How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Quick video of the SVX

http://youtu.be/6A7wND9oibk

Quick shot of my SVX. Lets see here. 11.5:1 compression eg33, stock auto trans. Inverted tarmac rally coilovers. No swaybars. STI wheels and 245/40r18 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires. Just testing out the new sticky autocross rubber and new brake pads. In the next few weeks, the automatic trans will be gone. Replaced with a 4.11 geared 5-mt.
And yes.. This was filmed with a potato.
Cornering is splendid even with the tires not really warmed up. As you can see in the last shot, stopping distance has Greatly improved over stock. 80mph to 0 fast enough to make the windshield sprayers spray just from gravity.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:30 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Quick video of the SVX

Nice, gona be tricky with a 5 speed. Surprised the all stock drive train stands up to that. What is the est. HP?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Perhaps a little more than stock. All that ive done to her is up the compression with thinner head gaskets, mild port and polish to the heads, cold air intake and the aftermarket ignition coils. Im currently running the stock OBDII ecu which, all be in restrictive, has learned to manage this new configuration quite well. Most likely about 250 or 260. But the upped compression changed the torque band quite abit. The eg33 now feels to have a fair bit more torque in the lower rpm range. And its changed the exhaust note from a stock engine. A bit deeper of a tone over stock.

The poor auto wont last long. Even with the car in its lightened state. Its slipping once the power kicks in.
That and im looking forward to being able to change my own gears. Having a better torque split f/r and Far less parasitic power loss. The automatic is a strange beast of a transmission. Its a glorified fwd transmission that gives you some rwd when needed. And who the heck needs a 80 mph 2nd gear? Its no wonder our cars had issues performance wise.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
Perhaps a little more than stock. All that ive done to her is up the compression with thinner head gaskets, mild port and polish to the heads, cold air intake and the aftermarket ignition coils. Im currently running the stock OBDII ecu which, all be in restrictive, has learned to manage this new configuration quite well. Most likely about 250 or 260. But the upped compression changed the torque band quite abit. The eg33 now feels to have a fair bit more torque in the lower rpm range. And its changed the exhaust note from a stock engine. A bit deeper of a tone over stock.

The poor auto wont last long. Even with the car in its lightened state. Its slipping once the power kicks in.
That and im looking forward to being able to change my own gears. Having a better torque split f/r and Far less parasitic power loss. The automatic is a strange beast of a transmission. Its a glorified fwd transmission that gives you some rwd when needed. And who the heck needs a 80 mph 2nd gear? Its no wonder our cars had issues performance wise.
The stock MAF maxes out at ~250, so that's your limit. At the crank.
Thinner headgaskets also messes up the timing a bit: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=59845&page=2 (especially post # 29) You might not be far enough off that it's a problem though.

A m/t in an SVX is very awesome. It completely changes how the car feels and handles.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 AM

Registered SVX

Yes standard gear changing really changes the feel of it. Does not feel remotely the same . I was just saying the AT tranny is not going to last, but changing your own gears is going to sound and feel different. I have never power shifted mine. I don't know if it can take that. I raced both and the Automatic is a lot more consistent .
BTW. I love the hood. Where did that come from ? Steel or glass?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
BTW. I love the hood. Where did that come from ? Steel or glass?
Looks like stick-on hood vents.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
Looks like stick-on hood vents.
Not pretty, but functional. I think it's a stock hood.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 06-04-2012, 02:46 PM

The volume of air that the engine is taking in has not been affected, merely how effectively it makes use of it. With the stock injectors as well, i feel that its within the realm of what the stock ecu and censors can handle at this time. Besides, once I manage to save up enough, ill be going hydra. That will eliminate the mass air all together. The power gains are merely a butt dyno assessment over the stock performance. Once the 5-mt is in, ill give her a dyno run. Whp.. Not keeping my hopes up high in regards to that. We all know that it takes some $$ to crack the 300whp range with our engines less forced induction.

The hood is stock with 2011 mustang rear window louvers riveted on. Merely a test of theory as I noticed that there was a area of low pressure there while driving. It GREATLY reduces underhood temps. So much so that something similar will be created when I get around to ordering a fiberglass hood.

The 5-mt is a stout enough transmission. Anything post 03 has stronger gears via the factory as well. You just cant slap through the gears if you want to keep'em alive. I ran a stock 5-mt in my PGT rally car for years. Only blew up one of them. Snapped the main shaft in half. hehe.
Double clutch, and dont hard launch. Youll be fine. They are not a drag race trans.

Id love to go 6-mt, but all the ones I can find for sale are always on the east coast. The ones over here, you would swear are made of platinum with the prices people want.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Id love to go 6-mt, but all the ones I can find for sale are always on the east coast.
The DCCD truly is exquisite, though. Recommended.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
...And who the heck needs a 80 mph 2nd gear.
I think 2nd gear is my favorite gear in the SVX...
When I'm going 65mph on the highway and floor it that drop to 2nd makes passing people a breeze..

This is what I love about my SVX:

You would prefer this?

Anyways, I love your car. Nice Video.
Please post more, even if its shot with a potato, Youtube doesn't have enough SVX on it.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
The hood is stock with 2011 mustang rear window louvers riveted on.
WTF!! Are you serious? All right, fair is fair now you have to post a picture of that hood.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 06-04-2012, 08:36 PM

Muhahahaha
Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
I think 2nd gear is my favorite gear in the SVX...
When I'm going 65mph on the highway and floor it that drop to 2nd makes passing people a breeze..
Oh yeah! I know that feeling very well. Gives you the "Thats right!" feelin.

Problem is, when you rally, it will cost you. Picture coming up to a sharp left turn on a two lane street corner at 85 mph. Its what we in rally call a L-2. You rapidly decelerate and setup the svx for the corner. Now you have a huge problem. Your traveling too fast for 1st gear to where if you blip the throttle and pop into 1st, your near redline. So now your in the gutless section of 2nd and have to mash the throttle. Your losing time as the engine struggles to spool up and hit its power rpm.
If you only had another gear to fill that massive gap in torque!
With the 5 or 6-mt, you have that additional gear!
Double clutch into 2nd from 3rd and your still in your power range. Throttle up and carry onward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
Anyways, I love your car. Nice Video.
Please post more, even if its shot with a potato, Youtube doesn't have enough SVX on it.
Oh there will be! Once I have something worthwhile to post up, I will.

SMC
Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
The DCCD truly is exquisite, though. Recommended.
*Droooool* Gods, I know
Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
If you only had another gear to fill that massive gap in torque!
With the 5 or 6-mt, you have that additional gear!
Some 6mts have two :P