How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-15-2004, 11:16 AM
nextcubepro

Tiny annoyance...

k so, after your car is warmed up, or you've driven it for a while, and you're waiting outside for your friend to run into starbucks and get a mocha double latte **** thing. So you're bored, and you rev slowly to 2,500 RPM for no apparent reason, just admiring how smooth the 12yo engine in your SVX is. And you let the revs down slowly, then you hit 2,200 RPM, and there's this...weird vibration that exists nowhere else in the rev range (believe me, I checked). Like maybe a little shake, no noise generated or anything...like a wheel out of balance at 60 MPH ONLY...just that one area. Anyone else have this condition with their SVX and do you know what it is? Maybe an out of balance crank pulley???
Old 01-15-2004, 11:49 AM
A Little bit less Junior

little shaking

I have the same thing, at a slightly lower rpm. Mine is most noticeable at about 1900 to 2000. I feel it best with door open a foot and hand at rear of door top. I had noticed that my crank pulley was wobbling just a tiny bit (maybe 1/2 mm at front edge) and after reading a lot of posts about these pulleys coming apart at the rubber damper interface, I changed it to a solid aluminum underdrive, and about 30% of the vibration is gone. My guess is that these engines may have a bit of resonance at that rpm that can't be damped out, and 11 year old engine mounts let it thru so you can feel it.

The underdrive pulley seems fine so far, voltmeter shows 14.2 at 600 rpm idle, no load, 13.7 with low beams on, and 12.85 and slowly falling with fogs, radio and A/C on. So as long as long periods of high demand at idle are avoided, the battery will be OK.

Also in Family: '04 Nissan Murano, '98 Lex GS 400, '81 Accord, & '88 Civic w/ an Acura ZC engine.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:15 PM
nextcubepro

Re: little shaking

Quote:
Originally posted by sleepem
I have the same thing, at a slightly lower rpm. Mine is most noticeable at about 1900 to 2000. I feel it best with door open a foot and hand at rear of door top. I had noticed that my crank pulley was wobbling just a tiny bit (maybe 1/2 mm at front edge) and after reading a lot of posts about these pulleys coming apart at the rubber damper interface, I changed it to a solid aluminum underdrive, and about 30% of the vibration is gone. My guess is that these engines may have a bit of resonance at that rpm that can't be damped out, and 11 year old engine mounts let it thru so you can feel it.

The underdrive pulley seems fine so far, voltmeter shows 14.2 at 600 rpm idle, no load, 13.7 with low beams on, and 12.85 and slowly falling with fogs, radio and A/C on. So as long as long periods of high demand at idle are avoided, the battery will be OK.
Thank you!
Old 01-15-2004, 03:03 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Yup, me too, I have it at about 1950, when in nuetral, don't feel when in drive.
Remeber, car doesn't know why you are doing 2000rpms in park, so it gets confused, I would expect this on an older car. With Electronic controlled fuel system.

My Acura listed below does this aswell, but never when its moving. FYI, 87 Legend has ODBII, sweet eh?

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms