How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-28-2004, 02:52 AM
TonyShaleUK

Key-in ignition whistle

Got in the car, started the engine with the door open. The whistle to signify that the key was in the ignition stayed on. Switched off the engine, locked the door and it is still now, 2 hours later! I have a 2 hour drive home this afternoon - can I easily disconnect (ie where is it!) or do I need cotton wool in the ears!?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2004, 03:02 AM
Phil & Belha

Hi Tony,

This is probably related to your central locking problem. The switch which detects if the door is open is part of the driver's door lock.

If you have a screwdriver handy, I would suggest popping the inside cover off the door and pulling the wires out of the lock (or reattaching them if they appear to be loose)

Phil.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:17 AM

Unhappy Same problem after burglar attempt...

Hi All.

I have a similar problem after a recent burglar attempt to my car.

They opened the door by pulling out the upper part of the door.
Pushed the door lock button up and got inside.
Then they managed to get to the ignition lock breaking the plastic covers and loosen the ignition lock (not difficult because, as you all know, most of SVX's have the two ballhead bolts becoming looses after a few years; now I know why mine had some play).

Now if I enter through drivers door I hear the same bip as Tony immediately and it will go only after I put the key in and turn the switch to the last position (the christmas tree one, just before starting the engine).

On the other hand, literaly, if I enter through passengers side, there is no bip and everything is normal in terms of "modus operandi".

My 2 cents: when the burglars entered they made something that was not supposed to happen which is opening the door without the remote or the key.
This fact is an abnormal situation and therefore whenever this particular door is opened it reports the previous situation until some kind of alarm clearance is performed.

I must say that my CE light is not coming on so I don't know how to clear this alarm.
Do you think this is a ECU related function or could it be specific to the security system?

Tony, are you sure nobody messed with the door locks?

My Owners manual is in German but I believe in yours you might find usefull info on how it works that could help trace and eliminate the alarm.

On the other hand it could be as Phil said, loose wires.
However I think it could be also some of the wires that go to the ignition lock otherwise the key would have been detected therefore stopping the whistle.

Cheers.

Tone