How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 11:50 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
For some reason this seems to happen mostly with WRX swaps. The relay trick worked great for me.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:21 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Thumbs up

In the four times I've started my car since setting this up an hour ago, the relay has worked flawlessly. Thanks for the clue-in!

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...
Old 11-29-2004, 01:07 PM

what size wire will work?

I need to put the relay unit in for the starting problem. What size wire works for all the connections. Do I need special connectors. I only seen 10 gauge as the largest at the auto parts store. I need as many details as needed. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 11-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Go to NAPA, use the part number I listed. Tell them you also want some 14ga. wire (2' will be more than you need), 6 female blade type terminals to fit the relay, 1 - 3/8" ring terminal and 1 - 1/4" ring terminal, all terminals 14ga (blue).

I tried to look up a relay socket/pigtail @ Autozone.com but, just like their parts, their website was phhhhhhhhhhht. You don't need one, I just thought it might make it easier for you instead of crimping up the terminals.

Get some electrical tape also (or shrink tubing), to insulate the terminals.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:02 AM

Starting solution

Thanks Beav for the timely reponse. I'll get these items rounded up and within a few days post how it went.

Mike
Old 11-30-2004, 06:04 PM

Don't go too cheap on the relay!

My initial mod was initially only a partial success because the relay that I used, although brand new, was junky (freebie PIAMM air horn relay that came with my $20 air horns) and when it got hot, it starting shorting closed, sending a start signal to the solenoid, causing my starter to engage while the engine was running.

I went to NAPA and looked through the entire relay book and found what I think is the one that is rated for the heaviest duty. It is NAPA AR204 (AR stands for Accesory Relay). Most relays are rated for intermittent use (horn, wiper washer pump, etc.). This one is rated for continuous duty like an AC compressor. Better internals cost money and this relay set me back $17, but my problem is cured.

I know that it's probably overkill to use such a heavy duty relay, but after experiencing my SVX trying to start itself while the engine was running without me twisting the key was enough to make me spend whatever it took to get it right. If you encounter that problem, upgrade the relay.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:11 AM

Relay Choices

Thanks for that bit of information. I haven't been to NAPA yet. I slept too late today. I may just go with the heavy duty model. Considering the heat here and just another $10 its peace of mind.

Thanks Mike