How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 07:51 AM

Separator/Rear Seal Replacement

I'm in the process of compiling the parts I'll need to replace my rear crankshaft seal and oil separator plate, and this is what I've come up with so far:

11831AA150 Oil Separator Cover (which I understand is now made of aluminum, rather than plastic)

801506040 Countersunk head screws for separator plate (How many of these do I need? -- I'm guessing 6 of them)

806786040 Oil Seal

12332AA052 Flex plate (I figure that I might as well install a new one while I'm back there)

800210670 Flex plate bolts (I read somewhere that these need to be changed if the existing flexplate is removed, and I understand that I need 8 of them)

I plan to tackle this job by removing the tranny. The one thing I'm not clear on is what exhaust parts need to be replaced after removing the center section of the exhaust so that the tranny can be removed -- can anyone help here?

Some other questions:

Do I need to cut a gasket for the separator plate?

What sort of sealant should I use when installing the new separator plate?

Do I need to use any sort of thread locker on the flex plate bolts when installing the new flex plate?

I understand that I grease the ID of the new seal, but leave the OD dry -- is this correct?

Thanks for any and all help.

Joe Fillip
'95 L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Swarthmore, PA
Old 09-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: Separator/Rear Seal Replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by lanciat
I'm in the process of compiling the parts I'll need to replace my rear crankshaft seal and oil separator plate, and this is what I've come up with so far:

11831AA150 Oil Separator Cover (which I understand is now made of aluminum, rather than plastic)

801506040 Countersunk head screws for separator plate (How many of these do I need? -- I'm guessing 6 of them)

806786040 Oil Seal

12332AA052 Flex plate (I figure that I might as well install a new one while I'm back there)

800210670 Flex plate bolts (I read somewhere that these need to be changed if the existing flexplate is removed, and I understand that I need 8 of them)
There are four bolts and I have reused mine.
Quote:

I plan to tackle this job by removing the tranny. The one thing I'm not clear on is what exhaust parts need to be replaced after removing the center section of the exhaust so that the tranny can be removed -- can anyone help here?
I think it is easier to take the engine out in a home garage than the tranny. I think it is safer too. The exhaust pipes between the engine and the flange after the Y pipe cat have to come out. I would replace all the gaskets and bolts and springs and have extra exh manifold studs nuts.
Quote:

Some other questions:

Do I need to cut a gasket for the separator plate?

What sort of sealant should I use when installing the new separator plate?
I would use the hardening Permatex gasket maker.
Quote:

Do I need to use any sort of thread locker on the flex plate bolts when installing the new flex plate?
No they will never come out again if you do.
Quote:

I understand that I grease the ID of the new seal, but leave the OD dry -- is this correct?

Thanks for any and all help.

Joe Fillip
'95 L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Swarthmore, PA