How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-21-2005, 06:49 PM
KCROGUEDOG

unknown prob.

i was not able to get car in shop today and i have no garage. so tomorrow is the day. my problem is i get a check engine light and my car seems to be less powerful as in maybe in safe mode. i need a oil change im 500 over do to a trip. i get a shakey feeling from the engine like a choke or a cough. i just had my exuast replaced and cats removed. the third o2 sensor is in a h pipe. when i got three days after exhuast is done my first ce light my car ran fine. i was thinking o2 sensor so i un hooked the battery and ce goes away. two more days later driving with cruise on i get another ce. i get a slight hiss from engine and notice a little bit of an antifreeze spatter. car is now running very poor. can a waterpump going out set ce lights? it could be a leak in the radator. im getting in the garage to determine and do an oil change tomorrow and check codes. any bets o2, oil, pump, or all the above. how does a car react before water pump lock up?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Get the codes first so there is no guessing. If you have no cats then the 3rd O2 sensor should be reporting an error.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:39 PM
KCROGUEDOG

after the oil change i found the problem i have a miss fire in cylender 4. the o2 sensor is fine which is good. there doesnt seem to be a head gasket prob. but maybe a plug wire. i changed plugs 2 1/2 months ago. everything has been perfect since 3 days ago. i might just take it to a shop which i know is a bad idea. any suggestions.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
...i found the problem i have a miss fire in cylender 4....but maybe a plug wire. i changed plugs 2 1/2 months ago. any suggestions.
No such thing as plug wires on an SVX. You may have a bad coil pack.

Todd
Old 03-22-2005, 07:38 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i know that what i ment
Old 03-22-2005, 11:37 PM

Plugs

What kind of plugs did you put in? I have had cheap plugs basically fall apart after a while, I'd pull the plugs and check everything you can do before dumping money into a shop.

Steve
Old 03-23-2005, 01:31 AM
KCROGUEDOG

bosch plat 4s. its already in the shop. money is no issue but i rather spend it in other ways like the strip club. i kid no i have no garge and i live in ak its cold. also away from city. wife mil and we are 5 min from base but i am banned for 5 yrs. i some how managed my way there today to check the svx out and give it an oil change. and get codes checked.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
your problem is either knock sensors or spark plugs or their coils... check them all

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:24 PM
KCROGUEDOG

can a knock sensor can cause a cylinder to shut down?
Old 03-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It shouldn't as there's only one sensor for 3 cylinders. When the sensor detects a knock situation it retards the timing to what I would assume to be the entire engine but maybe just one bank.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:00 PM
KCROGUEDOG

that could be it cause my ride was running badly. but the codes ob2 high tech device read only cylinder 4 was missing. no other codes appeared. i would think that could pick up any knock sensors not registering. you think.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:39 PM
KCROGUEDOG

yo shop called with problem and it was the coil. which sucks. if i had a garage i could of figured that out. so problem solved kind of. how much is one coil pack they said $95 does that sound right. also im hosed for the next few days do to lack of product they have to ship from anchorage. booooo
Old 03-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Meow!

Price isn't too far off. I know my dealership would charge more. Subaruparts has them for $76.19.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:34 PM
KCROGUEDOG

k hey thanks for advise e and guys. 97 red in the beginings