Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-18-2002, 08:41 AM
"high" in Colorado

It finally happened....

Picture this.....
Friday I was on my way to Telluride for the Blues and Brews Festival with a friend visiting from Texas. This was sappose to be a motorcycle trip, but decicded to take the SVX at the last minute.
All was well until about 40 miles from Telluride.....punched the gas to pass a tourist....nothing happened.....thought I was coming to a stop, then it settled into a gear (2nd, I think), I kept going...

Monday we drove home the 342 miles in the "limp home" mode. I think this is second gear, with a reverse. (Zepp...didn't you play this game??) I was glad to have it. I had already made plans to crawl to Montrose, and leave it with the dealer there.... rent a car...etc, etc. "limp home" was working... Got on I-70 in Grand Junction (Hi Michelle!), set the cruise for 60...and slowly limped back home. It was really weird riding in the right lane, being passed by VW bugs, semi trucks, buses, RV's etc....I had to draw the line at the Baptist church bus from Texas...65 mph, around I went...

BTW...this was the original tranny...a 92 with 164k well maintained miles...

Of course I am going to get a new tranny....I Love the car...and I have too much in it to give up now.

I am looking at my options...
1st Subaru parts: $2917.87 plus 10% shipping....

Is this a Suby re-manufactured tranny? Is it a improved version over what I have now? what kind of warrenty comes with a re-manufactured ?

I have apart # (31000AB860) is this correct?

Is Level 10 worth the effort? (Steve, is yours a level 10?)

BEAV...what do you recommmend?

...sorry for the length...I just had to tell my story...
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 09-18-2002, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Good Luck Tom!

Sorry to hear about your problems. You've only got to replace three more to catch up with me!

I can't offer much insight on the transmission, just my good wishes!

Todd
Old 09-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Tom,

The Subaru trans is a 2 yr warrentee on everything from the front diff to the rear seal. Level 10 does not include the front diff and planet gears and some other stuff. It will cost you more if that stuff is bad. The Subaru trans is the best deal for the money.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:56 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Tom,

The Subaru trans is a 2 yr warrentee on everything from the front diff to the rear seal. Level 10 does not include the front diff and planet gears and some other stuff. It will cost you more if that stuff is bad. The Subaru trans is the best deal for the money.
I agree. I would have the subaru trans if it was available for the 95.

Mike
Old 09-18-2002, 03:07 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Tough call...

I plan to tackle mine before it goes south, hopefully it won't require as much in hard parts that way. However, mine is a '94 which supposedly has all the updates in place.

If I were you I'd probably get the Subaru (remanufactured for them - I've been trying to figure out who actually does it but haven't had much luck. I have found where they send the cores, but that doesn't help finding a deal on a reman unit.) They appear to not have the problems that many others have had when rebuilt by local shops. L10 is probably o.k., I just have a hard time parting with that kind of jack for basically the same unit. (no flames req'd. )

I have an old customer from MO that was talking about moving back to Denver/Greely. He was a Subaru tech and used to work for Fred Emich. Name is Jack Redman and he used to rebuild quite a few Subie trannys when I knew him. Maybe worth your time to see if he's around. If you're planning on keeping it for a while though that 2 year warranty is pretty tempting...
Old 09-18-2002, 03:50 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Tom,
Condolensces on the loss of your go go box. I wish I could say I didn't know how you feel.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-18-2002, 06:36 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

I agree. I would have the subaru trans if it was available for the 95.

Mike
Come again??? No '95 tranny?
Old 09-18-2002, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: It finally happened....

Quote:
Originally posted by subymtnguy

I am looking at my options...
1st Subaru parts: $2917.87 plus 10% shipping....

Is Level 10 worth the effort? (Steve, is yours a level 10?)

Yes I have the level 10. Their standard rebuild is $3264 + $200 for shipping both ways. You can have them upgrade the TC for $600 additional, but it's not required. So...it's not too much more than a suby one. L10 gives a 1 year unlimited miles warranty. Of course you need to find someone to remove/install as well.

I am quite happy with my L10 job. Shifts are crisp, the pump pumps ATF like crazy for good cooling (upgraded pump and valve body are part of the std rebuild) I had it rebuilt 4-01, about 13k miles ago and all is well.

I cannot remember a stock tranny anymore, but I gave Mike and a couple other guys a ride at the big meet, maybe they can compare.

If I had to do it today, no doubt it'd be a 5 sp conversion, but back then....no such thing existed oh well...

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 09-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Re: Tough call...

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
If I were you I'd probably get the Subaru (remanufactured for them - I've been trying to figure out who actually does it but haven't had much luck. I have found where they send the cores, but that doesn't help finding a deal on a reman unit.)
For some reason and FWIW, this post made the name Rixis pop into my mind. Maybe from an earlier thread? I couldn't find the name in a quick search.

I read these threads with much interest - the tranny in my '92 (98K) seems strong, but every little burp, fart, and sneeze sends my heart into my throat (and my thoughts to my bank account).

Best of luck with resolving this.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 09-19-2002, 06:04 PM
"high" in Colorado

tranny problems...

Thanks, everyone, for all the informative replies.
All this input is really useful in determining what approach to take in getting my car back on the road....

Thanks gang!
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)

Last edited by subymtnguy; 09-19-2002 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:17 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

95 tranny

No the reman. factory tranny is only good for 92-94 (94 might not even be in there. Something about the wiring being different is what I was told.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:25 PM
CopsodyX

Re: 95 tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
No the reman. factory tranny is only good for 92-94 (94 might not even be in there. Something about the wiring being different is what I was told.
DAMN...so the '92-93 are available, but no '94/5...what about '97?
Old 09-20-2002, 07:23 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Reman trannies

Its my understanding that there aren't and will never be factory remans. for either 94-on or 95 and on. 1. Different wiring and 2. Not nearly enough numbers made to warrant it. It sucks. I had to pay $3400 to have mine "rebuilt"/ fixed by the dealer.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:54 AM
CopsodyX

That's terrible...I wonder how long the '92 rebuilts have left...yup, i'm gonna put the 5 speed in there soon.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
I just had my transmission rebuilt about three month ago , so far it is doing fine. It cost me about 1550 dollars and has a 12 month or 12000 mile warrentee. , I have over 6000 miles on it. I did add an external cooler on it.. this is in Springfield MO. where I had the work done.. they removed it , rebuilt it, and replaced it for that amount, I thought it was a good deal..