How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-14-2004, 01:27 PM
rookie

Automatic Transmission compatibility/restoration

While I still want to explore options that don't have me under a car for a weekend swapping transmissions what other transmissions are directly compatible. I beleive the legacy transmissions for the mid 90s (haven't looked into the years) should be the same transmissions. I know I might as well do a 5 speed swap but I had enough fun doing that on a friends car (300zx, I was smart enough to buy mine with a speed) and I don't want to go through that again (plus my girlfriend isn't that great at driving a manual car, and this will be her car so....), I'd much rather just drop the bad tranny, sell the core, and put a new tranny in.

Anything else besides Legacies that will have a tranny that will more or less bolt in?

Recommendations on aftermarket transmission coolers, looks like I'll be installing one of those if we continue with restoring the car to road worthy condition.

Still going to be arguing with Subaru, have a really strong relationship with a couple dealerships, I am some constituants help them promotions and direct a lot of buisiness their way so I am hoping they will be reasonable.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Impreza and Legacy trannies will bolt up, but you have to get the rear end from the same car you got the donor tranny from. The diffs have the final drive ratio, and if they don't match front and rear, you'll destroy the transfer clutch in (checks charts) five miles.

As for a cooler, I'd recommend a B&M. It'd be pretty hard to clog one of those suckers.

I replaced my own tranny last spring. Photos are in my locker, and feel free to ask me any questions. I could have done it in one weekend, but I found that the tranny mount was broken and I had to wait on a new one.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-14-2004, 02:56 PM
rookie

well hrm

I am pretty sure I can get a rear end for under 200 if I hunt long enough, and I can probably get a rebuilt imprezza tranny or legacy tranny for under $1,000.00....

Mind telling me what year Imprezzas and Legacies I could use, I'll find it myself if not, but if you know.....

Might as well as replace the CV joints at the same time.

This is slowly turning into a lot of work.....
Old 01-14-2004, 03:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
As far as I know, you can use any year AWD Legacy or Impreza tranny and rear end. All of them should bolt up, and all of them should have the same dimensions, so your current driveshaft should work fine.

But you're going to find a range of gear ratios and final drive, and as I understand it the SVX box has tougher clutches.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE