Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-01-2001, 11:11 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Question Thinking of getting another car - talk me out of it!

I don't know if I need a reality check or maybe I would be doing a good thing for myself, but I'm thinking of getting another car. A 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport to be exact. It's not a true GM (I'd never own a real GM), but I am very impressed with it. I like the Euro styling, the comfort, and the seeming solidity and quality of it. While I would prefer a Saab 9-3 Viggen, which I can't afford, I am drawn in by the Catera because it is the last year they are making them and there are dramatic discounts as dealers are trying to unload them. Some people are getting them for almost $10,000 under invoice. So, with a $36,000 sticker price, I can probably get one for $27,000. I may be able to afford that, especially with 0% financing.

While I love my SVX and would probably cry if I got rid of it, the uncertainty and unexpected repairs are killing me. In the last year I've replaced: Transmission, both rear bearings, alternator, A/C hose and condensor, and CV axle. My logic would be "wow, I've fixed everything, nothing else can go wrong!" but I've been wrong before on that before and been burned.

I probably just need a good slap in the face, but if anyone is interested in buying a very well maintained SVX with many new parts, let me know! I MAY part with it

Jeff
Old 10-01-2001, 11:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Thinking of getting another car - talk me out of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by EveryShadeofBlue
I don't know if I need a reality check or maybe I would be doing a good thing for myself, but I'm thinking of getting another car. A 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport to be exact. It's not a true GM (I'd never own a real GM), but I am very impressed with it. I like the Euro styling, the comfort, and the seeming solidity and quality of it. While I would prefer a Saab 9-3 Viggen, which I can't afford, I am drawn in by the Catera because it is the last year they are making them and there are dramatic discounts as dealers are trying to unload them. Some people are getting them for almost $10,000 under invoice. So, with a $36,000 sticker price, I can probably get one for $27,000. I may be able to afford that, especially with 0% financing.

While I love my SVX and would probably cry if I got rid of it, the uncertainty and unexpected repairs are killing me. In the last year I've replaced: Transmission, both rear bearings, alternator, A/C hose and condensor, and CV axle. My logic would be "wow, I've fixed everything, nothing else can go wrong!" but I've been wrong before on that before and been burned.

I probably just need a good slap in the face, but if anyone is interested in buying a very well maintained SVX with many new parts, let me know! I MAY part with it

Jeff
$36k for a J-body? Isn't it based on the Cavalier chassis?

Me, I'd find the Catera to be a total waste of money. But then I wouldn't touch a GM with a ten-foot pole.

I've also never driven one.

My bias against GM is not totally unfounded. Time and again, they place VERY low in quality and reliability. Every family member I know of that has GMs swears by them - even as they have to replace an engine at 70k miles or head gaskets at 50k. I don't get it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-01-2001, 11:39 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph

Quote:

Jeff
Catera, the car that zigs -- That was the commercial I heard in europe a while back... Nice car. But how much more can the SVX go wrong? I'd personally get the saab and spend a little more...

I too have spent a ton on tranny, cv, differentials, breaks, and tires. With 90k just came up, I guess more will needed to be spent. I too want a SVX that will not break but so far, it saved my life yesterday and I am happy with it.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-01-2001, 11:51 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Hehe.. the Catera is not the next generation Cimmarron (remember those... a Cavalier with some leather and Caddy badges?). It's German built and designed by Opel (A European division of GM). I have driven my parents on many occassions and it's a very solid, nice car. No chintzy GM interior, very high quality. I dislike American cars as much as anyone. Remember, Saab is owned by GM as well, so I guess GM does some things better in Europe.

The Saab Viggen would run almost $40,000. No way I could afford that. Even $27,000 is a huge stretch.

After I hit 100K, everything started going wrong with my SVX. I probably will keep it, but just need a pep talk

Thanks everyone,
jeff
Old 10-01-2001, 12:42 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs down

Quote:
Hehe.. the Catera is not the next generation Cimmarron (remember those... a Cavalier with some leather and Caddy badges?). It's German built and designed by Opel (A European division of GM). I have driven my parents on many occassions and it's a very solid, nice car. No chintzy GM interior, very high quality. I dislike American cars as much as anyone. Remember, Saab is owned by GM as well, so I guess GM does some things better in Europe.

The Saab Viggen would run almost $40,000. No way I could afford that. Even $27,000 is a huge stretch.

After I hit 100K, everything started going wrong with my SVX. I probably will keep it, but just need a pep talk

Thanks everyone,
jeff
Jeff - What someone else does with his money is not my business, but in your words, "27k is a huge stretch".
I'll partly agree with you that the Catera is a somewhat underrated car in terms of its performance & construction.
That aside, it's hard to pick the car out of a crowd appearance-wise. I don't know what the warranty is on the car, but it's also a bit of an orphan, in that it didn't sell well & parts could be a problem - familiar? Do you see the SVX needing $27,000 worth of repairs in the next 4 years? The Caddy will depreciate a ton in 4 years while you continue to make your monthly payments to the bank. Why not offer to buy your parent's car when they're ready to unload it? At least you know the owner & the car's history.

P.S. The last two GM cars I had were Oldsmobiles. A '70 & a '77.
One had 236K, the other 190K when I sold them. No engine or tranny problems with either. Go figger! Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-01-2001, 12:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:

Thanks everyone,
jeff
Jeff,

All SVXs seem to go through high-maintenance phases. Overall, though, I consider the SVX to be as reliable as any Japanese car I've known. Stick with it and it'll stop complaining after a bit, I would guess.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-01-2001, 01:50 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX

Quote:

Jeff
Consider your face slapped. Now that you've gotten it out of your system and settle back down into the "real" world, enjoy the SVX. Before you spend that much money on another car, spend a little bit to come to Owensboro and I'll help you change the plugs on yours. That should make you feel a little better.

In other words, don't get me started (note updated mileage on my car).
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-01-2001, 01:59 PM
oneothefewproud

Talk you out of it

I could probably come up with a couple of ways to prevent you from doing it but the chance of you likeing those ways is slim to none.

Chiniese Water torture.
Bambo unde the finger nails.

Couple others as well. But do we really need to go that far.

Wayne
Old 10-01-2001, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Catera is dead

Think hard about the purchase of the Catera as it will be replaced very shortly with the new CTS. The same things that are driving the cost down for you to purchase now (end of life cycle, cars not selling) will also reduce the value of the car on the market after you purchase it. You will end up with an over-priced, unwanted Cadillac (BTW, how old did you say you were, does your username refer to your hair color )
I can totally understand your frustration with the SVX as well as your desire to get something with a warranty where someone else is responsible for the repairs. I sell industrial equipment and that is a constant battle for me and my customers (put $$ in to old machine or buy new). A car is a machine and machines break sometimes regardless of how well they are maintained. None is perfect if they were we'd all be driving one! You need to balance the costs of repairs and the joy of driving versus the costs of payments and the joy(???) of driving.
Old 10-01-2001, 03:49 PM
British Car Junky

Thanks for the inspiration and bit*h slaps everyone! I will probably just keep my SVX and hope nothing drastic goes wrong (I have my eye on the radiator and steering rack...nothing wrong yet, just paranoid).

I tend to only like Orphan or expensive to fix cars..... Saabs, Catera's, Merkurs, you name it. The SVX still gets tons of looks and is a pleasure to drive, so there is major benefit despite thousands in repair expenses this year.

I have 23 more payments on my car, I'm just going to pay my $166.23 (cheap! That's one good thing) a month and pray that the car is still alive at the end.

Thanks for all the help, sometimes we just need a good talkin' to.

Jeff
Old 10-01-2001, 03:49 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The SVX is unique.
Old 10-01-2001, 04:03 PM
oneothefewproud

I have my eye on the radiator and steering rack

Jeff,

There is a company in FL called Reliabilt.

Terry quoted me $159 plus $75 core for the Rack and Pinion. Plus shipping.

Try him.

888-921-7833

I will most likly go to him soon.

Ciao
Wayne
Old 10-01-2001, 04:25 PM
British Car Junky

Thanks for the info Wayne. I don't need a rack YET. It's just on my list of things to watch and try not to freak out about
Old 10-01-2001, 04:27 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks for the inspiration and bit*h slaps everyone! I will probably just keep my SVX and hope nothing drastic goes wrong (I have my eye on the radiator and steering rack...nothing wrong yet, just paranoid).

I tend to only like Orphan or expensive to fix cars..... Saabs, Catera's, Merkurs, you name it. The SVX still gets tons of looks and is a pleasure to drive, so there is major benefit despite thousands in repair expenses this year.

I have 23 more payments on my car, I'm just going to pay my $166.23 (cheap! That's one good thing) a month and pray that the car is still alive at the end.

Thanks for all the help, sometimes we just need a good talkin' to.

Jeff
Jeff, you won't regret it.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI