Bill
Old 12-02-2004, 02:40 AM

3 ohm resistor mod doesn't work

I tried the WRX 3 ohm resistor mod, but the light stayed on. I will measure the resistance across the bag later today to see if it differs enough to require a different resistor. If all else fails, you can always pull the guages and remove the bulb behind the airbag indicator light.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:07 AM
vwmrbill11

air bag lite

Thanks, How hard is it to get gages out. Thanks. Bill
Old 12-02-2004, 08:06 PM

<<What do I need to replace to get the air bag lite off. Any one else have this problem. Is there an air bag control module. Thanks. Bill>>

if the air bag light is on, it means the air bag will not work properly in a crash. you need to get someone to hook it up to a select monitor or take it to a dealer. Subaru recommends to have your air bag system checked every 10 years.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:20 AM

Assuming you want an air bag

First gen airbags were designed to protect a 200 pound male in a crash. Most 200 pound males are probably in the 6' height range and the airbags are designed to fully deploy a certain distance from the wheel, that distance set according to a 200 pound man's height. My wife is 5' tall and if she ever got in a crash in my SVX with her seat positioned as close to the wheel as she sets it, it would probably hurt her pretty badly. I removed the airbag for that very reason.

There is no substitute for a properly worn seatbelt. Since an airbag is a SRS (supplemental restraint system), not everyone wants it or needs it.

vwmrbill11, if you're trying to retain the use of the airbag, SVXPERT is correct and you should have someone diagnose the problem and fix it. The airbag light is on because something is wrong with the airbag circuit and the airbag may not deploy in the event of a crash.

If, on the other hand, you have disabled the airbag intentionally (as in my case), then removing the bulb will eliminate the dash light.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:35 AM
vwmrbill11

airbag lite

What is entailed in getting to that lite. Thanks. Bill(have tools but not real mechanical- what could I screw up)
Old 12-03-2004, 02:56 PM

<<What is entailed in getting to that lite. Thanks. Bill(have tools but not real mechanical- what could I screw up)>.

if you search for a thread for white face gauges or gauge install, you might find a how to in there on the removal of the instrument cluster. from there, you would look in the back and se there are bulbs that can be removed and replaced.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:55 PM

Be careful with that old plastic

Just keep in mind that 12 year old plastic gets really brittle. I have a spare set of 1992 gauges and every tab that can be broken off is broken off (previous owner). If something doesn't move readily, keep looking for a screw that needs to be removed or a tab/slot mechanical joint that needs to be GENTLY pried apart. Whatever you do, don't start forcing stuff and prying with a bigger screwdriver when things don't seem to seperate easily.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:31 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

If it breaks ya can always get reverse gauges

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Why not pull the code to see what the problem is?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:30 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Why not pull the code to see what the problem is?
How do you pull the code for the airbag system?....I checked the SVX-iw website....I don't think I saw anything for SRS/airbag items. Subaru tells me I have a short circuit somewhere. The fuse keeps blowing.....but they would have needed 2-3 more hours to diagnose the exact problem and get to the airbag control unit.