How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-13-2003, 01:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
radiator replacement

just curious if anyone could give me any heads up before i go to remove the radiator to install the new one i just got...if any one has any helpful hints or suggestions please tell...thanks for any help
Old 03-13-2003, 01:29 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: radiator replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
just curious if anyone could give me any heads up before i go to remove the radiator to install the new one i just got...if any one has any helpful hints or suggestions please tell...thanks for any help

Mike (Green1995) and Chris (SVXman200) can probably give you some insights. Just don't break your draincock.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-13-2003, 01:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
If you've done any repairs (of any kind) before, this should be a snap. Still, here are my recommendations:

1. Replace the radiator hoses and clamps while you're at it.
2. Might as well replace the thermostat, too. It's, what, four bucks?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-13-2003, 03:09 PM

cool appreciate the replys everything went fine just wanted to check and see if there were any special quirks that the svx had in particular, but everything came out and went in fine just waiting on the coolant to get here from the store and ill be all set, now to fix the oil leaks from the engine
Old 03-13-2003, 03:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
now to fix the oil leaks from the engine

Uhm . . . wouldn't that have been easier with the radiator out?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-13-2003, 03:22 PM

hehe... im sure it would of but without the $300 manuals and the $XXX (insert absurd amount of money here) for all the parts and special tools and that really expensive thing that always gets ya at a mechanic...oh yea time i would have loved to fix them...However i believe that teaching myself how to fix the seals on the engine of this car might be a little harder then working on my jeep so i think i might have to have the dealer do it
unless you all think that someone can replace the typical seals plus cvjoints, plus bearings and possible transfer clutches...i would like to think i can do it but when everytime i look at the engine i get discouraged because its so much more modern then anything else i;ve ever worked on, i dont know if i should get the manuals or just say screw it and have the dealer do it $$$$$$
any help on this is as always greatly appreciated
Old 03-13-2003, 03:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
FYI

I replaced my front engine seal, spark plugs, timing belt and alternator in one fell swoop with no factory service manuals - all I had to help me was the excellent advice found on this here site.

Oh, I did have a Chilton's manual, but the amount of help that book actually provided was questionable...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-13-2003, 03:32 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
everytime i look at the engine i get discouraged because its so much more modern then anything else i;ve ever worked on,
I've got the manuals and the engine bay of the SVX still intimidates the heck out of me. I've been working up the nerve to work on mine -- either one of 'em. I figure I'll delve into the Evil Twin and learn on that one, before I try anything on the more pristine "Patience." Having two of them, I'm gonna HAVE to more myself.

Oh, and the manuals were only 170.00 and change, when I bought them for my 92, back in 99.

But, like Nick said, you can get just about any info you need (including how to do stuff without the Subaru "special tools"), right here.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-13-2003, 04:03 PM

oh boy

well i thoght all was well...any ideas as to why the car is only blowing cold air and not circulating the water????the car is overheating and not pulling the water from the resevoir???any ideas or hints as to what to do would be great...thanks for the help in advance
Old 03-13-2003, 04:24 PM

alright well i forgot to burp the system i believe cause now its ok that burped it...but thanks for the replies and help again
Old 03-13-2003, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
FYI

I replaced my front engine seal, spark plugs, timing belt and alternator in one fell swoop with no factory service manuals - all I had to help me was the excellent advice found on this here site.

Oh, I did have a Chilton's manual, but the amount of help that book actually provided was questionable...
those front seals your talking about would those be the "oh so famous" cam and crank seals???if so was it very difficult???any special tools for the jobs???any advice cause the more stories i hear about people working on it themselves the m ore i want to atleast try to fix it myself...oh yea..are you a mechanic or no, just taught yourself???thanks again
Old 03-13-2003, 08:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
They're not hard to replace, but you will need a couple of things. One is a dremel with a flexible shaft or a 90 degree adapter. You have to drill a small hole into the seal and there just isn't enough room to get a conventional drill in there. While Beav has had success using a pick to pull the seals out using the freshly drilled hole, I had no such luck. They were on way too tight for the pick to be of any use. Instead, I use a very small screw and a couple of different pry bars to pull the seals out.

KuoH

Quote:
those front seals your talking about would those be the "oh so famous" cam and crank seals???if so was it very difficult???any special tools for the jobs???any advice cause the more stories i hear about people working on it themselves the m ore i want to atleast try to fix it myself...oh yea..are you a mechanic or no, just taught yourself???thanks again
Old 03-16-2003, 04:15 PM

so about the seals in the engine...about how long of a job are we tlaking about here with someone who has never done this type of thing before...i mean ive pulled the head off my jeep and the trannny but nothing on the svx....couple days maybe???or more???any recommendations on a good dremmel or will any do the trick???as long as its got the angle or the adapter
Old 03-17-2003, 09:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I've never done it before, but it took me about 8 or 9 hours to replace the seals, water pump, and seals. The first seal took the longest because I was trying to use a tiny hand drill and searching around the garage for something to pull the seal out with. Then I spent another hour or so to go buy the dremmel and other miscellaneous items. The other two seals only took about 10 minutes each, from drilling the hole to pulling it out. I did spend a fair amount of time cleaning the shafts and where the seals seat. Try not to destroy the seals when taking them out, you may need them later.

To install the new seals, I put a little bit of oil on the inner lip of the seal and slid it back on the shaft as far as it would go. Thinking back now, I probably should've put some oil on the shaft as well, since the process of sliding it back probably removed most of the oil from the seal. You won't be able to just push the seal in all the way. I'm sure there's some special tool to properly seat the seals, but I just smoothed out the face of the old seal (because of the screw hole), turned it around backwards so the face of the old seal was against the new one, put on the pulley and started tightening until I was satisfied that the seal was seated all the way. Then I removed the pulley and old seal and reinstalled the pulley.

Oh and incase I forgot to mention it, you will need a strap wrench or something to hold the pulleys still while removing the pulley bolts. A large breaker bar and someone to help wouldn't hurt either.

KuoH
Old 03-17-2003, 12:06 PM
JLittell

Is there a draincock on the bottom of the radiators? Where is it?