IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2003, 06:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
A funny thing happened on the way to getting SUBYDOO inspected

On friday afternoon Rosie & I took SUBYDOO ('97 SVX) to Delaware Motor Vehicle (DMV) to get the car inspected and reregistered. SUBYDOO's registration sticker expires on Oct. 15, 2003.

Anyway, we drove to the DMV. At the first inspection station, they test all your lights, wipers, etc. Everything worked fine.
We advanced to the second station where they conduct emissions testing.
Now the DMV instituted their new emissions testing. It uses the car's OBD II system to get the emissions readings.
When we reached the second station, the tester checked the car's VIN and asked us to leave the engine on, get out of the car and leave the doors open. We did what he asked. Then he threw a pad on the floor, knelt down and put his head under the dash. He got up, got a flashlight and started looking under the dash. I asked him what he was looking for. He said he was looking for the OBD II socket that was under the dash on Subarus. I then showed him where the socket was. It's on the right side of the steering column, located where the coin holder is on the '92 SVXes. He was incredulous. He kept insisting that Subarus always put the OBD II connection under the dash.
He connected the OBD II plug to the car's socket and took the readings. He then went to his computer to look up the results. He typed in 1997 Subaru and the only choices to appear were Impreza and Legacy. So the DMV's computer system did not have the SVX in it. I was grining from ear to ear. Rosie was stifling laughter. He tried again with the same results. He told us to stay with the car and he went to get his supervisor. We both had a good laugh after he left. In a few minutes he and his supervisor came out with a digital camera. the supervisor mumbled something at me, got in the passenger seat and took pictures of location of the SVX OBDII socket. The he got out and took some exterior photos of SUBYDOO . The supervisor left and the tester printed out the emissions statement. All the emissions blocks (HC, NO, & CO) were labeled NA. The statement said the car passed. We then drove from the inspection station to the office to pay the bill and get new stickers. We were both laughing like crazy.
It seems that the SVX is so rare that it's emissions numbers are not in the state's computers.

We left the DMV, laughing and went out to eat and drink.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!