How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-17-2004, 12:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Question Transmisson oil filter

Is it good to install an external transmission oil filter....if so....is there any specific type and model tht should be used in our vehicles....I am looking at a purolator L30001 on ebay.... can i go for it or would u guys suggest any other good one....waiting for ur valuable suggestions....

Pavan.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If you search you will find that most people are using either the OEM filter by the radiator or the Permacool one.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:58 AM

Question How to install

hmm....atlast I decided upon buying a B&M transmission cooler and a permacool transmission filter. Can anyone help me how to fix them up or install in our cars (engines), so that me and my mechanic can work on it. I really appreciate if u can provide me a step by step procedure (not soo detailed ) with photos, but without photos is also fine.

Pavan .
Old 08-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
There's some diagrams in svxcess's locker that may help.

Link to Svxcess's locker
Old 08-18-2004, 04:42 PM

Question

hmm.... here is another doubt tht i got when i was driving today...

1. When I was applying brake with leaving the steering wheel free... it turns automatically to its right. it is not so uncomfortable, but i can observe it.

2. Some sound like "woooommm "...(I'm not able to express) is coming from my front wheels when i was increasing the speed, but it's not there when it was below 20-30mph and from then it slowly increases (but it wont become so loud).

here are the some observations from my mechanic...
the sound may be due to the snow tires which will have more thread on them.
The rotating of steering wheel is due to having a new rotor on one side (drivers side) and havin the old one on the other side (passengers side).

I want to know ur obsevations as u r like experts in SVX. I also want to know whether it has any effect on the wear of tires (at present they r in really good shape).

Sorry if I am bothering u a little more....just I am curious to know every thing abt my car.

thanks in advance,
Pavan.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:12 PM

Question trans cooler and filter

can u please tell me which model transmission cooler should we have to use in our vehicles... I am looking at
BMM coolers at summitracing store.
In the case of transmission filters I am looking at permacool .

Please give me ur valuable suggestions so that i can order them.

thanks in advance,
Pavan.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
B&M's 70255 is what most of us use.
I don't know the model of filter kit - but I think they are all pretty much the same thing. Summits house brand filter kit will work fine.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...N=120%20301764
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:41 PM

Thumbs up

immortal_suby,

thanks for ur suggestions... and I am placing an order for them....

Pavan.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally posted by pavanbabut
here are the some observations from my mechanic...
the sound may be due to the snow tires which will have more thread on them.
The rotating of steering wheel is due to having a new rotor on one side (drivers side) and havin the old one on the other side (passengers side).

I want to know ur obsevations as u r like experts in SVX. I also want to know whether it has any effect on the wear of tires (at present they r in really good shape).
He's right. Snow tires are noisy.

For symmetric braking you should have the same brake components on both sides. (i.e. change both rotors/pads on both sides at the same time)

Keep an eye on your tires. I don't think you will notice uneven wear but it's better to be safe than sorry. The rotor will cost far less than a complete set of tires.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:07 PM

Question 5 speed conversion help

Hi,

can anyone tell me how much it will cost for us to change the auto transmission to a 5 speed manual. My sister's hubby is planning to install a 5 speed transmission in his SVX as soon as possible, but he is not aware of any mechanical and mods things in SVX and even he is not a member in our network. I want to help him in his conversion. I have gone through the Huck's conversion manual..but didn't get anything from it (except the procedure ).

I want to know, at first for what transmission should we have to look for and wht r the better places to search for them. Approximately, how much it would cost for whole work to be done including (labor, 5 speed transmission and anyother costs).

waiting for ur valuable response,
Pavan.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Meow!

Cost can vary depending on parts used.

Approx $1800 for the parts for mine (we did all the work). I got the tranny from another member here.

Search for the several 5 speed install threads to see what's involved.

Also read through the 5 speed install how-to.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:40 PM

Question Brake Shudder

Hi,

here is another thing tht i observed while driving... when i was applyin brake while the tires are turned to either direction (like while I am parkin the car), there is a light shudder from front tires. The same thing happens when I was reversin the car and applying the brake. It is not so huge shudder, but i can feel it.
Can u suggest anything to me regardin this. See this happens only when the tires are turned to either direction, but it works fine (no shudder) if the tires are straight.

thanks,
Pavan.